SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Illinois the most dysfunctional state in America?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Illinois the most dysfunctional state in America? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Move over California and New York, a new state is in contention for the 'most dysfunctional' in America.

Illinois is grappling with a string of issues which have triggered a rise in residents departing the state.

The state has struggled to add jobs and its public pension debt has ballooned to nearly $150 billion. Meanwhile, its population has declined, hurting tax income.

Conservative thinktanks have now grouped Illinois with other blue states like New York and California, which have also faced an exodus amid issues ranging from immigration to crime.

'Unemployment rates are very high; wage growth is lagging compared to most other states,' said Bryce Hill, the director of fiscal and economic research at the Illinois Policy Institute.

Hill told the Daily Caller: 'The Census Bureau has reported that residents are leaving the state en masse to the tune of hundreds of thousands every single year, so much so that the state's population has actually been declining for the past 10 years. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/13380179

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9025 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Like most states, I assume this is mainly due to their big cities like Chicago.

A shame. Chicago has a lot of great things to offer, but it doesn't compare to the disfunction it also offers.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38735 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh wait there’s more.

https://www.americanmachinist....source=IY+IW+QM+News

Let’s give a startup EV company that will probably go bankrupt almost a billion dollars of taxpayers money when all is said and done that we don’t have.

This is in response to losing 5 massive companies over the last few years due to taxes but you didn’t fix the tax problem. Bunch of criminals.

Posts: 3937 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been seeing a lot of commercials begging us to vacation in California and Illinois. A sure sign things are down. No need to advertise things people want.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 343 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a former NY resident I still think NY wins handily. Easily the most oppressive gun laws in the nation, horrible taxes, catch and release legal system. And like Chicago run’s Illinois NYC runs NY state. Outside of NYC, Ny is VERY DIFFERENT from what people expect. It is more like rural Pennsylvania or West Virginia in regards to politics and general beliefs.

Posts: 3303 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Yeah.....just don't send them to Indiana.

Posts: 6637 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Being a former NY resident I still think NY wins handily. Easily the most oppressive gun laws in the nation, horrible taxes, catch and release legal system. And like Chicago run’s Illinois NYC runs NY state. Outside of NYC, Ny is VERY DIFFERENT from what people expect. It is more like rural Pennsylvania or West Virginia in regards to politics and general beliefs.

As a life long resident of NY, this is generally correct when you get away from the smaller cities (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, etc.)

Shame that Illinois is going down the same path.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8539 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Bears want the taxpayers to fund their new stadium. lol, sure,right…

Posts: 13824 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever happens in Illinois, remember one thing. The Governor here wants to be the President. JB Pritzker will not settle with the mansion in Springfield. That and his job are small potatoes to him. He wants the White House and the Presidency. And he will be a President that if elected in 2028 when I predict he will run, will be much, much worse that Biden. JB is smart, well educated, articulate, speaks very well, everything that Biden is not. The problem is that he is on the wrong side of everything. Remember his name. JB Pritzker. He is the devil in disguise.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I got on the front of the wave leaving IL. Checked out in ‘97, it was already intolerable. Every trip back to visit family leaves me in wonder. My hometown looks like Detroit, MI. is a role model.

Now MN. fml these dumb asses are hell bent to become a 3rd world state.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5168 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
JB is smart, well educated, articulate, speaks very well, everything that Biden is not. The problem is that he is on the wrong side of everything. Remember his name. JB Pritzker. He is the devil in disguise.

Yes… the devil. Obama also came from Chicago…

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been going on for 8 years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54728 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Whatever happens in Illinois, remember one thing. The Governor here wants to be the President. JB Pritzker will not settle with the mansion in Springfield. That and his job are small potatoes to him. He wants the White House and the Presidency. And he will be a President that if elected in 2028 when I predict he will run, will be much, much worse that Biden. JB is smart, well educated, articulate, speaks very well, everything that Biden is not. The problem is that he is on the wrong side of everything. Remember his name. JB Pritzker. He is the devil in disguise.

The only thing you might have overlooked is he’s also from a billionaire family that funds his campaigns. He spent something like $167 million of “his own” money during last election and despite everyone seemingly hating the guy won in a landslide.

Posts: 3937 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
And here I thought it was spelled Prickster.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8370 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/5460003244/p/1

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54728 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Like most states, I assume this is mainly due to their big cities like Chicago.

Yes. Starting even just an hour or so outside of the big city, the state is mostly farmland full of good, hardworking, conservative Midwesterners. It's a shame how Chicago's dysfunction dominates the entire state.

Posts: 32571 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Related:
Chicago teachers union unveils $50bn demands including lower standards

“The Chicago Teachers Union's contract is set to expire in June which will soon prompt negotiations between educators and the school board.

Union President Stacy Davis Gates said in early March that her proposed contract for 2024 to 2028 'will cost $50 billion and 3 cents.'

'And so what?' Davis Gates added. 'That’s audacity. That’s Chicago.'

The teachers union is demanding nine percent cost of living adjustments every year. 

According to Indeed, the average salary of a teacher in Chicago Public Schools is $67,718. With raises every year for four years, teachers would be getting paid about $95,000 a year by 2028, which is roughly 36 percent higher than the national average.

The $50 billion demand comes despite the fact that Chicago Public Schools spends more than $21,000 per student, far above the national average of $14,347, per the Census Bureau.

And even with the extra $7,000 that Chicago lavishes on its students, the cost doesn't appear to lead to better academic results.

Only 21 percent of eighth grade students in Chicago's public schools were proficient at reading as measured by the Nation's Report Card, which has been cataloguing students' academic performance across all subjects since 1969.

That's perhaps partly why Davis Gates has been sending her son to a prestigious private Catholic school, NBC reported in September 2023. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/13381383

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9025 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Very soon my wife and I are going to add to the count in the exodus. Our new house in Tennessee is very close to being finished!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2672 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My parents just finished their exodus a couple months ago.

They originally moved up to Illinois from Texas ~20 years ago, when my Dad got a job offer that he couldn't refuse. The career opportunity has been good, but they've been otherwise increasingly unhappy with Illinois taxes and laws. Luckily, they lived 1+ hour outside of Chicago, and my father had the opportunity to work from home even well before it became mainstream. So they rarely ever went into the city, and instead spent their time out in the rural outskirts of the Chicagoland suburbs.

Once he retired, that ended the only reason for being in Illinois, and they quickly bought a house down here near me, happily leaving Illinois in the rearview mirror.

Posts: 32571 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post