SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washer/Dryers ... Speed Queen
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washer/Dryers ... Speed Queen Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
Okay, I know this has been hashed over the years ... but I have a specific question.

Am thankful that our stacked Whirlpool Duet has been working for 17 years now ... the washer is starting to get cranky.

Wife and I looked at the Speed Queen TC5003WN (with companion dryer). This is the classic series.

However, we came across the Speed Queen TR5003WN where a few things we liked better ... agitation, motor size.

The conversation here online been focused on Speed Queen vs other manufactures ... but what can you all share with me regarding the different Speed Queen models.

Thank you !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have recently become a convert to the SQ line. in all of my research a common theme arose. People have problems with the TR lines. Some user error, most not getting clothes as clean as they thought they should biggest complaints

stay with the TC models or the front loaders are the comments from appliance repair techs across the inter webs

I bought the FF7 front loader. the updated new model matching dryer DF7 should be delivered this upcoming week

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know everyone likes Speedqueen for good reason.

On the other hand, I have gone 40 years, gave it to the guy who delivered the new ones. It may still be working. Now 17 years still going, and now 3 years with Whirlpool.

Not seeing a reason to change.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
The analog washer is considered bulletproof. Ours is a 2016 model and so far no problems. Matching nat gas dryer has been troublefree as well.

As I recall, SQ discontinued analog model for a while but a huge customer outcry forced them to bring analog back.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was a Maytag Whirlpool washer dryer owner for years basic machines easy to work on myself. When the washer finally needed replacing, we went with the Speed Queen TC5003n. Top loading basic machine, but it does have electronics behind the panel but not overdone digital. Very pleased, will do again in 20 yrs. Smile When our dryer gave up the ghost. researched and bought a GE because it was rated for an extended vent. Laundry room is not on an outside wall. Older dryer struggled to exhaust and vent needed cleaning often. This was before the washer and speed queen wasn't on my radar for a dryer. Have used the digital front load washers and had zero interest in getting one. No regerts with the Speed Queen

Posts: 112 | Location: Deep south | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Google says this:
quote:
What is the difference between Speed Queen TR5 and TC5?
The TC5 has a two-speed ½ hp motor, whereas the TR5 has a variable speed, 1 hp motor with a maximum spin speed of 820 RPM. This could come in handy if you're frequently doing large loads of heavily soiled items. The TC5 has two different load size selections, whereas the TR5 has three.

What that means for reliability, I'm not sure, but that seems to be the primary differences.

comparison article

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Just a little drift but any thoughts on Speed Queen *stackable* W/D? https://speedqueen.com/product...her-dryers/sf7007we/
The washer in my 21 year old GE stackable set is getting pretty noisy and although I've heard pretty good comments from a few people I know with Speed Queen's conventional top load units I've no knowledge or experience with their stackable.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought the basic Speed Queen washer and dryer 5 years ago. We have had no problems with them. They get clothes clean and agitate vigorously. However the spin speed is rather slow, particularly if you wash a lot of blue jeans. You pay for this in the dryer because the jeans come out of the washer pretty wet and require a longer drying time. This is not as much of a problem on dress and sport shirts.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Just a little drift but any thoughts on Speed Queen *stackable* W/D? https://speedqueen.com/product...her-dryers/sf7007we/
The washer in my 21 year old GE stackable set is getting pretty noisy and although I've heard pretty good comments from a few people I know with Speed Queen's conventional top load units I've no knowledge or experience with their stackable.

It’s basically the FF7 and DF7 in one unit. Should be good to go

It’s a beast at over 400#

My FF7 is just shy of 300#

Same units as the commercial front loaders with different controls

Residential units is only 15% of their business

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
quote:

What the heck are you talking about ... I did not understand your comment to my question.

Explain to me simply please. Thanks.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
quote:

What the heck are you talking about ... I did not understand your comment to my question.

Explain to me simply please. Thanks.

See my first post

This was to answer ridewv’s thread drift

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
To cut to the short ... today I bought the the Speed Queen TC5 and DC5 tp be delivered in a couple of weeks to give me a chance to get the laundry room remodeled.

Correction: bought the 5 series, not the 3.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old dino,

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you snwghst. I believe I'm going to go with SQ SF7 stackable, since my current washer is still going I think I'll wait a bit to see if there is a sale or rebate. Currently $4,199 at Don's Appliance.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dryer got delivered today. Didn’t have clear communication with the sales person and the old model dryer got brought so had to wait a few weeks after the washer since they just started shipping, Both have the risers (short fiancé) Need to raise the dryer a bit, even though it was installed level to match the washer height
FF7 and DF7. Both new models

posted Hide Post
quote:
To cut to the short ... today I bought the the Speed Queen TC3 and DC3 tp be delivered in a couple of weeks to give me a chance to get the laundry room remodeled.

Congrats!! They will do you very well.

posted Hide Post
What's the wash time ?

The cabrio' s that I purchased take an hour to hour and 13 minutes.

I'd buy them again,
But I'd buy three washers and three dryers.

Mom did laundry in a wringer washer.

It took her 25 minutes to wash,rinse and wring out.
Then out to the cloths line.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
To cut to the short ... today I bought the the Speed Queen TC3 and DC3 tp be delivered in a couple of weeks to give me a chance to get the laundry room remodeled.

Congrats!! They will do you very well.

I made a correction to my post ... bought the TC5 and DC5 series, not the 3 series.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
What I have yet to find ... is the spacing requirement for the Speed Queen TC5 and DC5 side-by-side between and wall and cabinet.

I have the measurements for both, and can factor in gap spacing but would still like to know to validate what I am calculating. The washer/dryer will be installed next to a wall and the new cabinets will be figured out and added afterwards.

Appreciate your thoughts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
What I have yet to find ... is the spacing requirement for the Speed Queen TC5 and DC5 side-by-side between and wall and cabinet.

I have the measurements for both, and can factor in gap spacing but would still like to know to validate what I am calculating. The washer/dryer will be installed next to a wall and the new cabinets will be figured out and added afterwards.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Installation manual. 6” when vented out the back. I looked at the dryer first

https://docs.alliancelaundry.c...uction/D516901en.pdf

Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
We moved and bought new W/D Speed Queens, nine years ago - NO ISSUES. We went with them after managing an apartment complex for several years, which had SQ W/Ds coin operated. I can't recall any issues with them after constant use.

Cheers

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post