SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Vehicle Colors Seen?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Vehicle Colors Seen? Login/Join 
posted
New vehicle colors seen recently on the road, internet blurbs, and on TV., seem to be missing the metallic undertones of the past years. To me me they resemble the paints of the 50's and 60's. Is this a trend that is repeating itself? I am sure these paints and clearcoats are much more durable, than the paints of the past, but is this a cost related decision, a designer attempt at something new, or some other factor?

Jim

Posts: 1354 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Primer grey seems to be a popular color, but all I can think of when I see it is primer grey.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
In the mid-1980s I was driving a primer black Skylark. Before it was 'cool'. A friend's shop class never finished their job, I thought it was fine, and drove it that way for a year. The ridicule I endured Roll Eyes

I'll spend two years deciding on a new vehicle, and started perusing manufacturer's websites a couple of months ago. Good to know dark grey is still in style.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
In the mid-1980s I was driving a primer black Skylark. Before it was 'cool'. A friend's shop class never finished their job, I thought it wa Big Grin s fine, and drove it that way for a year. The ridicule I endured Roll Eyes

I'll spend two years deciding on a new vehicle, and started perusing manufacturer's websites a couple of months ago. Good to know dark grey is still in style.

But you didn't need to wax it!! Big Grin

Posts: 1571 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Non metallic paints are making a come back.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve noticed most makes are coming with a sort of clay looking finish. Different colors but always sort of looks like clay or concrete. At first I thought I liked it but after seeing it everywhere I’m not a fan.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I love Toyota's new non-metallic dark green color, "Army Green". I really like green, but green cars are uncommon, and I have seen very few green cars that I've liked over the years. Most are either too bright or too blue/teal.

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me a lot of the new colors, look like you simply ran out of paint and mixed 2 existing colors together.....I like crisp, clean looking colors......not blue/grey etc.....

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I dunno. Some cars look good whether metallic or matte. It's a matter of taste, I guess.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I saw an A-class Mercedes from the Kecskemét plant on display in an airport in Europe. I said to myself, WTF. They forgot to paint the damn car. Dark primer grey. I walked up to it and ran my hand across it and it felt like a finish coat. Another WTF but if I’m going to spend MB money on a new car it better look like a new car and not a car from a body shop waiting for the finish coat.

However, I do like the desert sand and Navy grey colors that Toyota is using on trucks. I’m not going to buy a new one but they do look good.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I am in Arkansas right now and the primary colors used seem to be all duct tape colors. Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am missing the metallic colors myself, particularly the dark navy blues and dark greens.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2787 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I saw a gorgeous penny copper colored Explorer today.

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Some strange colors out there. I hate the matte look. I prefer metal flake free normally, but I love my new Velocity Blue car.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21142 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Pastel colors on cars in now a thing.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The Jeep Renegade (a popular vehicle around here) is coming in funky pastel colors lately.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 2019 Durango.
Destroyer Gray.
It has an odd glow about it at night under a security light.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I love Toyota's new non-metallic dark green color, "Army Green". I really like green, but green cars are uncommon, and I have seen very few green cars that I've liked over the years. Most are either too bright or too blue/teal.

My Outback is a dark forest green. The current Outback is more of an olive drab.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Tacoma is orange, it wasn’t common when I ordered it. See them everywhere now

I like purple dodge SRT challengers and I think they made them recently in Lime and pink like the old Rapid Transit System colors. If you have 700hp on tap I don’t care what color it is. Same with wild colors on Lamborghini’s

Posts: 4972 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
The color of cars for the past few decades is un-color. What is wrong with people? They buy these cars of varying shades of grey and black. It is uncommon to see a red, blue, yellow, orange, green car as back in the 50s or 60s.
Vehicles which are the color of the highway asphalt are dangerous because they cannot be seen at a glance.
There is something wrong with the psyche of people nowadays. They think that these shades of grey are attractive? Or if that is too flashy for them, they get white!. This is sick.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post