SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man shoots 11 & 13 year old, because they tried to rob him at gunpoint
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man shoots 11 & 13 year old, because they tried to rob him at gunpoint Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We'd better get our heads straight on this. Not all children are children. The more our culture decays into 3rd world cesspool status, the more assault children there'll be and the younger too.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29609 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's nothing wrong with the juvenile justice system, even in California where I worked as a LEO for 30+ years and a defense investigative/expert resource since retiring in 2008. Juvenile courts throughout the country have always had an emphasis on what actions could be taken to help the minor become rehabilitated. The problem is that children these days aren't being taught the importance of right and wrong. Worse, they're being indoctrinated at home and in the schools that they're entitled short term benefits from whatever actions they take (lawful or not) because they're "VICTIMS of oppression" no matter what. If kids are "learning" this lesson from all sources besides the courts, how can the juvenile justice system change that mental state once a matter falls under their jurisdiction? The judges involved aren't broken, the children are.

You and I agree that the root of the problem is that the home is broken, and as such the kids are not being taught consequences and responsibility. We also agree that the justice system may be the last chance that a lot of these kids have. The problem is that the justice system puts a huge emphasis on keeping the kids in the home...the same home that's been failing them from the very beginning. So now these kids see that there are no consequences from their parents, there's no consequences from the schools, there's no consequences from probation, and there's no consequences from the cops or the courts, because they're just going to get sent home no matter what they do. Their poor behavior is reinforced at every step of the process.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
There's nothing wrong with the juvenile justice system, even in California where I worked as a LEO for 30+ years and a defense investigative/expert resource since retiring in 2008. Juvenile courts throughout the country have always had an emphasis on what actions could be taken to help the minor become rehabilitated. The problem is that children these days aren't being taught the importance of right and wrong. Worse, they're being indoctrinated at home and in the schools that they're entitled short term benefits from whatever actions they take (lawful or not) because they're "VICTIMS of oppression" no matter what. If kids are "learning" this lesson from all sources besides the courts, how can the juvenile justice system change that mental state once a matter falls under their jurisdiction? The judges involved aren't broken, the children are.

You and I agree that the root of the problem is that the home is broken, and as such the kids are not being taught consequences and responsibility. We also agree that the justice system may be the last chance that a lot of these kids have. The problem is that the justice system puts a huge emphasis on keeping the kids in the home...the same home that's been failing them from the very beginning. So now these kids see that there are no consequences from their parents, there's no consequences from the schools, there's no consequences from probation, and there's no consequences from the cops or the courts, because they're just going to get sent home no matter what they do. Their poor behavior is reinforced at every step of the process.

Most crimes addressed in juvenile court are relatively minor (no pun intended) and certainly there are some parents that can and do work with the court to get the child on the right track. It's in the community's best interest as well as that of the child to address the home issues and keep the minor there if at all possible. We can't and shouldn't institutionalize every juvenile offender for every crime he/she is responsible for committing. If there isn't any responsible parent in the minor's life, the court has and can use the ability to direct the child somewhere else (including other family members' homes), where proper supervision and leadership can be found. It's not necessarily and "either-or" situation, where kids are forced to remain in a bad environment.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Thug larva will eventually mature into full blown antisocial savages without proper upbringing at home. When right vs. wrong is skewed by cultural values (or lack thereof) it’s no longer right vs. wrong, it’s get caught/get away with.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
We can't and shouldn't institutionalize every juvenile offender for every crime he/she is responsible for committing.

Agreed as well. Every kid doesn't need to go into the system, and there are plenty of minor things that should be resolved at home. But when the kid is beating the crap out of Mom or Dad, runs away 3 or 4 times in the same night, battering cops, or getting involved in vehicle pursuits with stolen cars and/or stolen guns, just having them go spend the night at grandma's or sending them home to mom and dad isn't going to fix it. That's the point where they need locked up to protect the rest of society from their behavior and provide them with an understanding of consequences that they're clearly not getting at home. That's the stuff I'm talking about, and we deal with it here on a very consistent basis.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
We can't and shouldn't institutionalize every juvenile offender for every crime he/she is responsible for committing.

Agreed as well. Every kid doesn't need to go into the system, and there are plenty of minor things that should be resolved at home. But when the kid is beating the crap out of Mom or Dad, runs away 3 or 4 times in the same night, battering cops, or getting involved in vehicle pursuits with stolen cars and/or stolen guns, just having them go spend the night at grandma's or sending them home to mom and dad isn't going to fix it. That's the point where they need locked up to protect the rest of society from their behavior and provide them with an understanding of consequences that they're clearly not getting at home. That's the stuff I'm talking about, and we deal with it here on a very consistent basis.

I also agree. I can only speak to Texas, but most of the kids who commit minor offenses are placed on probation and are at home. The kids who commit very serious crimes remain locked up until they are sentenced and then serve their time. However, there are MANY kids locked up because they were placed on probation for a minor offense and repeatedly violated their probation by running away multiple times, testing positive for drugs, committing more crimes, and other probation violations. Eventually the judge determines the juvenile does not have adequate supervision at home so they are locked up to go through treatment programs. Then if the kid doesn't work the program and commits felonies by constantly assaulting staff, they get sent to state jail.

This is why it bothers me about these people that want to shut down the state prisons and keep the kids at the county level. You have many kids that committed lower level offenses but are locked up because their parents don't give a crap and let them do what they want. The facilities are trying to work with these kids to turn them around and having dangerous kids or kids who just don't care at the county facility doesn't help. Those kids need to be locked up at the state level.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
At least it wasn't on a school day.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Thug larva will eventually mature into full blown antisocial savages without proper upbringing at home. When right vs. wrong is skewed by cultural values (or lack thereof) it’s no longer right vs. wrong, it’s get caught/get away with.

Feral yutes should be dispatched as swiftly as mature thugs. Only then will the pattern end!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4562 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Massad Ayoob has said, "The younger serpent has the stronger venom." The bite from a baby rattlesnake is often more potent than that of an adult. If the adult snake bites you, it is not evil, it is only trying to defend itself. It knows it can't kill and eat you and only injects enough venom to stop what it sees as a threat. The baby hits you with everything it has. So it goes with these child predators. There are accounts (apocryphal) of hardened, "lifer" criminals who profess to be disturbed, even appalled, by the conduct of some of these children.

quote:
The juvenile justice system is broken …

It has been for many years. Our system was designed for the kid who steals a loaf of bread from the grocery store because his siblings are hungry, stealing hubcaps off cars, minor vandalism, etc., not these killers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
That's right, a group of teenagers, stole a car, used guns to rob at least one other person, then pulled up and tried to rob this guy. He wasn't having it and opened fire wounding 2 of them.

Where are the parents of these delinquents? No idea what your kids are doing on a Sunday? I'm just waiting for the angry mothers to show up on TV and demand the true victim be arrested for shooting their innocent babies "who didn't do nothin'". Not sure how well that argument stands as at least he shot them in the leg Big Grin

From a different perspective, I think most of us here are fairly well prepared, in one form or another, to defend and attack from an adult. When the attacker is a child, or an armed child that puts an entirely different spin on things. I think there is a psychological, and sociological premise that because they are kids they are not really dangerous, or are less harmless than an adult. Perhaps true prior to 1990 in most areas but that is clearly not true any more. Granted most kids lack the physical strength of an adult but they also lack the critical thinking and good decision making skills. Yet as an adult in that scenario, many seem to expect you to be able to handle it in way that prevents the child from getting hurt. Talk about a catch 22.

How do you prepare for that? How sad that we even have to have this discussion.

The story...
https://www.wwltv.com/article/...67-b11c-1adb78328148

NEW ORLEANS — A man shot and fired at four would-be robbers who police believe were involved in a string of crimes Sunday, injuring an 11-year-old and a 13-year-old suspect in the process.

The incident occurred on Sunday, April 30 in the 4900 block of Eastern Street in the Gentilly Woods area.

The NOPD said the two juveniles who were shot suffered leg injuries and were taken to the hospital for treatment.

They said the four were also suspected in as many as three other incidents, including a stolen vehicle in the 5700 block of Press Drive earlier Sunday, a simple robbery in the 2400 block of Jay Street, and an armed carjacking in the 6400 block of Painters Street.

Police said the stolen vehicle on Press Drive was the one used in the attempted robbery where the victim shot back.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v1Z-xZyLRp8" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]
Nothing to see here as they were only "teens".

Posts: 94 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I notice there has been no mention of ethnicity.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That may be true for the hardest of hard cases, but for many getting hauled into court and finding your fate rests with people where mom can't step in and intervene is an eye opener.

Repeat offenders, hard cases, those that commit felonious crimes over and over, that's a different case, altogether....

Everyone deserves a shot at rehabilitation and proving their fealty to the law....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
a group of teenagers, snip, used guns to rob at least one other person, then pulled up and tried to rob this guy. He wasn't having it and opened fire wounding 2 of them.

Same thing happened on a bicycle path near Reading, Pennsylvania, several years ago.

One teen wasn't so lucky and was killed. AFAIK, no charges were filed by Police against the shooter.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do believe in rehab,for minor crimes, but without punishment, rehab means nothing. If the state wants to not punish and choose rehab, they should be responsible for the outcome. There is no more accountability anymore with anyone it seems. Everyone passes the buck. Until accountability is used, we will see more and more of this behavior.

For the ones in the article that do the things they do, I don't think there is any rehab. Some people are evil and will use the system to their advantage knowing someone else will help them out, just like the media does when reporting these crimes. It is funny when I see the term " teenager" used when it is referred to an 18 or 19 y/o, to draw sympathy for the perpetrators. Like someone else said here, the innocent need to be protected from those that choose to do evil, no matter their age and jail/prison is how we do it.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Take a wild guess. Thos cids didin du nuffin.

Have a buddy who was a probation officer. He said he had one as young as 8 for robbery of a street vendor. And a 10 year old for rape.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't believe that ethnicity or race has anything to do with it. Nothing at all. It's the "culture" that influenced these kids. True, that "culture" is likely to be found among certain ethnic groups, but it has nothing to do with DNA; it's a way of life that is passed on by example, not by genetics.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I don't believe that ethnicity or race has anything to do with it. Nothing at all. It's the "culture" that influenced these kids. True, that "culture" is likely to be found among certain ethnic groups, but it has nothing to do with DNA; it's a way of life that is passed on by example, not by genetics.

Precisely. Perfectly said.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29609 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Oh, I agree. I just thought it interesting that it had not been mentioned. That in itself says something. The news media is not usually so silent about it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I’ve told this story before… I started my career in juvenile corrections. We were trained that juveniles are the absolute most dangerous people in society. And especially the most dangerous prisoners. The 12-16 year old urban male that’s been raised by the streets lacks empathy for others and self control. They will kill without remorse and without even thinking about the consequences.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
We got them around here. The previous owner moved because of the bad behavior of the neighbors and kids.

Dogs shitting in the yard, neighborhood kids breaking into cars, kids stealing anything not locked up, and shooting fireworks upon the roof of your house.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post