SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man shoots 11 & 13 year old, because they tried to rob him at gunpoint
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man shoots 11 & 13 year old, because they tried to rob him at gunpoint Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
That's right, a group of teenagers, stole a car, used guns to rob at least one other person, then pulled up and tried to rob this guy. He wasn't having it and opened fire wounding 2 of them.

Where are the parents of these delinquents? No idea what your kids are doing on a Sunday? I'm just waiting for the angry mothers to show up on TV and demand the true victim be arrested for shooting their innocent babies "who didn't do nothin'". Not sure how well that argument stands as at least he shot them in the leg Big Grin

From a different perspective, I think most of us here are fairly well prepared, in one form or another, to defend and attack from an adult. When the attacker is a child, or an armed child that puts an entirely different spin on things. I think there is a psychological, and sociological premise that because they are kids they are not really dangerous, or are less harmless than an adult. Perhaps true prior to 1990 in most areas but that is clearly not true any more. Granted most kids lack the physical strength of an adult but they also lack the critical thinking and good decision making skills. Yet as an adult in that scenario, many seem to expect you to be able to handle it in way that prevents the child from getting hurt. Talk about a catch 22.

How do you prepare for that? How sad that we even have to have this discussion.

The story...
https://www.wwltv.com/article/...67-b11c-1adb78328148

NEW ORLEANS — A man shot and fired at four would-be robbers who police believe were involved in a string of crimes Sunday, injuring an 11-year-old and a 13-year-old suspect in the process.

The incident occurred on Sunday, April 30 in the 4900 block of Eastern Street in the Gentilly Woods area.

The NOPD said the two juveniles who were shot suffered leg injuries and were taken to the hospital for treatment.

They said the four were also suspected in as many as three other incidents, including a stolen vehicle in the 5700 block of Press Drive earlier Sunday, a simple robbery in the 2400 block of Jay Street, and an armed carjacking in the 6400 block of Painters Street.

Police said the stolen vehicle on Press Drive was the one used in the attempted robbery where the victim shot back.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sad that this happens, not the self defense, but the kids involved in crime.

Kids have been doing this stuff for a while, gang members possibly, imagine that our LEO members have plenty of stories involving minors and altercations where they broke the law....

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
shot and fired
So...which one was it?

"Journalists" these days are idiots.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eagle10
posted Hide Post
The victim should have shot their 'third' leg off so that they cannot reproduce.

Posts: 112 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
11 and 12 years old. Probably been on the streets for several years with no consequences. Mature beyond what we would normally think of an 11 or 12 year old due to that street life.
Too fucking bad. lucky they aren't dead.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Here in Texas, and probably everywhere else, it is shocking how many juveniles are locked up for either murder or aggravated robbery. Yeah and THEN that is when the mom becomes a helicopter mom. Why weren’t you that way before to prevent this?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they are getting linked to multiple other crimes around New Orleans. local news has been following it closely

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Here in Texas, and probably everywhere else, it is shocking how many juveniles are locked up for either murder or aggravated robbery. Yeah and THEN that is when the mom becomes a helicopter mom. Why weren’t you that way before to prevent this?

This leads me to ask:

If the mother is on welfare and gets money to support her kids, does she continue to collect the child support if the kid is locked up?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A kid with a gun and or a knife can kill you just as easily as an adult with a gun or a knife. Heck, my 14 year-old is 6'1" and weighs about 275...he outweighs me by 80 lbs and could probably beat me to death with his bare hands if he really wanted to. The difference is he wouldn't, because he was raised with some moral standards and isn't a delinquent.

The juvenile justice system in this country is completely broken, even in conservative areas. It's all about "rehabilitation" instead of punishment, and kids, especially those who have been through the system, are fully aware that they will not be held accountable for their actions. In our county, for example, it takes a level 4 felony (stuff like arson, battery with a deadly weapon, etc.) or above to get a kid sent to juvenile detention. Instead, they just release them to the parents, who's inability to do their job as a parent is the primary reason for the issues in the first place.

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
A kid with a gun and or a knife can kill you just as easily as an adult with a gun or a knife.

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 83 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

This leads me to ask:

If the mother is on welfare and gets money to support her kids, does she continue to collect the child support if the kid is locked up?

They will just get less money for there being one less person in the house. Not sure if there is a system in place to catch it for juveniles though. For adults, there is a prison matching system that will catch if a person is claimed to be in a household getting public assistance but is actually in prison. When I worked for HHSC-OIG household composition fraud cases were one of the main types of cases we had.

Edit: My bad, now I see you said child support. I was thinking welfare. Yeah not sure on child support.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
The juvenile justice system in this country is completely broken, even in conservative areas. It's all about "rehabilitation" instead of punishment, and kids, especially those who have been through the system, are fully aware that they will not be held accountable for their actions. In our county, for example, it takes a level 4 felony (stuff like arson, battery with a deadly weapon, etc.) or above to get a kid sent to juvenile detention. Instead, they just release them to the parents, who's inability to do their job as a parent is the primary reason for the issues in the first place.

When can we accept that there are people who are so evil that they cannot be rehabilitated?

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
They’re feral animals.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Edit: My bad, now I see you said child support. I was thinking welfare. Yeah not sure on child support.

'Round here, if the average public assistance recipient has a Child Support order against a biological father, it's only because an agency forces them to file as a condition of receiving benefits.

This leads to some highly entertaining Domestic Relations dockets:
1/1 Complaint for Paternity filed. Order issued for DNA tests [Possible Baby Daddy 1]
2/18 Complaint dismissed.
2/23 Complaint for Paternity filed. Order for DNA tests [Possible Baby Daddy 2]
3/30 Complaint dismissed.
4/4 Complaint for Paternity filed. Order issued for DNA tests [Possible Baby Daddy 3]
5/1 Complaint dismissed.

... and so on, as the recipient plays the "Who's the Daddy?" lottery. One actually told me that she was filing against random dudes she knew, just to avoid having her 'fare cut off while the process went through, but there was no way she was going after the ACTUAL father.

Assistance fraud cases were our "low hanging fruit." Quick cases, fairly simple proofs, but with little chance of the .gov ever seeing more than a tiny fraction of the restitution ordered in criminal cases. Not very high return on investment, but fun in their own right.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to become more in favor of laws that hold the parents responsible for the delinquency of their children, especially in cases like this.

I believe it is a parents responsibility to prevent their children from harm, but also to prevent them from harming society.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:

There's nothing wrong with the juvenile justice system, even in California where I worked as a LEO for 30+ years and a defense investigative/expert resource since retiring in 2008. Juvenile courts throughout the country have always had an emphasis on what actions could be taken to help the minor become rehabilitated. The problem is that children these days aren't being taught the importance of right and wrong. Worse, they're being indoctrinated at home and in the schools that they're entitled short term benefits from whatever actions they take (lawful or not) because they're "VICTIMS of oppression" no matter what. If kids are "learning" this lesson from all sources besides the courts, how can the juvenile justice system change that mental state once a matter falls under their jurisdiction? The judges involved aren't broken, the children are.

In CA now and so many other states, "activists" are reinforcing this horrible mentality by doing all they can to keep minors from even entering the justice system, where their narrative can be challenged. That's the point of taking cops out of the schools (as resource officers) and "progressive" school board members' insistence that crimes committed on campus be handled by school administrators rather than letting the child be "funneled into the campus to prison pipeline."

I've seen a lot of kids benefit from legal intervention associated with the juvenile court system. More often than not, the parents aren't even involved in raising their children. They are themselves committing crimes and setting horrible examples that the kids emulate. When these kids go to school, they're taught that the wrongs they see committed at home by those that are supposed to be raising them, aren't really "wrong" at all. The behaviors are normalized and blame for negative consequences is projected to society. With these kinds of messages and growing numbers of minors acting out with the new "norms", the justice system becomes overwhelmed. It is/was the last chance for many of these minors to get real help, but that's not what "progressives" want. They want "transformation" and we're seeing the results only too vividly. Frown

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords: The problem is that children these days aren't being taught the importance of right and wrong. Worse, they're being indoctrinated at home and in the schools that they're entitled short term benefits from whatever actions they take (lawful or not) because they're "VICTIMS of oppression" no matter what. If kids are "learning" this lesson from all sources besides the courts, how can the juvenile justice system change that mental state once a matter falls under their jurisdiction? The judges involved aren't broken, the children are.

There's a narrative that goes, if you're doing something legit and legal, then that's what white people do, therefore, I ain't doing it. Its a warped rubric within black culture that has led entire generations to not only believe they are victims but, to dismiss every practice and behavior that's led to any kind of success, this all kicks-in around middle-school age, when peer pressure of adolescents overwhelms all points of reason. Sadly, even those black kids that come from wealth, and middle-class, zero ghetto/street experience whatsoever, get pressured into 'doing the wrong thing' because they don't want to be seen as 'being white'. Having fun means, bullying, shoplifting, joining a mob, criminal mischief, harassing and robbing....pretty much what was seen in various videos out of Chicago that one weekend. I hate generalizing but, more often than not, simple youthful foolishness, evolves into anti-social and criminal behavior.
quote:
In CA now and so many other states, "activists" are reinforcing this horrible mentality by doing all they can to keep minors from even entering the justice system, where their narrative can be challenged. That's the point of taking cops out of the schools (as resource officers) and "progressive" school board members' insistence that crimes committed on campus be handled by school administrators rather than letting the child be "funneled into the campus to prison pipeline."

Good friend was a cop in Berkeley, CA. They'd get a call about an unruly kid at the high school, usually some combination of assault, theft, dealing/possesion, vandalism, weapons....they pick the kid up, start the investigation, come to find out that this kid has quite the record of priors however none were reported to the police. The teachers and school district was 'protecting' this kid, despite that what he was doing was a litany of not only illegal behaviors but, was preying upon fellow students and intimidating teachers & admins. They allowed this to go on, because they didn't want this kid to get further mired 'in the system'. Find out this is fairly common throughout school districts as they work to 'protect' the predators at the expense of other students safety.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
The shots were knee-caps not the classic defense of two to the chest, one to the head. Those armed young punks should consider themselves very lucky. One way to explain the behavior would be to run a criminal history of the mother and father if that person could be found. The children may have learned their behavior from their parents.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Good friend was a cop in Berkeley, CA. They'd get a call about an unruly kid at the high school, usually some combination of assault, theft, dealing/possesion, vandalism, weapons....they pick the kid up, start the investigation, come to find out that this kid has quite the record of priors however none were reported to the police. The teachers and school district was 'protecting' this kid, despite that what he was doing was a litany of not only illegal behaviors but, was preying upon fellow students and intimidating teachers & admins. They allowed this to go on, because they didn't want this kid to get further mired 'in the system'. Find out this is fairly common throughout school districts as they work to 'protect' the predators at the expense of other students safety.

It goes beyond race. These types of social programs are exactly the reason why Nikolas Cruz (the former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida) wasn't arrested as a minor, subjected to the authority of the juvenile courts, and ultimately obtained the firearms he used to kill 19 students there. As a white child, Cruz received the "benefits" supposedly intended to "help" minorities. Small wonder why kids of all races are molded into anti-social personalities. Mad

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
In Texas, there is a new legislator along with advocacy groups trying to shut down all of the Texas state juvenile prisons where the worst of the worst kids go. They are pushing to keep these kids at the county level and even then to keep them out of county juvenile jails and “rehabilitate” them at home. The same home that had zero parental control and allowed their behavior to begin with.

There are indeed kids in the county juvenile jails that are there for drugs, assault, stealing a car, etc and have a chance at being rehabilitated, but when you have kids with severe mental illness and very violent tendencies, those kids need to go to a state jail to be away from the kids that actually have a chance. These legislators and advocacy groups are the ones screwing things up and just trying to make a name for themselves. I also agree that the parents should be held accountable in certain cases.