SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the worst part of your job?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the worst part of your job? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
We have a hard time keeping qualified people. Now we hired a guy who lied on his resume and is basically as useful as a high school intern. Plus, we can't easily fire him. The work load continues to increase.

I need a beverage.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
Preretirement: handling infant death cases. I handled every one, and was first on the scene of one the day before I turned in all my gear and got my retired creds.

Post retirement: The counter at the LGS I work at is exactly the wrong height for doing paperwork/4473s. It's too low to stand up straight and too high for a chair, which they wouldn't let us have anyway. So after a thrilling day of selling Heritage revolvers and SCYY pistols I've got the throbbing back from hell.
Maybe a barstool?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
10 years as a correctional deputy, 6 now as correctional sergeant… the worst minutes of my life was having to fight a very large and very very ripe naked homeless lady who really wanted to tussle with us.

The smell emanating from that lady were demonic. It was truly horrific.

Second place is having to fight a guy who was also naked, but covered in his own feces. Yes, the lady was worse.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's a toss up between the people, or some of the bosses.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I don't normally have a "worst part", but right now, it's supply chain.

I'm pretty much worn out substituting parts and designing around said "unavailable parts".

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edited to say: Compared to you guys giving death notices, the worst part of my job is petty & easy to deal with!

I'm a R&D machinist/mechanical designer.
As such, get very odd jobs of either fixing poorly made parts or creating a solution to an issue. I love the problem solving aspect.

Worst part of the job....time
My immediate boss asks me for time quotes on the fly. To CYA, I tell him in units of days instead of hours. He watches videos of high speed machining & expects that of every part.
Since it is only me doing every step of the task, he also doesn't understand why my cost isn't competitive with the local machine shop that has modern equipment and various workers at different salary levels doing multiple tasks simultaneously. They are setup to make a profit on every single part.
He loves the results I give him. Often they are amazed that I'm able to do difficult tasks. Many of the tasks other shops either won't do or charge a lot for doing with a long return date.

The other is the f'n time clock. I absolutely hate that thing. Punching in one minute late brings down the wrath of upper mgt. The same people who see others talking for 15 mins to an hour about anything but work during the day while I work non-stop.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TRIO,

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
In my early career it was making death notifications. When you knock on that door and are standing there they know why you are there without having to say a word. It motivated me to implement a robust chaplain program later on.

As a chief, it was dealing with slimy elected officials and a predatory, agenda driven media.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
For the most part, it’s employees, but that’s a problem which tends to be solved by throwing money at it.

Undoing bad management practices is not really a surprise, just a thing.

The supply chain stuff is getting weird - I have customers who refuse to accept anything other than 1 gallon plastic tubs, even though the main maker is out of production and they cost so much, that they’re the same price as a 1.5 gallon paperboard drum…

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sell my time, and time is not scalable.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Dealing with people who call the police over stupid crap...like what other people say on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram etc. Grow up, act like an adult, and if you can't handle it, shut it off and stay off of it. I didn't get into this job to referee your inter-personal social media drama.

I've had to see and handle some really horrible stuff in this job...some of which will stay with me for the rest of my life. But I knew that was going to happen when I got into this line of work, and it's what I signed up to do. What I didn't anticipate was the segment of the population that is made up of healthy, able-bodied adults who can't handle life on their own and rely on government services (both emergency and non-emergency) for everything.

Posts: 8665 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

The worst part of my job are the people below me, and the people above me, and my coworkers, and the "customers". Wink

I work at a large state university so there's all the "stupid" most jobs have, but with a special taint to it. The State Liberal Indoctrination Center and Diploma Factory (all while trying to operate like a small scale model of failed communism) I am "a pilgrim in an unholy land".

Some of you are thinking "why bring politics into this thread?" That's just my point, every single thing here has a social/political slant to it. It's inescapable. The example I often give is a lobby bathroom, one sink, one toilet, locking door. And a sign that say "This bathroom can be used by any gender, regardless of sexual orientation or identity" (or some such thing) Yeah... you know what that's called? A fucking bathroom. The sign should say "Bathroom"

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am hourly production in a steel mill. Nothing fancy and not nearly as hard as some of the things described above, but an honest living for the most part.

I think the hardest part is twofold. First our schedule is weekly rotation for each of 3 8 hour shifts. As a result of this and a lack of planning/scheduling/maintenance efforts etc. I find myself not knowing from week to week what my schedule will be and do not know of my weekend schedule until Thursday's shift, which may and has changed by Friday. So I find my friends and family getting fed up with my alwayd volatile schedule and drifting away because I can never plan anything until the last damn minute.
It also fucks with my already poor sleep leading to a host of other issues.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2750 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Wife and I both retired, we're around each other so much we grate on each other some.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
I work in higher education and I'd say the worst, and fortunately they are not that common, is working with students who have been sexually assaulted. Still, the 2-3 per year is way too many. (These are the reported ones which triggers the Cleary Act emails). The most recent was a student assaulted by another student who they met in one of their classes. Mad

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Being alone.

I was a commodities trade on the floor of the Chicago Board of Trade. They closed the live auction trading floor as computers made trading faster and cheaper.

Now I work on my computer in my home office and hardly ever have any contact with anyone other than my wife until I go to the gym in the evening.

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
I'm a 911 dispatcher. The biggest thing I hate about my job are the idiot callers. Not the uninformed, but the true idiots. The people that call 911 for a stumped toe at 0300, or the ones that want an officer to make their 8 year old get ready for school. THOSE callers.

The thing I love the most about my job are the people. Those truly in need. I love hearing a baby take it's first breath. Or someone following my instructions properly do the Heimlich and get an 8 year old breathing again. Or the family when their father having a heart attack gets a pulse back after proper CPR.

Those moments are why I do this job. Few and far between, for sure, but when they come it's worth all the bullshit I've put up with over the years.

Only 7 more years to go until I retire.

God Bless you, and your fellow Dispatchers, your Fire & Rescue colleagues, EMT & Paramedics, and the local and state LEOs you guide to the scenes, and the LIVES you PERSONALLY save. It's an amazing job you do with rare talent and difficult training to actually get stuff done during impossible situations. I don't know how you do it. But you guys just plain rock.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
When my director won't hold one of his managers accountable for a mistake I found that the manager made.

Don't hold your breath until your Director asks you to fix it. No shit.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Waiting.

Posts: 9169 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not having it anymore. Mandatory retirement at sixty.
I'd still be there if I could.
Uniform has been hanging in my office for years, but they don't call, write...!

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having to put down an animal, especially a young one.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post