SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our town performing Sewer Smoke Testing.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our town performing Sewer Smoke Testing. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
While I have never heard of performing Smoke Testing of a sewer system, I can assume it is to evaluate system integrity.

But, where else can I ask, in all good humor, If I am on the commode when they test our local lines, will they be Blowing Smoke Up My Ass? Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just make sure there is water in all the traps. Otherwise you will get smoke in your house.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Just make sure there is water in all the traps. Otherwise you will get smoke in your house.

Yep. The p-traps on your plumbing provides a water seal that keeps sewer gases - and therefore sewer testing smoke - from entering your house.

Your butt is safe, even when sitting on the commode.

Posts: 32556 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Well, except for the alligators...

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:

Well, except for the alligators...
And snakes. Don't forget the snakes.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have a 3 bathroom home and we never use 2 of the bathrooms. Every few months I fun water in all of those extra tubs and sinks to refill the traps for this reason.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
An old, but reliable, trick for RV storage. There are no P Traps on RV commodes. A shot of Mineral Oil poured on the water in the commode will prevent water evaporation during storage, preventing Black Tank gasses from seeping back into the RV.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I never did care for smoked butts

Posts: 5350 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
While I have never heard of performing Smoke Testing of a sewer system, I can assume it is to evaluate system integrity.

But, where else can I ask, in all good humor, If I am on the commode when they test our local lines, will they be Blowing Smoke Up My Ass? Smile

Are you aware that blowing smoke up one's ass was an approved medical treatment in 18th century England?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Yep. The p-traps on your plumbing provides a water seal that keeps sewer gases - and therefore sewer testing smoke - from entering your house.

It's possible the floor drains need water poured in them and slop sink if it has been used in a very long time.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20843 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I never did care for smoked butts

Well you do have to smoke them for quite a while and get the temps up to 210,

Posts: 23584 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I can assume it is to evaluate system integrity.

The truth is out there ...

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may be illegal to run roof gutter water into city sewers. They smoke the sewer and drive around looking for smoke coming out of house gutters. The Town where I used to live did this before.

Posts: 12738 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Well, let’s hope it goes better for you, than what happened in Louisville 40 years ago this past February. Thirteen miles of sewers blew-up caused by vapors from a release of hexane from the nearby Ralston-Purina soybean oil plant. Eek

https://historycollection.com/...louisville-kentucky/

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2707 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Let me tell you the tale of getting new hard wood floors put down. Guys reinstalled the toilet wrong. They were doing smoke tests the next day in construction across the street.

Wife called me frantic that the house was on fire! Fire department was called etc. All to find out the flooring guys botched the toilet re-install.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
This, many older homes tied their gutters into the sewer system.

quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
It may be illegal to run roof gutter water into city sewers. They smoke the sewer and drive around looking for smoke coming out of house gutters. The Town where I used to live did this before.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
As soon as I find out when they are testing our "line", I'm heading to Taco Bell. Blow that smoke right back at 'em.

BIDEN SUCKS.

posted Hide Post
It is mainly to detect water infusion from sources that don't need treatment like sump pumps and rain gutters.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
In far-away memories I recall municipalities can use smoke tests to find cracked sewer mains.

This county has recently removed curb traps from the code. Now curb traps are not allowed. I *think* that may be IPC:2018? but at this point, I rarely pay attention. Philly still uses curb traps.

Philly is Combined Sewer, this county is not. Sump pump no good in the sewer, as it would be "unmetered discharge".

Wells are illegal in Philly. I recall a customer with a converted commercial property (brewery) turned art fabrication studio. Under a small house in the compound was a 12' diameter lined pit. 60' deep? The water rose and fell with the tides of the Delaware River. Quite eerie. He filled it with rubble. Me, I would have pumped the water into hydronic heat pumps and let the (unmetered) discharge go into the sewer. Wow, what a great free source of energy.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
It is mainly to detect water infusion from sources that don't need treatment like sump pumps and rain gutters.

Actually (at least in TN) it is to find old cracked and torn up pipes that need to be replaced. A lot of our treatment plants get double the normal flow during heavy rain events. This overwhelms the plant in some cases causing them to discharge sewage that has only had a shot of chlorine added (instead of being fully treated). Even if the plant isn't overflowing, the dilution of sewage with rain water/ground water makes it more difficult for the bacteria to do their work. They need a concentrated source of food to work best...
Some plants that have dilute influent will add dog food to the mix in order to get enough nutrients in there for the bugs to work well.

I've seen the gutter smoke pics, but apparently that wasn't done much in this part of the country...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post