SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I ate a 22yr old MRE tonight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I ate a 22yr old MRE tonight Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
I'll preface this by saying I've never served in the military and I've never eaten a MRE. My dad who served 1970-1972 had an old C-Rat that we observed over the years slowly bulge until being tossed in the late 90s.

I bought 4 MREs and a TOTM from a local online estate auction for $10 for entertainment value with the kids. The outer bags all looked good, they all smelled like old people house, I have no idea how they were stored. I could see in the TOTM that the M&M package was torn and was advertising the Global Search for a new color campaign from late 2001. The date codes on the boxes I saw in that bag and the one I ultimately opened tonight were all mid-2001. The MRE I ate likely predated 9/11...

I laid out my options for the kids (5, 9, and 11) and my wife to chose my fate: Pasta with Vegetables, Chicken with Cavatelli, Beef with Mushrooms, and Chili and Macaroni. Pasta with Vegetables was chosen. I tried the peanuts first and they were excellent. The peanut butter was good, nice and creamy. The pears were dark brown and I only had one small piece and it didn't taste good. The crackers were stale and not good, I only had a small bite. I kept the flameless heater for future activities and tried a bite of the pasta with vegetables at room temperature and it tasted fine, I nuked it in the microwave for a minute and it tasted perfectly fine. I ended up eating half of it. The Charms were getting liquified so I didn't try those. The apple cider and the lemon tea both ended up being the same color and tasted fine, I had mixed each in warm water. The gum tasted fine. I didn't try the toilet paper or matches but I assume they work as intended. The Tabasco was still liquid and tasted fine but I don't use Tabasco so I don't know if it tasted any different.

I didn't eat the entire contents as I didn't want to be plugged up for the month and I had just eaten some Costco pizza. I will report any ill effects, but this gives me alot of confidence in these things.

There is a guy on Youtube who tries out the world's MREs and gives an enthusiastic description of them as he eats them.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
22 years ain’t nothing anymore, that meal was made after Y2K lol.

I do believe though your family picked the worst choice.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6340 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

I do believe though your family picked the worst choice.

We kinda all agreed to try the least desirable sounding one for the experiment. Wife chose to try none of it, there needed to be a Designated Survivor. The kids had some of the peanuts and drink.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
There is a guy on youtube that makes videos of himself opening and sometimes eating old rations from different countries. I think the oldest one he tried was a canned British ration from the Boer war. Its actually pretty interesting and gross at the same time.

Posts: 3575 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Found it

1899 Ration

Posts: 3575 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Let's get this out onto a tray. Nice!

Posts: 17209 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Please be sure to check in with us tomorrow, if you're still here.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
Found it

1899 Ration

Yes, this guy. I was watching some of his videos with the kids. Dude must have intestines of stainless steel.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I was working at the camp not to long ago, got a little hungry. All I had to check was a plastic bin of sorts, including survival rations another relative left.

This was commercial, not MREs, kinda similar though. They even came with a heating element.

The date said good to 2008, I figured they were fair game. It was some kind of beef stew, I’m still here, ate it all, with trimmings.

After eating it I thought I’ll restock at some point, haven’t gotten that far yet.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
The crackers were stale and not good,

They're like that when they're fresh. Big Grin

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You haven’t truly lived until you’ve had the MRE “Four Fingers of Death” hot dog meal or the really yummy ham omelet meal from the late-1980’s to early 1990’s era! Before the flameless heaters arrived in the mid-90’s so you had to eat them cold which only made the experience all the better Big Grin

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't try the toilet paper or matches but I assume they work as intended.

You’ll need both today.

Along with a #10 can of prunes in juice (since you ate the peanut butter).

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31481 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
When I was in the Marines in the mid 60's we were still using up C-Rations from WW II. Everything was still good, but the 4-packs of Lucky Strikes & Camels that were included were kind of stale. Didn't stop us from smoking them though.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12 hours later and I'm still alive today.

...and I just pooped.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
12 hours later and I'm still alive today.

...and I just pooped.

While I've always believed MRE's were packed full of fiber to regulate bowel movements in the field, the food we received at bootcamp had us all believing the opposite was true of bootcamp food. That stuff had us going to the bathroom like clockwork. 30 minutes after chow we all had to go.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6340 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
MREs are pretty good actually. I genuinely like the chili mac.

quote:
The crackers were stale and not good, I only had a small bite.

The crackers started out that way the day they were packaged, so it sound like they maintained their quality quite well!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a couple of unopened brown-packaged MREs (late 1980s-early 1990s). I recently noticed that the packaging has become brittle and breaking / cracking. These have been kept inside for over 20 years. I ate the M&Ms, cookies / cakes, crackers, and peanut butter form some others that were open. Fed the Chicken-a-la-king to the cat, which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Posts: 492 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You haven’t truly lived until you’ve had the MRE “Four Fingers of Death” hot dog meal or the really yummy ham omelet meal from the late-1980’s to early 1990’s era! Before the flameless heaters arrived in the mid-90’s so you had to eat them cold which only made the experience all the better Big Grin

I liked the ham omelet, throw some Tabasco on it and enjoy. The only one I wouldn't eat was the chicken loaf, not fit for a dog

Posts: 5348 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Haha, this meal was probably my first experience with MREs. I was a kid in Boy Scouts at the time, and one of our leaders had gotten a couple of cases that we split during a "survival campout." I thought the hot dogs sounded like a wonderful option and grabbed those as soon as I saw them.

I don't have many regrets in life, but I regretted that choice as I choked those down while everyone else ate other stuff that ranged from just ok to surprisingly decent for what it was. I did get some beef stew later that was actually pretty good, but I won't ever forget those hot dogs.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Don't soldiers think the Charms are bad luck?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post