SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I ate a 22yr old MRE tonight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I ate a 22yr old MRE tonight Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Don't soldiers think the Charms are bad luck?

Don't EVER open f**king Charms in the HUMVEE. EVER!!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good choice to not eat the crackers and all peanut butter. You’d be “bound up” for DAYS!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Never had the chance to try a MRE meal... But from the late 1960"s thru the late 1970"s had many chances for many "C-Ration" meals .. Maybe not the tastest but did not go hungry.... In the field would open the case box upside down and tell the troops what they grabbed was what the got unless someone else was willing to trade with them....Or if being out for extended amount of time would give each person a sealed case of "C-Rations" that would be theirs to eat at their leisure.... But once gone there was no more... Still to this day carry on my personal key fob a "P-38" issued can opener that I acquired in August 1968 and it still works just as good as a new one. ............ drill sgt.

Posts: 2022 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

I would have expected a post like this from Doc Steve. Big Grin

Posts: 5749 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I had MREs in ROTC for the Army. The running joke was you could use the dehydrated pork or beef patties for extra armor, or if you wanted to guarantee not having to take a dump for the whole training weekend.

Best regards,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were here by the pallet after Katrina. Grateful to have anything. Some folks still have a shed full. Horrible for diabetics because they ran up the blood sugar.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
"Nathans MRE" on youtube, I watched his channel a lot. Earlier this year he announced he would stop making MRE videos, but the channel is still up and enjoyable.

Posts: 11862 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
The Charms were getting liquified

I'll bet that's the first time those five words were used in that exact sequence....ewwwww

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep at least eight handy in the house, just in case. I will say this; the troops today seem to get a lot more support and effort in the field ration department. Last I checked, there are now two dozen meal selections, to include vegetarian.

Back when they first came out, there may have been six choices (to include "Four Fingers of Death" dehydrated pork and beef patties, spaghetti with meat sauce, chicken ala king, etc.) Tabasco sauce was a must in the field, some meals now have a small bottle in the accessory packet. Back in Spring I had an awful episode of asthma/bronchitis hit me. No appetite really but found that grabbing an MRE and slicing it open with a Ka-bar was therapeutic in its own way.

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Early 80's Army MRE(first Gen) victim, man they were bad. Yes they would stop you up bad. I remember the freeze dried Strawberry brick, used to add water,sugar, and cream to it and that was considered a treat.

Anytime we were in the field with German and Dutch soldiers, I would grab a case and go trading. German rations were not bad, lots of cannned meat. The Dutch had olive drab shoeboxes that looked like someone had gone to the local grocery store and filled them up with store bought items. Cheese, soups, chocolates,etc... Really enjoyed those.

Posts: 3575 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27992 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:

Anytime we were in the field with German and Dutch soldiers, I would grab a case and go trading. German rations were not bad, lots of cannned meat. The Dutch had olive drab shoeboxes that looked like someone had gone to the local grocery store and filled them up with store bought items. Cheese, soups, chocolates,etc... Really enjoyed those.

While stationed there in the early-mid 90’s I had a chance to sample the Bundeswehr German Army “Einmannpackung” if I recall the name correctly which translates into “One Man Pack” and was different from our MRE which was meant IIRC to be one meal where the German one was meant to be an entire day’s rations. They were also more like our old C-ration with canned items. I do recall them being quite good with the things like the chocolate and crackers being a better quality and flavor.

I never got to try one but I heard that the French and Italian MRE equivalents had juice box or Capri sun type packages of wine in them which wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Means you'll be constipated for the next 22 years.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11781 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like a 16 y.o. bottle of Pinot might have been appropriate
Wink

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found this interesting.

And now, France and Norway..

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why would you give an Italian a pizza slice MRE when there are more American type entrées that would be more appropriate like pulled pork or something?

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^TBH, the Italian soldier said it was like toast.
About 15 years ago I had a Canadian ration; it was much better than a US one.