SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got a speeding ticket. Now which is best option?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a speeding ticket. Now which is best option? Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I got nailed today right where the speed limit sign changes and although I’m miffed, it is what it is and I got the ticket. Question is, since I’m in IL, I can go to traffic school and get court supervision and then it’s not on the record. I could just pay the ticket instead and admit guilt. This I have read can take away “points” on your license. Didn’t know about the point system.

I have a clean record of course, but this would go on it if I just pay the fine and don’t go to school I believe. Have to call my insurance, but I’d be surprised if one ticket made my rates increase.

What would you guys do/recommend just outing curiosity?

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my wife got nabbed here in VA last year

speeding while passing someone,

she did court/driverschool/etc route,

told me if it happened again, she would just pay the damn ticket and move on, (her exact words)
since the Drivers ed class sucked,

she has a spotless record

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Do you anticipate ever being employed where driving a company vehicle might be involved?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
You have another option - go to court and fight the ticket. I did this once (in Virginia), in a situation like yours where the cop set up right after a speed limit reduction, 35 to 25 (not a school zone).

The judge didn't seem to think too highly of this sort of "speed trap," and found me not guilty. It probably didn't hurt that there were three others in the courtroom that day caught by the same cop at the same location, and that one of the defendants had pictures of the speed limit sign that showed it partially obscured by a tree limb. It was also on a curve with somewhat limited sight distance, and there was other signage adjacent to the speed limit sign.

If there are any extenuating circumstances at all, you might get lucky with the judge.

Posts: 6494 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
If you are getting safe driver discounts you will probably lose them. Worth checking. I went to traffic school once for turning left on red at a deserted stop light, deserted except for the cop sitting behind me. Eek

I was driving a box truck hauling produce at 5 am and had made the illegal turn dozens of times in the past so I was due. Traffic school was one 3 hour class and cost was about the same as the fine would have been but nothing went against my driving record.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i ran a red lite a while back & went to the school, saved the points

it was a great refresher course run by a retired lapd accident investigator.

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does Illinois have the option like Missouri does where you pay a lawyer $150 and it becomes a parking ticket?

Posts: 3929 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would you guys do/recommend just outing curiosity?

^^^^^^^^^^
As a former resident of the Land of Lincoln, go to school. It can be rather fun with the jokers who attend. Just be sure the school is not in Lawndale.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What will traffic school and a day off work cost you? Probably more than the ticket. If you weren't given the ticket mistakenly or unjustly, pay up and move on. If you don't get any more within X amount of time, the points against your license won't add up and will eventually go away.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Depends on principle and how much your time is worth for sitting in court room while waiting your turn to see the judge and sitting thru those boring driver improvement classes......... Once stopped for left turn at red traffic light. told the officer to get the chief on scene because he was wrong and told them to meet me in the court room. They both walked out the court room doing the walk of shame after I showed the judge a copy of the law that the turn was legal since there was no oncoming traffic while turning on to a one way street.... gotcha.................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2015 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
i got popped turning right on red at a "no right turn on red" intersection. (Honestly did not see the sign.)

I went to pay the fine and the clerk said "Really? You should see the prosecutor about this." So I "went to court." Here, at least, for an infraction at this level you don't go right to court, per se, but have a pre-trial meeting with the prosecutor. She saw I had an otherwise clean record and reduced it to a more expensive, but non-moving-violation offense. Done.

(I've since noticed the cops [multiple] seem to like to hang out in the business parking lot the other side of the street from that turn. Coincidence, I imagine.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 849 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Indiana I always get a diversion and never plead guilty. If you have clean record most jurisdictions will allow you to pay a diversion fee and after 6 or 12 months with no additional infractions the ticket goes away with no points.

If you plead guilty and pay the fine, now you have points on your record. And once you have a conviction and some points, the next ticket cannot be diverted. Also, police are more likely to give you a warning if you have no points.

If there is a problem with getting a diversion, I give it to my lawyer and he takes care of it. Either knock down the speed to be eligible for a diversion, make a special deal if there is an existing diversion, or sometimes just get it dismissed.

I got a ticket once in Illinois on a trip and did the online driving school to avoid the points. No big deal.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Does Illinois have the option like Missouri does where you pay a lawyer $150 and it becomes a parking ticket?

Or illegal parking, possibly a bad muffler. I’ll take the lawyer fee over the insurance bill every time.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
^^^ Agreed. Last speeding ticket I got, I paid a lawyer fifty bucks & it was dismissed. He told me the frequency at which you get ticketed would likely affect the outcome. I've had one about every fifteen years or so.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was there any warning of the speed decrease? Is the sign in the proper location and height? Was it obstructed in any way to not give you enough time to slow down? There are regulations on the placement and height in most municipalities.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
DONT call you insurance company.

They can’t raise your rate until they are notified. If you call, they will be notified. If you pay it or are convicted they can only find out when they run your record...it may be a year or more. During that time the clock runs out on the conviction...the insurance company can only ding you for the three years from the conviction.

Go to court, tell the DA you will pay the fine for a loud noise or bad muffler or anything other than a moving violation...then your insurance rate won’t go up.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a skam here in WNY. Go to court, plead not guilty, go to talk with the cop. Next thing, go to the judge. He charges you just as much, but no record, and the town keeps the money, instead of the state. I like it because it keeps my insurance low.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Don't notify your insurance carrier. Some insurance companies only run MVRs when they first insure you and contrary to popular belief, they don't automatically get notified of moving violations.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salty Dawg:
Don't notify your insurance carrier. Some insurance companies only run MVRs when they first insure you and contrary to popular belief, they don't automatically get notified of moving violations.

Ah shit.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post