SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got a speeding ticket. Now which is best option?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a speeding ticket. Now which is best option? Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Some good info guys thanks. Didn’t know about the diversion. Heck I wonder if I could even get out of it. Funny thing going north the road says 35mph, but within no greater than 20 yards heading south on same road the sign says 25mph. He gave me a ticket for 46 in a 25. I told him it was a 35 and I was going 42. Still speeding but good grief.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I got zapped by one of the last 4 remaining speed cameras in the Phoenix area, in El Mirage, returning home from Cabela's on a Sunday. It was a good picture of both me and my plate. I chose "driving school" over the points. In AZ, you can do the driving school thing online, from the comfort of home. Funny thing, though, the cost of the driving school was almost exactly the same as the fine, if you went that route.

I wasn't really in a hurry to get anywhere, just didn't notice my speed. And I'm really not in a hurry any more anyway, so now I use my cruise control for anything over a mile at a constant speed.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NOTE. Not an attorney, but you may want to talk with one.

You want to get court supervision. This is where you pay a fine and maybe traffic school but then after the supervision period no conviction is shown on your record.

Your issue is the favor that the officer did by writing you up for 21 over the speed limit. Depends on the county, prosecutor and judge if they would take supervision for that. This is where the attorney can help

If you just plead guilty and pay fine will show up on record for any auto insurance quote.

Sorry.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a traffic ticket.... Pay it and move on.

My time is much more valuable than sitting down in a court house with the unwashed masses and trying to hope someone actually benefits me instead of the miscreants that are pumping out welfare kids left and right.

Bottom line.... you were speeding, it was posted. By definition you broke the law and the fine is valid.

Pay it and move on.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
He gave me a ticket for 46 in a 25. I told him it was a 35 and I was going 42. Still speeding but good grief.

Well you just admitted to speeding, so fighting it might not be your best option. Get the lawyer and see if they can bump it down if you do the traffic school.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I would definitely find out the laws and how it affects insurance. In Massachusetts a ticket adds points to your record. It results in automatic insurance increase. Last I knew this amounted to about $100 per year and it stays on your points for 6 years. So one ticket is $600 plus the fine. We don’t have any driving school options and fighting is a losing battle.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12442 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I get it fixed with a lawyer every time. Extra couple hundred and you don’t have to worry about anything.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I'm in Illinois. The last time I got a moving violation, I was able to do driving school online. In these days of coronahysteria, I would assume online is the only way of doing driving school.

It's been a few years, but I was not aware Illinois even had a points system like other states do. Has that changed?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6418 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I figure due to the different postings of speed limits it could at least get dropped down to under 20 over if it even matters for severity coding.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Traffic lawyer, every time. NEVER just plead guilty and pay the ticket. The traffic lawyers who specialize in this stuff know the local court system and judges, how to navigate the system and work it. If they don't get you off all together they'll get it plead down to something less and push off the court date as far as possible. I got a speeding ticket in Brooklyn years ago. The traffic lawyer delayed the court date for 4 years, the officer who wrote the ticket never showed up and my case was dismissed, not guilty.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
My advice is to check off not guiLty and go to court. If the cop doesn’t show you can request dismissal which is almost always granted. If the cop is there, ask him about pleading guilty to something that doesn’t affect license or insurance. It may even be offered straight off. Nobody wants a trial, especially the judge and it gives everyone a win.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have to call my insurance …

No you don't. Only for a claim. Let them find out for themselves. They have people (or computer programs) paid to do it. It is unlikely that the traffic court would report it to them, but it is inconceivable that they wouldn't run a check when your policy comes up for renewal. And I seriously doubt one ticket is going to raise your rate.

If they find out, they find out, but at least you won't have given trouble an engraved invitation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Washington State has some fine print on the back of the ticket. My neighbor noted that you can request “full disclosure” of the records.
He made a request and sent a registered letter. It was timed to meet the requirements of the law. When he reached the court the state hadn’t responded. He then told the judge he’d made the request, then showed the documentation. His case was then dismissed.
I was told that the state generally doesn’t bother to send anything.
Given, our city had a motorcycle officer that was notorious for his tickets. Guy I know did the “full disclosure” routine and the state sent it.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Pretty simple. Do whatever you have to do to avoid points on your license. Take the class or hire an attorney.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12645 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
It is unlikely that the traffic court would report it to them, but it is inconceivable that they wouldn't run a check when your policy comes up for renewal.

Some carriers don't pull MVRs on their insureds at every renewal. One of the largest insurance companies in the country will go years at a time without checking MVRs on their preferred tier policies.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you write a courteous letter to the DA, they will often send you a form that you fill out and if you explain that you have a clean record they will often reduce the charge to a lesser or no point infraction. No need of a lawyer unless they refuse.

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know each state is different but I would contact the traffic court or DA which handles the traffic cases and see about a reduction. A lot of the time you are able to pre-pay and not have to attend court.

If it was me I would take the day off, hit court and then enjoy the rest of the day by going fishing, shooting, hiking etc..

I hated writing tickets but when I did they were usually for something substantial.

Even then If the person was polite and cordial I tried everything I could to give them a break.

The summons in VA had a small section that could be checked to require a person to appear in person at the court house. I always tried to make it that it was optional for the person to come to court.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Some good info guys thanks. Didn’t know about the diversion. Heck I wonder if I could even get out of it. Funny thing going north the road says 35mph, but within no greater than 20 yards heading south on same road the sign says 25mph. He gave me a ticket for 46 in a 25. I told him it was a 35 and I was going 42. Still speeding but good grief.

Go to Court.
You can go yourself, or hire an attorney to go for you. If you opt to go for yourself, and you are not satisfied with the offered result, you can ask for a continuance to give you time to hire an attorney and they will give you a new court date.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I got stopped for speeding (spoiler alert, I was speeding). I am always polite to LEO and the ticket would have resulted in points but no suspension. I went to the magistrate and challenged the ticket. I was prepared. PA uses VASCAR and I was all ready to show that human error could have resulted in a mistake. Did the math, had a file and everything.

I came to the hearing directly from work so sport coat, button down shirt and khakis. In magistrates waiting room I thought I might have an advantage, my fellow "convicts" were in wife beaters, shorts and flip flops. Went into chambers. The magistrates first question: "Mr SWPA, you are hear to remove the points, aren't you?" Since that was exactly the reason I said "yes" (and closed my file). The magistrate turned to the LEO and asked, "Officer, any problems with this case?" LEO said no. I had to pay the fine and costs (in PA you have to do that to challenge) but no points and no impact to insurance, those were my goals.

I am convinced that being polite to the LEO and showing respect for the magistrate by wearing appropriate attire along with knowing when to keep quiet went a long way in my favor. I live in PA, your state may vary.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 720 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post