SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insane overreach: EU proposes mandatory USB-C charging for small electronics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insane overreach: EU proposes mandatory USB-C charging for small electronics Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Since almost all chargers are now USB and all you need is the right cable to connect your phone, the objective has been reached.

The problem before was every phone had a proprietary charger with a hardwired plug and you had to get a different one for every phone, and spare chargers were usually rather expensive. Any time you changed phones, you had to get all new chargers and spares.

Apple already has USB-C chargers with USB-C-to-Lightning cables. As long as they give you the cable with the phone, and you can plug it into any charger you want, that should be enough.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It’s really not so much about chargers anyway. It’s about your car and other integrated devices. It would be nice to have every phone connect to every car’s infotainment interface, but I certainly don’t want the government to mandate it. Fifteen years from now my phone will be way different, but today’s cars might still be on the road.

How has the world, without the need of any government mandates, managed to standardize on the Schrader valve for everything from semi trucks to golf carts? Somehow the world doesn’t fall apart simply because those high-end bicycle riders prefer Presta valves, but I can count on the ability to fill my tires at any gas station. No mandates necessary.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
<snip>
Today, the ONLY reasons Apple still uses Lightning are because Lightning is exclusive to Apple and Apple loves exclusivity and because Apple gets a cut of every Lightning cable sold anywhere on Earth.
<snip>

I don’t think that’s “the ONLY reasons Apple still uses Lightning”. With little effort I’ve thought of two others:
* The Lightning connector is thinner and narrower than the USB-C connector.
* The USB-C connector isn’t hard to insert, but the Lightning connector is even easier, thanks to its rounded corners.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do have to appreciate Apple's incoherence though.

Several years ago MacBooks all went USB only, except a 3.5mm phone jack for headphones. But on the iPhones, they got rid of the phone jack and now have Lightning headphones. Yet there is still no lightning port on any MacBooks to connect the headphones you get with the iPhone. And there is no 3.5mm to lightning adapter. There is a lightning to 3.5mm adapter but...

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I would welcome uniformity in all the cords I use for phone, camera, led lights. I can quickly recall I have 5 different type cords to run, charge, patch to PC.

I think you may be kind of missing the point Razz

Also, brings this to mind:

I think you missed my point.
I have 5 different frigging dam cords to keep track of!

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:

I think you missed my point.
I have 5 different frigging dam cords to keep track of!

Nah, you're still missing the overall point.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
My understanding is that the lightning is also more watertight than usb-C
I personally like it better for the simple fact that it doesn’t matter which way you plug it in. That’s especially handy in poor lighting.

I think it’s much more important to get a common plug for electric cars.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:

My understanding is that the lightning is also more watertight than usb-C
I personally like it better for the simple fact that it doesn’t matter which way you plug it in.
Lightning? USB-C? Both?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It figures. I finally get enough lightning cords so that I don’t have to look for one, and now they’re obsolete...

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
It figures. I finally get enough lightning cords so that I don’t have to look for one, and now they’re obsolete...

You're OK, don't worry. This is a proposal for the EU, it's not passed, just proposed. Good news if you don't live in EU you're safe, also if passed it will be two years before it's implemented.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will slightly be the outlier.

I hate government overreach. This is govt overreach in my opinion. We are talking phones and tablets not exactly the realm of governmental control to me. However, to take this one step sideways I think if we truly are going down the road of hybrid and full electric cars then it would be wise as a nation to pick one standard car charging plug. That is a national infrastructure issue. If eventually we have charging stations like we have gas stations it would be fairly imperative to have a national standard. We accept national standards for many things. Phones cords not so much. Wall outlets yes. Car charging on a national scale? Yes.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
<snip>
Today, the ONLY reasons Apple still uses Lightning are because Lightning is exclusive to Apple and Apple loves exclusivity and because Apple gets a cut of every Lightning cable sold anywhere on Earth.
<snip>

I don’t think that’s “the ONLY reasons Apple still uses Lightning”. With little effort I’ve thought of two others:
* The Lightning connector is thinner and narrower than the USB-C connector.
* The USB-C connector isn’t hard to insert, but the Lightning connector is even easier, thanks to its rounded corners.

I liked the Lightning connector too, until I looked at a bunch under a microscope. typically the 4th pin (near the center) is burnt / charred. My boss showed me this under a microscope several years ago, and we looked at a bunch of them. I can't say that USB-C won't have that issue, but Lightning certainly does. I've seen it with my own eyes.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I will slightly be the outlier.

I hate government overreach. This is govt overreach in my opinion. We are talking phones and tablets not exactly the realm of governmental control to me. However, to take this one step sideways I think if we truly are going down the road of hybrid and full electric cars then it would be wise as a nation to pick one standard car charging plug. That is a national infrastructure issue. If eventually we have charging stations like we have gas stations it would be fairly imperative to have a national standard. We accept national standards for many things. Phones cords not so much. Wall outlets yes. Car charging on a national scale? Yes.

It's been nice that railroad tracks are always** 4 feet, 8.5 inches apart Smile

**I realize there are exceptions like in Skagway Alaska, but my point remains.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post