SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Visiting Charleston SC — did it! Update page 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting Charleston SC — did it! Update page 3 Login/Join 
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted
My wife and I will be spending 5 days in Charleston next month and I want to make sure we get in as much as possible.

Attractions, restaurants, must-sees, etc. Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: G-Man,

Posts: 4460 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
What are your interests?

Patriots Point is a must if you’re into military history or just like seeing (and touring and touching) ships and aircraft up close.

Mrs.BurtonRW and I will take an early morning walk from Waterfront Park down to the battery and then straight up into downtown for shopping, dining, etc.

The Angel Oak is amazing to see in person.

You have your choice of plantations to visit.

There’s more...

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16321 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Magnolia Plantation is awesome. My favorite place of all Botnay Bay Boneyard Beach. Warning there are two close by places called Boneyard Beach. There are no guides, directions, or signs, but it's a must. Check tide times, if low tide coincides with sunrise you are in for the view of a lifetime. Note this beach is not accessible at all at high tide, must visit at low tide. When you go, there will be no one except for a handful of photographers.

I could list off more places, but those were two of my favorite.

Acme Lowcountry Kitchen on Isle of Palms is delicious.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21179 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
If you’re into ghost tours, Bulldog Tours has the best. They even do one in the Old City Jail, which was just as historically informative as it was creepy.

Highly recommended if you enjoy that kind of thing.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16321 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
I would agree to several of the above suggestions.

The carriage tours of downtown are always good, in my opinion...helps you get an overall view of the city and hear some of the history. If able, walk a lot of the city...beautiful architecture, churches, etc.

Walk around through White Point Garden (usually referred to as The Battery by many) on the tip of the peninsula, and also walk around Waterfront Park along the Cooper River side of Charleston.

If you like performing arts, check to see if there is anything going on at the Charleston Music Hall while you’re there...it’s beautiful.

I definitely second going over to Patriot’s Point in Mt Pleasant (just over the Cooper River Bridge) to tour the USS Yorktown. And the Angel Oak on neighboring Johns Island is incredible and difficult to appreciate until you see it.

One of my favorite things to do is to tour Fort Sumter, where the first shots of the Civil War were fired...they take you over on a boat, and you can disembark and take a walking tour with a guide, as well as on your own.

And there are countless, fantastic restaurants and breweries everywhere...seafood, seafood, and more seafood. One of my favorite restaurants is Jestine’s Kitchen on Meeting St...my goodness.

Posts: 746 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Angel Oak on neighboring Johns Island is incredible and difficult to appreciate until you see it.

I've showed people pictures and their response was "cool, a big tree, wow." Roll Eyes A picture does not capture it well, it's a big ass tree.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21179 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Magnolia Plantation is awesome. My favorite place of all Botnay Bay Boneyard Beach. Warning there are two close by places called Boneyard Beach. There are no guides, directions, or signs, but it's a must. Check tide times, if low tide coincides with sunrise you are in for the view of a lifetime. Note this beach is not accessible at all at high tide, must visit at low tide. When you go, there will be no one except for a handful of photographers.

I could list off more places, but those were two of my favorite.

Acme Lowcountry Kitchen on Isle of Palms is delicious.

Acme Low Country Kitchen is amazing. Also if you need lunch or dinner while near to Patriot's Point, Coleman Public House has some really amazing burgers.

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
We vacationed in Charleston last year and have taken numerous day trips down from Myrtle Beach. I agree with what others have said and would also add:

1. The Hunley Submarine Museum.
2. Harbor tour and the night time ghost harbor Tour.
3. The Charleston Fire Museum.
4. The Charleston Museum.
5. Provost Dungeon Museum.

Not sure if you are a big This Old House fan, but they did two houses down in Charleston I believe last season or season before last. We actually spent an hour or so tracking those houses down. Although we could only see the outsides, it was neat to see them in person.

Chris

Posts: 1701 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Restaurants- Must go to Hall's Chophouse. It is rated #6 in the country on TripAdvisor and worth every single Penny. The food, the atmosphere, the service are all a 10. Make reservations way ahead of time if you can.

Hanks Seafood is also excellent for seafood in Charleston.

Posts: 21418 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions above, to which we add three very important words that should be uttered together while in Charleston: shrimp and grits. This is a local dish that is not to be missed.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Lovely town, Charleston. I was going to suggest you have the shrimp and grits at Dixie Supply, which is a hole in the wall but has great food, but they are now closed for good. This is a shame. The 8 bucks I paid for shrimp and grits at this place was far better than the umm more expensive shrimp and grits I had at Poogan's Porch. Damn shame.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Is the Savannah still docked at Patriots Point? I toured those ships many years ago, but was particularly interested in the Savannah, the one and only nuclear powered merchant ship. I worked with a guy who was an engineer on it back in the day.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39324 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
USS Yorktown was a great attraction to see - can spend nearly a half a day there.

Battery was also good to tour.

Did not get time to go out to the Fort but would have liked to tour that.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3796 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
We were there last summer. Enjoyed Magnolia Plantation, the Harbor Cruise, and a Carriage Ride. We stayed out near Folly Beach and loved it.

Todd

This message has been edited. Last edited by: phxtoad,

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 426 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The best thing to do in Charleston is eat. Magnolias, High Cotton, Husk, The Ordinary, Michael's on the Alley, etc.

Yorktown, Sumter, and the Battery are all nice to tour. The city is just great to walk around in. Shop, eat, see beautiful things. Get out on a boat for awhile.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10607 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
And, Smithey Ironware is there if you are into cast iron cookware. ;-)

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3796 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I went to a Bourbon and Bacon Festival a couple months back at the Convention Center. It was a really good time and some awesome food and drink.

There is the Charleston Rum Festival going on in June. If it's anything like the B&B Festival, you'll have a good time.

https://www.citypapertickets.c...leston-rum-fest-2019

Posts: 11208 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
The SC Aquarium is at Charleston Harbor.

If you like baseball, an evening Charleston Riverdogs game may be fun. Single-A ball.

You can check out the only tea plantation in the North America.

Posts: 2695 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay away, we’re full Wink

Downtown is fun to wonder, I never get tired of the old homes, structures and what not. Always find something new to look at wondering around. Patriots Point as mentioned can easily turn in to a full day.

Restaurants, yeah there’s plenty of them, a lot of the good ones have been mentioned, and anything resembling high end you’re best to call for reservations now.

I can walk to the Coleman Public House in 5 minutes, burgers aren’t that great. A few minutes further and I’m at Shem Creek. Some good bar food places there, Table & Tavern is the nicest place. By far the atmosphere/environment make Shem a cool place. A quick drive from that area is a place called Grace & Grit - hands down delicious food, everything. For burgers, I really like Poe’s on Sullivan’s.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Lovely town, Charleston. I was going to suggest you have the shrimp and grits at Dixie Supply, which is a hole in the wall but has great food, but they are now closed for good. This is a shame. The 8 bucks I paid for shrimp and grits at this place was far better than the umm more expensive shrimp and grits I had at Poogan's Porch. Damn shame.

poogan's is delicious, but expensive,

Jestine's is good, excellent cocacola cake

there was a place not far from Patriots Point called the Wreck of the Richard and Charlene that is delicious

food at Hyman's was ok, but it is a tourist trap

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10606 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post