SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cost of opioid treatment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of opioid treatment Login/Join 
posted
. That would be a significant hit to their bottom lines when you consider this: The average cost to treat overdose patients admitted to hospital intensive care units climbed from $58,517 in 2009 to $92,408 in 2015—a 58 percent hike, according to a 2017 study that analyzed 162 hospitals in 44

The above is the “from modern healthcare”

The question is, since in most cases I have here the insurance may pay for it but at least half the cost is passed on to the hospital.

So what should we do about it? Keep on paying for it?

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The raw number of people actually admitted to ICU from opioid overdose has to be absolutely minuscule.

I’ve been a first responder of some variety for 18 years, most of it as a paramedic. I can’t even think of one OD I treated that ended up in ICU.

They were either dead or reverse with narcan. I understand how it could happen, just has to be rare.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I’ve been a first responder of some variety for 18 years, most of it as a paramedic. I can’t even think of one OD I treated that ended up in ICU.

You’re right but they have to use big numbers to create a crisis. War on drugs and stuff like that.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Tleddy, do you have a link to the source of your info?

Posts: 1627 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

You’re right but they have to use big numbers to create a crisis. War on drugs and stuff like that.

Yep.

I wonder what the numbers would look like if they were trying to wage a war on sugar...I bet they’d be a bit more convincing. Like whatever the opioid annual ICU cost is...except per hour. But that just makes sense.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have seen it but it is not commonplace. Figure up the cost of suboxone,methadone, and residential opoid treatment and then you have some impressive figures. There are a fair number of suicide attempts using Tylenol with codeine which result in ICU due to liver complications. That is a mental health issue.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
What I get from the article
1. Hospitals have been depending on Obamacare to cover costs. I follows that they don’t have a lot of incentive to cut costs.
2. People are no longer being forced to buy Obamacare. For hospitals the money flow is going to dry up.
3. The ICU numbers and 58% hike are “Gee Whiz” numbers to shock people.

“So far, statewide hospital executives say the Affordable Care Act has largely insulated them from the cost of treating patients who overdose.”

“But now that Congress has repealed the part of the ACA requiring that individuals have health insurance or pay a fine, hospitals could be in for some sticker shock if their patients drop coverage, then wind up in the ER needing to be resuscitated from an overdose.”

The “hospital intensive care units climbed from $58,517 in 2009 to $92,408 in 2015—a 58 percent hike,“

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simple solution. Stop issuing narcan. The problem solves itself.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post