SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I want to learn to speak Spanish, any advice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to learn to speak Spanish, any advice? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
C
K?

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
What’s the easiest way for a dumbass to learn Spanish?

Move to central Florida.

A shot not taken is a shot missed

Posts: 411 | Registered: April 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Several people have mentioned Duolingo as a learning app with varying degrees of success. I’ve been using it for over nine years, initially on the computer and later on the app. By being active on their app in whatever form and by having long streaks, I’ve gained some perks that make it more effective (no hearts limitation, extra streak freezes that I’ve never used).

The Spanish course has grown and improved tremendously since I started, with new coursework added regularly, semi-humorous to outright silly stories have been added to help with reading, and listening and speaking exercises have been added to help with conversation. It’s been pretty effective with helping me learn to read Spanish (I’d give it a B), somewhat effective on writing (C), but the speech and conversation side is definitely lacking (D+/D). “Habla lentamente, por favor” (speak slowly, please) becomes as useful as “Mucho gusto” (translated nice to meet you).

In summary, Duolingo can help but immersion and conversation must be practiced with a fluent Spanish speaker for one to be really conversant in the language.

Good luck!

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I tried Duolingo. Didn't care for it. I've found Memrise much more effective.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with a CD set I used to play in the car. Wasn't as easy around town driving, but on road trips I made very good progress.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
C
K?

Couldn't resist. Wink

I agree, immersion is the best way. A lot of my coworkers speak Spanish, and I've slowly been picking it up by osmosis.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Todo 'stá bien chevrolet!!

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a course(s) on line that gets you to repeat phrases with them. Buy some 3x5 index cards, pick out out a few verbs you will constantly use, write the verb on one side, and conjugate it on the other.
Or go work on a golf course maintenance crew and you'll pick up quite a bit too.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall.
I used to take the subway.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
You got the first step right: wanting is much betterthan needing.
Did the other way around learning english mostly by myself.

Immersion is the best way but the practical alternative is also the natural way. LISTEN and grab what you can. Never worry and make all the mistakes and then some more. LOOK BEYOND the learning process. You want to communicate so the important thing is to get the message across regardless of imperfections.
Bunch of different types of spanish but we understand each other, no problem. Same with English and who’s complaining?

Watch a lot of TV in spanish, subtitled first in english, then in spanish so you grab some written words and associate them with their sounds.
Speaking comes last (as with children). If you manage to listen and understand parts of a conversation in spanish you are on the right path.

More later, am on a taxi.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't immerse yourself in Puerto Rico. What I learn and what I hear are 2 very different things. Even the locals laugh about how fast and bad their Spanish is.

I started with the Pimsleur CD sets with decent success. I bought the lifetime Rosetta Stone that has Caribbean Spanish and while it's nice to see the words and they use the mic to gauge my pronunciation, I don't feel like I'm retaining as much as the CDs. YMMV

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

The subway's undoubtedly a great place to learn Spanish.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thing that helps: if you cook, watch Spanish language cooking videos. Since you already follow what they are doing it helps put the words to it.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t know, I’ve been working on my Spanish for years. I was foreman of a race horse breeding and training farm for a couple of years and worked with a lot of Spanish speakers. That kindled my interest, because I came to understand quite a lot, even if I couldn’t form a coherent sentence. I went to the University of Arizona later and picked up some more, then after graduation, became a USFS Range conservationist and did my best to communicate with Spanish speaking sheep herders (mostly Peruvians). I’ll bet I have about 10 books, some specific to farm/ranch Spanish.

I took two semesters of CC Spanish, and wanted to keep going, but the college only had two semesters at that time. I’ve been using Duolingo for more than 3 years now. I watch some Spanish television and documentaries and subscribe to a couple Spanish language pages.

With all that, am I fluent? Far from it. I find verb tenses difficult. That said, I think, like playing guitar, it’s good for me to keep at it. I can read basic Spanish pretty well, and can get the jist of more advanced writing. I can communicate in phrases and present tense sentences pretty well, and can do things like order pizzas on the phone in Mexico pretty easily.

I always thought it was a beautiful language and I’ll keep plugging away ‘til it’s time to leave. Just grab onto something and go. Buena suerte

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

The subway's undoubtedly a great place to learn Spanish.
Si. "Por favor, no me golpes."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
MEANS TO AN END and not the end by itself.
If you aim to learn ANY subject you like and are slightly familiar with in english, learning about it in spanish will make it easier. You won’t be completely list, your previous knowledge will help and make your learning more swift and less of an obstacle.
Pick any of your hobbies and follow tutorials or comments on YT for example.
Acquiring vocabulary is the key.
Doesn’t matter much if you learn how to read but don’t know pronunciation. It will come in due time. Learn as many words as possible. Context makes a difference.

Take it easy and you’ll be proud of yourself.

Find a good use of your new skill or it will rub off.

Since my mid teens i started reading in English and pretty much stopped reading in other languages (mine included).
Way before the internet, i started with Comics, magazines, pocket books…..
TV movies with subtitles in your language and later in the original language so you can match spoken and written words.
Many people like me turned to computer manuals in English when the PC became popular. Learned techie lingo in a foreign language moved by curiosity and interest. Find your way.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I had a year of Spanish in high school which did little to help me actually communicate in the language.

Later, when I went to work for INS, I did the "Spanish Immersion" module at the academy and learned basic phrases/vocabulary/rules of construction, got a little more comfortable with conversational Spanish, but still wasn't especially confident. A tip from dad (three languages courtesy of the U.S. Army) was to convince classmates to go Spanish Only outside of class. Create our own "immersion."

Hilarity ensued but it actually helped. It is the only way to develop conversational skills quickly, IMHO.

Follow Spanish-language TV shows. Be ready to pause and repeat. News broadcasters surprisingly seem to speak at a more measured pace and enunciate more clearly. Try to follow/repeat the colloquial phrases.

Best advice I ever heard-- sadly not an option, based on my wife's objection-- was to get a native-fluent girlfriend.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post