SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I want to learn to speak Spanish, any advice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to learn to speak Spanish, any advice? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
What’s the easiest way for a dumbass to learn Spanish?

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Immersion.

Pick up some of the basics with Duolingo, but find a way to spend time around Spanish speakers and practice. Volunteer, etc but immerse yourself.

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Para Espanol, oprima dos...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Marque ocho!!

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that Spanish is not the same everywhere you might go. People from different regions in Central and South America speak the same language with considerable differences that can make communications difficult. European Spanish is different than Latin American Spanish in form and usage. The high Spanish of the Castilian era can be difficult for native Spanish speakers of today, but remains in somewhat common usage in many of the former colonial regions.

Becoming functionally fluent in Latin American Spanish would probably not serve you very well if you plan on travelling in Spain. Here in southern Colorado, and neighboring New Mexico, there have been Spanish speaking people for about 400 years or so, and Spanish remains the primary language in many families; but so much of what passes now is idiomatically incorrect and supplemented by a great deal of slang and changes in common usage. There is also a local or regional dialect that is recognized by those who study languages and usage.

Total immersion in a Spanish-language community would be the ideal learning environment. Even that would require a few months to develop a sufficient vocabulary and the ability to communicate easily without constantly stopping to translate, consider verb tenses, adjective usage, sentence structures, and become truly proficient.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
As a native Latin American speaker, who has lived and studied in Spain, much of what LoboGun says is on point, except for the differences in language. As long as you don’t learn a very harsh (I.e. Puerto Rican) variant of Spanish, you will easily be able communicate across every country. The difference in Spanish across countries is nowhere near as stark as the difference between American English and Scottish English, for example.

Colombian Spanish tends to be a fairly neutral tone, by the way. Just avoid learning too much slang, as that does vary from country to country.

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Marque ocho!!

Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Get taught the basic grammar, vocabulary and sentence structure. While doing that immerse yourself in it. That means hang with Spanish speakers and only speak Spanish. Do it for an hour at first. Then two. Then all day then all weekend. Study Spanish even when you are not in immersion. Your vocabulary, verb conjugation, gender designation, accent, tenses and pronouns are best learned by reading Spanish books aloud. It will be slow at first but one day your mind will stop translating English to Spanish. It will just think in Spanish. That's when the fun begins

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you don’t live somewhere that total immersion is possible, it really helps to hear people speaking the language on the radio or in movies. Fire up your favorite movie, change the audio to the Spanish dubs, and leave the English subtitles on. You’ll start to pick it up. This is, of course, in addition to a learning program.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Move to a border town.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Depends on your purpose. A local night course will get you up to speed on basic grammar, conjugation, sentence structure etc. Listening to Spanish radio, and television shows will train the ear. I was ecstatic when I could tell when they were saying the time of day. You may understand more than be able to speak, simple words will lead to common phrases just like a child learns. When you only hear Spanish it comes quicker.

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duolingo is helpful but, doesn't bridge the gap for conversations or complete sentence forming. Immersion as others have said is the best way, volunteering is good, go do your shopping at a Mexican market, their butcher counters have a lot more cut variety than a standard super market, order a meal or, lunch at a taco truck or, taqueria, practice your basic Spanish there. The biggest hurdle is yourself, getting over the initial embarrassment and persevere, immigrants to the US go through this daily; once they see you're trying to learn, people will be helpful.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We lived in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico for about a year. We also took a 101 class at the local college. We learned very little in the process. Most of the natives spoke English. We were in our late 60's which didn't help.

We know colors, days of the week, time, count to 1,000, basic greetings and we were just fine.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I lived in New Mexico for nine years.

While not fluent in speaking I could understand the gist of the conversation.

As time went by it became a little easier as I picked up some phrases and could actually put together some cohesive sentences.

But alas, I’ve forgotten a lot since moving back to Michigan in ‘88.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Join Border Patrol……

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
As long as you don’t learn a very harsh (I.e. Puerto Rican) variant of Spanish...Just avoid learning too much slang, as that does vary from country to country.

Oh, azafata, hablo jive

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
The same way you get to Carnegie Hall. There is no other way around it and there is no get rich quick method.

Don't learn from Cubans.

¡Suerte!

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Though I had classes in high school and college ... Duolingo was helpful, but too many game style ads and stuff. So I dropped out of that.

Since I had a good grip on the basics, I immerse myself by watching Spanish television/movies, and listening to Spanish radio stations. Now I want to get Spanish magazines and Reader Digest to read.

I've been doing the Duolingo for about 4 months. You can avoid the ads by going to their web based version on the computer which also allows you to avoid the whole "Hearts" limitation. On the app you get 5 Hearts per day. Each error you lose a heart. You can work to earn more in a day but it can be a PITA. That is with the free version on the app. The paid version of the app doesn't have that limitation so I'm told.
I think a really good option would be Duolingo and like Old Dino suggested.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Marianny Dey's Youtube channel <3 <3 <3

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post