SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking recommendation: Windows 10 DVD / CD copy to hard disk file
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking recommendation: Windows 10 DVD / CD copy to hard disk file Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
Just got me a windows 10 2 in 1 laptop.

I think it already has a virtual CD / DVD player right?

I'd like to copy physical DVDs and CDs to virtual files that I can store on my hard drive to play on the windows 10 virtual player. IFree would be nice but I don't mind paying as long as it's around $50 or less.

If I need to go over $50 for a no muss no fuss windows 10 cloner, then I can go to $75.

Thanks in advance.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19695 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's probably not going to be 1 do-all program. A little more detail on WHAT you want to do & I can suggest Free/Cheap software.
IMGBURN for non-encrypted (pretty much all CDs, some non-movie DVDs). Free. Then there's a million music rippers that can make .mp3s or .flac from music CDs - more useful IMO than .iso.

For encrypted (movie DVDs), it get's a little more involved. There are a few $$ that will make an exact image of a encrypted DVD. There are also free ways of making a movie into a file that your PC can play. CloneDVD & AnyDVD are what i've used in the past to make .iso images of DVD movies ($$). I use MakeMKV now to rip movies to a file on my HDD to play over network. Free for DVDs, 50$ for license for bluRay

Managing a bunch of ISOs is a pain in the ass. I have 12+ TB of Movies/Music/TV shows - none are iso. IF you rip them to a container format, there programs that can auto download meta-info (Name, movie poster, CD cover, etc) and manage a database for you. MUCH better use factor.
Again, tell me what you want to do & there's a way to do it.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
Again, tell me what you want to do & there's a way to do it.

Thanks for responding.

Here are the things that I want to do:

1) I have DVDs of Seinfeld and Monk and a few movies. Instead of lugging a physical DVD drive and the disks, I would like to make an electronic copy of those disks, save it to my hard drive, and use a virtual dvd player to play those movies on my laptop.

2) Music CDs. I originally had the idea same as item 1 above for them which I still do. Your post makes me think I can maybe convert the songs into a format that I can save in my laptop and iphone and play?

3) I have rosetta stone language dvds. I would also like to use them as in item 1.

If there's another program I will need that will help manage those titles, then I would be interested also.

I see what I'm doing with my current dvds is more of an interim program to carry over these "legacy" media into a newer format.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19695 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22936 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Just to close the loop on this thread, I did buy the WinX DVD Ripper program that smschulz posted the video on. They're running a $40 special that gets you the ripper and 2 other programs they sell.

I bought that because a freeware burnaware couldn't clone a music cd but it could copy a program cd. (I know - these aren't related to each other but that's how I think.) It looked like the freeware could make an iso image of a DVD but it look like it was going to take a long time doing so. WinXDVD Ripper Platinum looks like it will do the same dvd in just 10 minutes.

I also found out that windows 10 comes with a music cd ripper already and does a pretty good job organizing it.

Windows 10 also comes with a virtual cd/dvd drive that is activated by clicking on any iso file.

Thank you all.