SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KC-130 crashes in Mississippi, prayers to the families of those lost
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KC-130 crashes in Mississippi, prayers to the families of those lost Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
When I saw that they think it is structural failure, I think of this incident:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
It was a KC-130T from NY, not an AC-130 (who don't carry passengers).

Pax movement like this is a normal CONUS mission, with the bladder out.

Sounds like catastrophic structural failure; I'm struggling to guess what else could cause it to fall from cruise altitude.

Very sad.

Till Valhalla warriors.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

It was a KC-130T from NY, not an AC-130 (who don't carry passengers)....

Sounds like USMCR out of Stewart Field (formerly AFB) in Newburgh. NYANG has C-5s there.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the cause, this is a whole lotta suck.

RIP.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Turns out there were 7 members of MARSOC on that plane as well. They do not have their own air; so they hitch a ride whenever/wherever they can.

http://www.military.com/daily-...led-kc130-crash.html

A tragic Marine KC-130 Hercules crash in Mississippi on Monday afternoon claimed the lives of seven elite troops from Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, officials confirmed Tuesday.

The aircraft, a transport plane assigned to Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron (VMGR) 452, a New York-based Reserve unit, went down in LeFlore County, Miss., around 4 p.m. All 16 troops aboard, including 15 Marines and a Navy corpsman, were killed in the service's deadliest aviation accident in years.

Six of the Marines and the corpsman belonged to 2nd Marine Raider Battalion out of Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, MARSOC spokesman Maj. Nicholas Mannweiler told Military.com. The MARSOC troops had been en route to Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Arizona, for a pre-deployment training exercise ahead of a future deployment to the Middle East, Mannweiler said.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh, that's the second aviation mishap that has struck MARSOC. They had guys on that -60 crash in horrible weather near Hurlbert a year or so ago.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Ugh, that's the second aviation mishap that has struck MARSOC. They had guys on that -60 crash in horrible weather near Hurlbert a year or so ago.

From what I am hearing, these guys are from the same unit as the Hurlbert crash.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The commanding officer of 2nd Raider Battalion was best man at my wedding and a very good friend.
Breathed a big sigh of relief after hearing from him after reading the Marines were MARSOC from his Battalion.

Chatted with him this morning.
He said the outpouring of support has been humbling.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I've heard the plane landed upside down, in a field of beans. Witnesses said you couldn't even see the plane, that's how hard it hit. One witness said he thought it was a stunt plane doing aerobatics.

I spoke with a former USMC pilot about this, he said something catastrophic would have had to happen. Especially at 20,000 feet. No distress call or anything.

Semper Fi, Marines and Corpsman.

RIP.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
One of my Patrol Sergeants recently retired as the Sergeant Major of VMGR-452. He's devastated over this.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm flying with my kids to MS on a C-130 tomorrow :/ I'll be so not nervous now!!!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marine Corps Releases Identities of 16 Servicemen Killed in KC-130T Crash

https://news.usni.org/2017/07/...led-in-kc-130t-crash

RIP warriors. May the families receive all the strength and comfort.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I read that there were two crash sites, one half a mile north of a road, the other half a mile south. That's not a good sign.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Commanding Officer of 2nd Raider Battalion, Sec. of Navy & assistant Comandant of the Corps flew to Dover to observe transfer of the remains to Mortuary Affairs yesterday.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Investigation blames Air Force and Navy for systemic failures in fatal Marine Corps C-130 crash that killed 16

Article with video:

https://www.militarytimes.com/...rash-that-killed-16/

Accident report:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/stati...anky-72-redacted.pdf

====================================================

USMC just lost another C-130 and F-18 over Japan:

https://www.marinecorpstimes.c...8-fighter-jet-crash/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regardless of who they blame, that C-130 crash in MS is horrific.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The findings are just depressing...Those poor guys

In the CG there is ONE place that all aircraft go to each year to be torn down to the rivets and inspected, its in Elizabeth City and the unit replaces everything that is out of spec....or the air-frame is retired...

the CG has a lot of C-130's and the air-frames are very old, but no one would give a "go" on a prop inspection that was de-laminating or has cracks...

I can't imagine someone allowing a plane to leave it's facility with an unsat prop.....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine was the AC of a P3 that had a very similar accident. Loss of one blade knocks out a second engine. Walking prop across underside of fuselage cuts hydraulics and actually "pulls" the E (shutdown) cables for the remaining engines. They ended up ditching in the Indian Ocean within sight of land and near a fishing boat. No hydraulics, no power. Everyone got out alive. It was the most amazing "miracle" flight I have ever personally been aware of. Over land and with this scenario, unsurvivable. Sad.

Also corrosion.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, the C-130 is a symbol of freedom. Maybe because of its long service history all over the world. I love the sound of the turbo props.
RIP / Semper Fi, Marines!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
When I saw that they think it is structural failure, I think of this incident:

I used to fly that airplane, and I flew with all three crew members. I gave one of them his initial checkride when first hired, and provided some of his training. I was in that airplane in Mexico when both wings cracked through, and I did my flight engineer checkride in it, too.

That was an A model; one of those oldest flying.

It seems like yesterday. I remember exactly where I was when I learned about the crash, too...strapping in and loading for a fire dispatch.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post