SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Detroit Bullet Bill passes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Detroit Bullet Bill passes Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
So what's the limit?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
shovelhead, I couldn't agree more. The Wayne County Machine has given us some real dandies over the years. What I find amazing is that the Democrats don't even try to hide the screwing over they give the people, and yet they keep electing them over and over until they die or go to prison. There are still people in Detroit that think Kwame got a raw deal. Unreal!
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Detroit, living there from about 1942 to 1960, when I left to serve 20 years in USAF. I have been back a few times to visit relatives, and it pains me to see how much the city has fallen. When I retired from USAF in 1980 the fall was enough that I was not inclined to return there (also an aversion to shoveling snow), so I ended up in Dallas, Texas, where I have just celebrated my 38th year of arrival.

I no longer have any kinfolk in the city, but do have a Cousin's daughter living in Redford, and several Cousins near Flint (also in decline). I guess I'll probably still make an occasional trip up there to see them, probably as part of a larger trip (or a short visit for a funeral).

There apparently is still some culture in Detroit, however--my Cousin's daughter works at the Dallas Institute of Art and the Detroit Symphony is still well liked. The college I graduated from (Wayne State University) is still going strong, I think (but I'll bet they have enhanced security from what existed in 1960).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
flashguy,

WSU has their own police department, fully accredited. In addition they patrol off campus in the surrounding areas together with DPD. One of their officers was killed in the line of duty off campus:https://www.odmp.org/officer/23039-sergeant-collin-james-rose

sig sailor.

Kwame, the sky was the limit for him at one time, now it's 28 years in the pen. Monica Conyers, three years in the pen for a 11k bribe, she worked cheap.

Before we moved out here we looked at houses in Plymouth and Northville. A lot of things made us change our focus, one of those was how much influence Detroit would have on our taxes when Wayne County opened up their wallet for them and how much further bailouts would cost us being in the county.

Reggie Davis is a Wayne County Commissioner for District 6, part of his district is Detroit. Maybe he needs to connect with his constituents in the neighborhoods like Grand River and Greenfield, down Puritan, on the Northwest side. If he did then he would see the problems are more that just mental health. Substance abuse, housing, abandoned houses and buildings,lack of employment, poor education, street crime, carjackings, only a few things. More than I can remember at present. There is another side to see besides Rosedale Park and Grandmont, those are the good areas.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
shovelhead, this was my home from 1954 through 1960 in Detroit.

Trip2005C 069.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr
It is at 16500 Winthrop, 2 short blocks north of Puritan and 1 block west of Greenfield. (Look at all that sidewalk to shovel!) Just acknowledging that I spent time near the area you mentioned. When I left in 1960 there were a number of climbing Blaze rose bushes on the fence (my gifts to mom on Mothers' Days) and a lovely blue spruce tree in the corner of the sidewalks out front. When my folks moved to Arizona, the people who bought the house had a child with hemophilia and all the vegetation with thorns or sharp needles was removed. The brick 3-car garage in back was added later, also.

The above photo was from 2005, but I just did a check of Google Earth (2018) and it looks just the same.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
flashguy,

Don't look at Street Views of the Grand River and Greenfield shopping area, you will be sick, it looks nothing like it did in the late 60's to early 70's. I almost went to work in the area in 1971, Grand River and Prevost at Glenn Pontiac.

Had a few friends north off Grand River between Greenfield and Hubbell, most all of their houses now are in ruin. My dad worked until '65 on Lyndon and Indiana, that building is still standing and being used, shocked I say.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
shovelhead, we used to go down to that area to buy real British fish & chips to eat at home. That place was gone in 2005. Their F&C were to die for!

posted Hide Post
flashguy,

My favorite was The Red Devil Pizzeria on Fenkell,my first experience with take out pizza. I lived in Farmington Township, a bit of a hike for us. That was the stop on the way home if we went to my dad's workplace on Saturday.
That and the real deli's that were in the area