SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Detroit Bullet Bill passes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Detroit Bullet Bill passes Login/Join 
No ethanol!
posted
In yet another example of the stupid being strong....

Detroit bullet bill

(WJBK) - The Detroit City Council approved a "Bullet Bill" gun control resolution Wednesday with a unanimous vote.

The resolution limits ammunition amounts that can be bought while requiring a mental health background check on buyers of ammo in Wayne County. Commissioner Reggie Reg Davis of the 6th district spearheaded the resolution.

As part of a proposed Wayne County “Bullet Bill” ordinance, additional county taxes would be imposed on the purchase of ammunition with revenue going to assist victims of gun violence and educational programs with a focus on conflict resolution and administrative costs.

First the resolution went to the Detroit City Council standing committee on Public Health and Safety before the full council passed the “Bullet Bill” resolution sponsored by Councilman Rev. Andre Spivey.

"The people of Detroit, Wayne County and the State of Michigan are a step closer to having safer neighborhoods after this courageous signal by Detroit City Council that we are tired of the funerals, trips to the morgue and maddening gun violence. Our next step is on to Lansing and the state legislature,” said Commissioner Davis. “My brother Vito was gunned down and killed on the streets of Detroit.

"Vito and an uncle, also a victim of gun violence, is entombed at Woodlawn Cemetery. We must unload the guns. I do not want any more families to go through what my family and too many families have to endure on the killing fields of Wayne County."

Davis said that he is working on funding and a program targeting his 6th District in northwest Detroit that will serve as a national model for prevention of serious mental illness.

Contact: Wayne County 6th District Commissioner Reggie Reg Davis (313) 544-6312

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I just looked it up and according to gunlawsbystate.com Michigan has a preemption statute:
quote:
“A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.”
Based on the above, I don't think neither the mental health background check nor the ammo tax will survive a court challenge.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Another waste of time. Yellow Pages lists two gun shops in the city. As if this is going to make any impact on the crime in the city. Even if they succeed in getting Wayne County onboard they still have two more surrounding counties, Oakland and Macomb to flip to their way of thinking. And as others have said, what is there stopping a Detroit or Wayne County resident from going to another county and buying it there? Nothing.

Kind of reminds me of the 1970's and Detroit wanting to have a Tri-County mass transit system. Detroit spearheaded a move to set up those counties for additional vehicle registration fees, these fees were for a study on how and what to do for mass transit. Those three counties had additional charges for vehicle titles and license plates. Only one thing the state legislature screwed up on. These fees were to be collected when titles were issued or transferred or license plates were bought in the Tri County area. So if you came from as an example Houghton County in the U.P. and bought a car in Detroit you were assessed for the higher title and license plates as it was titled and plated in the county area.. But if you lived in the Tri-County area you could cross the county line and go to any Secretary of State for title and license plates without the surcharge.

I was selling auto parts and had my drivers go to Flint, Lansing and Livonia daily to pick up parts from factory warehouses. It was no big deal to have them "stop by a S of S office OUTSIDE of here" and pick up my plates.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Another waste of time. Yellow Pages lists two gun shops in the city. As if this is going to make any impact on the crime in the city. Even if they succeed in getting Wayne County onboard they still have two more surrounding counties, Oakland and Macomb to flip to their way of thinking.

That's the plan, don't you see?

This is simply a resolution. I don't believe the City of Detroit can pass such a local law or ordinance. The idea is to use that to bootstrap it up to the Wayne County level, where it can be passed as a country-wide ordinance. Then they'll try to get other counties on board, and, ultimately, the entire state.

It's a stupid idea. All it'll do, if successfully turned into ordinance or law, is make it more difficult and expensive for the people who really shoot most, people practising for self defence and recreational shooters.

In fact: It might could be challenged on basis of it placing an undue burden on CPL holders, who are obliged, by law, to practice a certain amount to renew.

In celebration of this new resolution, I'll be going out and buying more ammo RSN. Just haven't decided what, how much, and from where Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is simply a resolution. I don't believe the City of Detroit can pass such a local law or ordinance. The idea is to use that to bootstrap it up to the Wayne County level, where it can be passed as a country-wide ordinance.

Are Counties not considered local in Michigan?
Anything other than the state governing body is considered local here. Many counties here are the only governing body in that area with no smaller municipalities inside the county, including the 2nd highest populated county in the state.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My dad purchased his 4" barrel, nickel plated, Colt Python from Hudson's department store on Woodward Ave. in 1963. Funny how things change over time.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
This is simply a resolution. I don't believe the City of Detroit can pass such a local law or ordinance. The idea is to use that to bootstrap it up to the Wayne County level, where it can be passed as a country-wide ordinance.

Anything other than the state governing body is considered local here. Many counties here are the only governing body in that area with no smaller municipalities inside the county, including the 2nd highest populated county in the state.

Counties are local units of government under Michigan's preemption statute. This will go nowhere, and if it somehow does the challenge will be swift and is guaranteed to be successful. The people who passed this resolution know this, of course. It's a feel good measure.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why don't they just tax people for shooting other people? 500 bucks ought to do it.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Detroit City Council is the gift that keeps on giving. These folks make the Democrats in congress look very smart. You would not believe some of the things that Detroit City Council has come up with over the years. It is almost always a "you can't make this stuff up" activity, with these clowns.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
That's the plan, don't you see?

Clearly I do. One of the reasons we live out here in a Red County. As a previous resident of Oakland County I got tired of listening to the rhetoric of how all the problems of Detroit and Wayne County all stemmed from white flight and as a resident of the suburbs "I" caused it and that my tax dollars were "owed" to the city to right the wrongs of the past.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sig sailor,

You have to remember where the stars of the Democratic Party get their start in Michigan, the Democratic Machine of Wayne County. They are groomed there.

Ficano,Granholm, Kilpatrick (both Kwame and mommie),John and Monica Conyers,Coleman Young and others.

https://www.detroitnews.com/st...tion-probe/23111859/

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Counties are local units of government under Michigan's preemption statute. This will go nowhere, and if it somehow does the challenge will be swift and is guaranteed to be successful. The people who passed this resolution know this, of course. It's a feel good measure.

It should be illegal to pass laws that are clearly in violation of other laws such as the preemption law. Having to go to a higher court to overturn these laws costs money and time. Detroit should be held responsible for the court and lawyer fees. As well, the individuals should be held accountable. (Similarly, The 9th circuit comes to mind. If a lower court judge is overruled 4 times, or whatever number of times, they should be booted from the bench.)

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Commissioner Reggie Reg Davis

http://www.fox2detroit.com/new...nies-hitting-another

I guess it is pretty easy to see why this dolt wants to limit/eliminate guns in the hands of the public.

Seems like he likes attacking women. Even tho, he denies it happened. What crook does not deny his guilt?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have long said that where it may be difficult to ban firearms in many locations, the backdoor is to ban the ammunition or throttle the availability; it's a very slippery slope because it seems less menacing on the surface.

Legislation like this is potentially more harmful than other efforts because it sounds more acceptable to a wider audience and doesn't carry the same political overtones as "gun control." It's the foot in the door, however, and the nose under the camel's tent.

Anyone who has spent any time in inner city Detroit knows that if there's any place in the United States where one really ought to be carrying a firearm, it's there.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Anyone who has spent any time in inner city Detroit knows that if there's any place in the United States where one really ought to be carrying a firearm, it's there.

Detroit’s Police Chief would agree with you.
https://personalliberty.com/de...ry-for-a-safer-city/
A little dated but still relevant.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article leaves out some critical information or I just missed it. What is the mental health check that is required?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The article leaves out some critical information or I just missed it. What is the mental health check that is required?

With some of the antics over the years from the Detroit City Council maybe they should start there.

e

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
How many lives will this save?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None, instead of indiscriminate gunfire maybe they will work on shot placement.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Seattle has tried this. The tax revenue was put at $500,000 in the first year. When asked how much was actually collected, the city refused to say. After it went to court, the city confessed to around $200,000. Meanwhile, the few gun shops closed or moved out of the city. Don’t recall any claims that the bullet tax reduced shootings.

No doubt Detroit will do a Chicago. They will blame gun violence on guns and ammunition com8ng in from outside the city limits.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post