SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Def Leppard Drummer Rick Allen Attacked Outside Florida Hotel, Teenager Charged
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Def Leppard Drummer Rick Allen Attacked Outside Florida Hotel, Teenager Charged Login/Join 
posted
https://slaynews.com/news/def-...ign=daily-newsletter

The drummer for legendary rock group Def Leppard, Rick Allen, was assaulted Monday night at a Fort Lauderdale hotel.

The famed one-armed drummer was attacked after playing a show in South Florida by a crazed man from Ohio.

59-year-old Allen was standing in the valet area at the Four Seasons Hotel having a smoke when another man ran up and attacked him.

The man also assaulted a woman who tried to help Allen.

The music legend says he wants to prosecute the lunatic.

The Fort Lauderdale Police Department said Max Edward Hartley, 19, of Avon, Ohio was charged with battery, criminal mischief, and abuse of an elderly or disabled adult with great harm.

Media reports claim Hartley is on spring break.

Allen has one arm after being injured in a New Year’s Eve car crash in 1984.

His arm was amputated as a result of the accident.

More at link.

Who is Max Edward Hartley?

https://medicotopics.com/rick-...-max-edward-hartley/

Quick details about the suspect:

Hartley, who participated in football and lacrosse teams at Saint Ignatius High School in Cleveland, looked to be in Florida for spring break when the incident occurred.

Hartley was raised by his parents, an elder and younger brother, and other family members in a $670,000 mansion in Cleveland, Ohio.

He refused to reply when asked if he knew who Allen was as he brought his arms up to shield his face and displayed injuries on his elbows.

After being charged with two counts of violence, four counts of criminal mischief, and abusing an elderly or disabled adult, Hartley was taken into custody and transferred to the Broward County Prison on Tuesday.

Posts: 12761 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Schizophrenic break, or being Florida, maybe Krokodil is making a comeback.

Posts: 2021 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Media reports claim Hartley is on spring break.
Not anymore.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
a $670,000 mansion in Cleveland, Ohio.

THAT'S all it takes to get you a mansion in Cleveland?

Posts: 14714 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
The famed one-armed drummer

And this is what stuck out to me. There can't be many other one armed drummers, can there?

Posts: 2547 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nope. Def Leppard has been well-known for their one-armed drummer since his amputation in the '80s.

Reminds me of an old (bad) joke:

What has 9 arms and sucks?
Def Leppard Big Grin

But with enough practice, one-handed drumming is doable. There's a guy on YouTube ("El Estepario Siberiano") who makes a ton of content showing off his impressive one-handed drumming skills... despite having use of both hands. For example:

Posts: 32572 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Only wish that Hartley got his arse kicked by the Allen and the woman.
I always like Def Leppard. A good metal band that had their own sound and didn't need to follow what 80s metal tried to emulate/copy (looking at you hair metal bands).

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard Kimball is also a "person of interest"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54734 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
18 years old. Good. This spoiled little shit’s life just took a turn he can’t erase. Assaulting a one armed old guy… that’s gonna stick with him forever.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15643 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a saying down here- Arrive on vacation, leave on probation. Hopefully this guy gets more than probation, but Broward County Courts are very Liberal.

Posts: 346 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard Kimball-that's good. I still remember the old series.

Posts: 17158 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Any word on motive yet? I do keep hearing that GenZ is bringing back the music I, a Gen X'er, like because they realize current pop radio is complete trash. But the flip side the attacker is the same gen that is about TikTok follows and likes.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Here is a guy (Rick Allen) who at a height of the fame of his power house rock band lost his arm in a traffic accident. He was 21 years old.

Did he give up on playing or performing? No

Did his band give up on him and replace him? No

He figured out a way working with some experts to still be able to play and perform with his band.

The band supported and waited for him and he's been recording and touring with them since.

Then, 30+ years later and after a performance, this snotwad from a rich family in Ohio on spring break decided to attack the one arm guy smoking outside then attacks woman trying to protect him?

This is a prime person for a prosecutor to make an example for all of the other spring breakers that head down there looking for trouble.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38024 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post