SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got my photo taken by a red light camera even though the light was yellow... Does that automatically mean I get a ticket?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my photo taken by a red light camera even though the light was yellow... Does that automatically mean I get a ticket? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Beginning this September these camera systems are illegal in Texas thanks to our AG and governor Abbot.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I ran a yellow light one time and the cop gave me a warning. He also said that when the light turns yellow, that doesn't mean I speed up to beat the red light. I just said yes sir
!!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14011 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yellow light in Houston means 6 more race through...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Beginning this September these camera systems are illegal in Texas thanks to our AG and governor Abbot.
The damn things are blatantly illegal. How in the hell can the following exist, and the courts let this stand.

Example #1
You run a red light, a cop witnesses it, he pulls you over and writes you a ticket. That ticket costs $125 and results in 3 points being applied to your license.

Example #2
You run a red light, a red light camera catches the offense, and you're mailed a ticket. That ticket costs $158 and results in 0 points against your license.

The exact same infraction handled two completely different ways. No way that can possibly be legal, which is why so many cities operating red light cameras are being sued. Hopefully the plaintiffs in those suit win all of them. These cameras are nothing short of stealth taxation by local municipalities and the state.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
That has happened to me in AZ and no ticket ever arrived.

As a side note, I have ignored several photo tickets (I used to work in an area ripe with cameras) and in all but one case I never heard another word about it and the one I did hear about I was served which i was told was purely random.

According to an attorney friend the system (at least here) is based on numbers and fear and because they have no actual proof you ever received the ticket they cannot do anything which is were the process serving comes in.

If you can dodge the process server for 120 days in AZ, the ticket goes away. They can't always get to everyone in that time, so then you still skate. Scottsdale will send a server to tape the notice to your door and then you are considered served. PV doesn't bother because so many of their tickets just get paid. Otherwise, you either dodge the process server or hope they don't get your case in time.

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:

As a side note, I have ignored several photo tickets (I used to work in an area ripe with cameras) and in all but one case I never heard another word about it and the one I did hear about I was served which i was told was purely random.

According to an attorney friend the system (at least here) is based on numbers and fear and because they have no actual proof you ever received the ticket they cannot do anything which is were the process serving comes in.

If you can dodge the process server for 120 days in AZ, the ticket goes away. They can't always get to everyone in that time, so then you still skate. Scottsdale will send a server to tape the notice to your door and then you are considered served. PV doesn't bother because so many of their tickets just get paid. Otherwise, you either dodge the process server or hope they don't get your case in time.

I think the other reason PV lets them go is there are so many private drives and gated communities that a process server could not get close enough to serve

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:

I think the other reason PV lets them go is there are so many private drives and gated communities that a process server could not get close enough to serve

Never thought of that, but it's totally true. Still, a lot of non-PV residents like myself get popped around Tatum and Lincoln. I've heard they're just so used to getting paid that they don't bother with the process servers.

The one Mrs. Lee got in Scottsdale was total BS. The process server blatantly lied about their three attempts when petitioning the court for "alternate service." One of their attempts listed said, "Both garage doors open, no vehicles present, no answer at door." Let's see. We have two drivers and four vehicles and would never leave the garage doors open. How could all four vehicles be gone and garage doors left open?

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

The only thing I know for certain is that I was already well into the intersection when the light turned red.

Tony.

If the light was red when you were in the intersection then you ran a red light.

It doesn't matter that you entered into the intersection when the light was yellow.
Not the case around here. Consider the left turn yield example (some intersections you are allowed to turn left on a green light for straight, but must yield to oncoming traffic as it also has a green light): totally legal to pull into the intersection, often two cars will be stacked waiting to turn left. If traffic is heavy they don’t get a chance to go until the light turns yellow. If the oncoming folks are not courteous they may not get a chance to go until the light turns red. They could be stuck there having entered at the beginning of the green. How could one consider that running a red light?

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Around her, it's the equivalent of a parking ticket, and can be fought the same way. I have a hard time thinking there's no way to contest it. Now, people may not bother. That's a different issue.

Another way to "contest" it? Get a paint ball gun, and use it on the camera.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Even if they issue a ticket, you can fight it. If the photo shows the light wasn't red, you probably have a good chance of winning.
Maybe where you live, but not around here. Many Florida cities simply send 'all' of their photo tickets out knowing full well and good its too expensive and time consuming for the vast majority of drivers to fight them. Last time I checked, a couple local cities had an almost 100% success rate with drivers simply paying the tickets. This photo crap is such a scam.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Tire and some gasoline....
Throw tire over camera...
Toss some gas on it...
Toss a match...
Walk away like a boss

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Around her, it's the equivalent of a parking ticket, and can be fought the same way. I have a hard time thinking there's no way to contest it. Now, people may not bother. That's a different issue.
No, there is a process whereby you can fight the red light ticket, but here's the rub. Using the City of Apopka, Florida as an example, that city has an almost 100% success rate when it comes to winning on these challenges. When I spoke with their City Manager some time back, he noted it was their goal to do whatever it took to win 'all' of these violations to set a precedent that people simply wouldn't win if they contested the tickets. That approach must be working because the number of contested tickets in that city in December of 2018 had dropped to almost zero.

Again, these stupid cameras are 'not' about public safety, they're about money, plain and simple. The small city I live in installed two of these cameras and managed to rake in almost $600k the first year they were in place.
quote:
Another way to "contest" it? Get a paint ball gun, and use it on the camera.
Cameras have on occasion been rendered inoperable by a large caliber rifle round, and each time, I smiled. Never thought at 55 years old I'd be condoning or applauding the destruction of private property, but I gues I've 'evolved' in my way of thinking. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of the systems anticipate a violation based on a vehicle's speed and take multiple photos. I wouldn't worry until or unless you get a ticket. Of course a lot of them also do speed enforcement...

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

FF to 1:54 if you want to get to the court scene... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I hate the damned things. Round here you’d be fine. A human being has to review the video and approve the ticket based off of they would write it on the scene. It’s not a real high percentage that get issued...

Also in these parts there is no real consequence for ignoring the ticket unless you are in your employers vehicle. All they can do is send you a threatening letter. Can’t even report it to your credit.

The company that installs the camera gets the majority of the funds. It’s a pure money grab.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, everyone. I’ll find out in the next 2 weeks or so.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5402 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've sat at that Chevron station at Hall and Scholls Ferry and seen flash after flash falsely go off with no one in the intersection. Just keep your eye on the mail so you don't miss it if you do get a ticket. I'd just pay it if it was me, but whatever you chose, don't miss the deadline or the fine doubles. I've heard that if you mark the notice not-guilty and get a court date, they will automatically reduce it once you get to court and before you see the judge, but you typically will not win it if you press it and want to go before a judge and you don't agree to the lower priced guilty plea. They have the calibration specs etc etc dialed in and no argument will win the day at that point.

Hold your breath, and good luck.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Cameras have on occasion been rendered inoperable by a large caliber rifle round, and each time, I smiled. Never thought at 55 years old I'd be condoning or applauding the destruction of private property, but I gues I've 'evolved' in my way of thinking. Wink

I've occasionally wondered if they ever happened. Now I know.

Good Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post