SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This day in space - first test flight of M2-F1 lifting body
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This day in space - first test flight of M2-F1 lifting body Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
On Aug. 16, 1963, NASA's M2-F1 aircraft prototype made its first glide flight.

For its first test flight, the M2-F1 was towed 12,000 feet into the air by a C-47 Skytrain and then released. Test pilot Milt Thompson was in the cockpit, and he brought the glider in for a smooth landing in California after a two-minute descent.

https://www.space.com/39251-on-this-day-in-space.html

And as we all know, a later crash during testing let to a $6,000,000 investment in experimental cyborg technology, creating a new breed of Bigfoot fighting secret agent.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That show was by far one of my favorites growing up. Steve Austin, man to a 12 year old kid, that dude was super cool. Big Grin

The 'bionics tooling up' special effect sound was just icing on the cake. Watching him run straight ahead at 60mph on YouTube right this second. LOL.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
That show was by far one of my favorites growing up. Steve Austin, man to a 12 year old kid, that dude was super cool. Big Grin

The 'bionics tooling up' special effect sound was just icing on the cake. Watching him run straight ahead at 60mph on YouTube right this second. LOL.

Agree. I never missed an episode as a kid!

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Still watch it late at night on Cozi and love all of the cheesiness from my youth

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I remember the smoother shape of the HL-10 more from the opening credits.
Actually both types of Northrop test aircraft were pictured in the pilot and opening credits for 6MDM.

Reference to Wikipedia:
In the pilot movie, and an episode of The Six Million Dollar Man series, titled "The Deadly Replay", the HL-10 serial number 804 is identified as the aircraft flown by Col. Steve Austin when he crashed, leading to his transformation into a bionic man, and the HL-10 is also featured in this episode.[3] Other episodes and Martin Caidin's original novel, Cyborg, contradict this, however, by identifying Austin's aircraft as a fictional cousin of the HL-10, the M3-F5.[4] Further confusion is added by the fact that both the HL-10 and the M2-F2 are featured in the opening credits of the television show.

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"So let me get this straight, you wanna drop this bass boat with a pitot tube from an airplane and have me fly it down? Sure!"

Balls of brass, nerves of steel.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post