Is this just an age thing? I know my friends told me the legs go first.
Trying to figure out if it’s that, or something to bring up with the lady working with me in PT/Pilates.
BS-3595-C401. In Theory, this will be the "seal" verifying that I am an attorney, and when I was licensed/the authority was last contacted, and confirmed it to be active.
Posts: 6918 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007
If the birthdate you specified in your profile is correct, I think perhaps you're a bit young to be feeling the effects of aging, but then again, perhaps I'm just forgetting how I felt at that age.
Wait until you get past 60, and then the chickens will be coming home to roost.
Originally posted by parabellum: If the birthdate you specified in your profile is correct, I think perhaps you're a bit young to be feeling the effects of aging, but then again, perhaps I'm just forgetting how I felt at that age.
Wait until you get past 60, and then the chickens will be coming home to roost.
I’m dreading 60 based on what an eye opener 50 has been.
Posts: 14060 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008
I agree with safe strength training into old(er) age as well as stretching to keep joints healthy. And for me, who had a minor heart issue, cardio to raise that heart rate and keep the blood flowing.
I don't recall a mention of COPD and having just leafed through my copy, I don't see anything about it.
As for joint pain, swimming is one of the recommended exercises. Cycling is the primary form of exercise recommended.
From the back cover, I'll quote:
"...And through their NYT bestselling program, you'll discover how to put off 70 percent of the normal problems of aging - weakness, sore joints, bad balance - and eliminate 50 percent of serious illness and injury..."
SIGforum: For all your needs! Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
Hopefully I can keep going with my body weight/dumbbell training. I'm still at 100-150 pull ups per week among other things, but I strained stuff in my arms a few weeks ago and I can't seem to shake it completely.
Originally posted by 6guns: I agree with safe strength training into old(er) age as well as stretching to keep joints healthy. And for me, who had a minor heart issue, cardio to raise that heart rate and keep the blood flowing.
The book's title is Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, Sexy, and Smart — Until You're 80 and Beyond, and one of the authors is Dr. Henry Lodge, who died at 58. Pretty ironic.
Q
Posts: 31440 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008
"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth "Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe "Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas
Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005
Not sure what age I have on my profile, but I’m 42
Spent my youth wrecking my body/having fun. The rehab has been excellent, but she mentioned that I would be reopening a bunch of injuries to get them to heal properly.
I was told to avoid stairs and that I could do “anything” I want as long as I didn’t use heavier than 20# dumbbells.
BS-3595-C401. In Theory, this will be the "seal" verifying that I am an attorney, and when I was licensed/the authority was last contacted, and confirmed it to be active.
Posts: 6918 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007
My knees are doing ok till I have to kneel for longer than a few minutes. I put Pergo floors down and thought I was going to need a wheelchair afterward. A mechanics chair is my best friend at work. My hip keeps popping out now too, which pretty much leaves me flat on my back till I can get it back in. Had to go all weekend a few weeks ago till I could get in and have it put back. Took a few days to walk without a cane after as my lower back muscles were all freaked out.
You do find out who loves ya when you can't wipe your butt.
Originally posted by Aglifter: Spent my youth wrecking my body/having fun. The rehab has been excellent, but she mentioned that I would be reopening a bunch of injuries to get them to heal properly.
Well, the chickens eventually do come home to roost.
I will say, though, that any man who is getting older, who doesn't have reason to say now and then "I wish I would (or wouldn't) have..." or "I should (or shouldn't) have..." has likely lead a less than full life.
Originally posted by Aglifter: Is this just an age thing? I know my friends told me the legs go first.
I'm in my early 60s and my legs are still OK, but then I have been exercising them, working them for years; walking, biking, strength training, P-90x, etc. Been like this my whole life, but I started training when I injured my right knee in the 1990s. I have good days and bad ones, but overall my legs are good so far.
My complaints with older age are my hands and eyesight. More difficult to open tough jar lids now, hand strength has diminished, and my eyesight issues are very frustrating, especially in recent years shooting handguns. Also I have hearing issues as well.
"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
Posts: 19697 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003
Late fifties. Walk a lot. Just had a bout of sciatica that I've just rehabbed out. But when I walk now I often feel like I'm walking in mud. I feel like a walk a lot slower than I used to.
I was going up a flight of stairs one day and my left knee started clicking every step I took. It didn't go away. Orthopedist took x-rays and matter of factley told me my knee was wearing out and would need to be replaced some day. Swell. It clicked like that for two and a half years. Then as suddenly as it started, it stopped. Figured unlikely that it was a good thing. Now less noise, but much more pain.