SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which jazz standard song should I learn?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which jazz standard song should I learn? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
I've been taking a jazz guitar class and it's pretty overwhelming. As most of you guitar players know, it's been mostly about 7th and flatted chords and ripe with arpeggios and scales/modes. Not easy stuff and lots of theory mixed in with it.

I want to try to convert some of this madness into a usable song or several to work on applying what (little) I've learned. Smile

I'd love to hear some suggestions of relatively simple songs using these kinds of themes.

TIA!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39225 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post

Maybe one of these? The first is a moderate tempo, the second more sedate. There's some insane fast stuff like Pat Martino's Lean Years, but that's probably pretty challenging.

Posts: 5784 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
OD, I think our definitions of relatively easy are quite different! Give me a few more years....if ever to play those things. Smile Very nice though!

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39225 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All demystified right here:
https://www.amazon.com/Mickey-...Guitar/dp/0825652804

There are more in the series.

Also, this guy has some very good simple jazz arrangements with instructional videos and tabs available very inexpensively.
http://guitarcollege.com/

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1aOsCm5d_0

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Crom. That looks very helpful with great reviews.

posted Hide Post
Mickey Baker was also the absolute epitome of "cool". Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWmgQcYypcw

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Melancholy Baby

(you have to be pretty old to know the musician's joke)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23193 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23193 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well I just looked up a dozen songs on you tube,
then I looked up a dozen non-jazz guitar songs.

for some reason when you leap in to the "Jazz" spectrum , stuff gets very complex.

so I got nothing, even moderately simple

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55175 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I've been taking a jazz guitar class and it's pretty overwhelming. As most of you guitar players know, it's been mostly about 7th and flatted chords and ripe with arpeggios and scales/modes. Not easy stuff and lots of theory mixed in with it.

I want to try to convert some of this madness into a usable song or several to work on applying what (little) I've learned. Smile

I'd love to hear some suggestions of relatively simple songs using these kinds of themes.

TIA!

Autumn Leaves, a traditional Jazz standard.
Relatively easy to learn.
The tempo leaves plenty of time to set up for chord changes and arpeggios.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the opposite of jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubdeQW-LQM

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55175 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Summertime is all I can think of

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
If you like smooth Jazz, Peter White is someone you may wish to try. Some say he is like George Benson at half speed. You can get as complicated as you like, but here is one with a bit of his easy personality in action.

Here is another musician breaking down a version of the chords:

For a more detailed guitar interpretation, you may find something in this live version:

It would help if you get a cool sax player or a smokey singer if its not in your range. Even if you transpose it, that would be valuable for you in learning other fingerings for the same chords.

You might also like a classic chord book by now deceased Ted Greene titled, "Chord Chemistry." Here it is on Amazon

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
Autumn Leaves, a traditional Jazz standard.
Relatively easy to learn.
The tempo leaves plenty of time to set up for chord changes and arpeggios.

+1

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
" when you say "jazz standards" and "guitar" in the same sentence, only one things immediately comes to mind..."All The Things You are". That is the classic. Just give a listen to Joe Pass playing it.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Well, if you tackle a Joe Pass example right off, you'll probably find something familiar about your guitar.

The ES-175 is much like the Heritage H-575 made in the original Kalamazoo factory when Gibson was there.

Many Gibson custom shop folks stayed when Gibson moved - as you know.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Night and Day ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Have you learned "the lick" yet? Smile

Check out the book "Blues in All Keys" for fun jazzy tunes to get you going.

"Satin Doll" was the first one I learned to help understand secondary dominant.

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, folks! You all think I'm much better than I am. Maybe I can live up to that one day.