SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I remember growing up that all the school busses were manual transmissions and manual actuated door openers.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Riding in the back of friend's pickups like it was nothing.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Leemur said:
quote:
Cruising the “strip” from 8-11pm every Friday and Saturday night.

When I got my driver's license in 1965, that was the Thing to Do.

I came home on leave in 1973 and got my first really "cool" car, a '69 Nova SS and couldn't wait to go cruising.

Nothing. Not a car. No kids. I was seriously bummed.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Paregoric
Nurses uniform was all white dress, hat, stockings and shoes.
45 RPM singles
Having to rent your rotary phone from the phone company.
Brick cellphones

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Cool music videos on MTV (especially hosted by my '80s crush Martha Quinn).

Meticulously compiled and elaborately decorated mixtapes.

Tower Records.

Video arcade.

Video rental store.

Woolworth's.

Malibu Grand Prix / Castle Golf n' Games

Adventures through Inner Space and Captain E.O. at Disneyland.

The Coronet Theater on Geary in San Francisco - the best place to see a Star Wars movie (and Die Hard too!).

San Francisco Gun Exchange (A massive gun store in the middle of downtown SF? How can that be?)

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Drive in movies.

We still have a drive in in SLO.

ETA:

Buying 22lr at The Mill (a long gone local feed store) as a young teenager.

Wind wings. Nothing like cold air blasting in your face to keep you awake on a long drive while the heater fried your feet to keep you from getting cold.

Three on a tree manual transmission. Can’t say I miss this one at all. Never saw one where the linkage wasn’t somewhere between 95 and 110% shot.

Going out to a meal and seeing people at other tables actually interacting with the folks at their table instead of being surgically attached to their phones.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Drive In Theatres

There's one about 5 miles from my house. Been there for at least 50 years. We go about once a summer. Have taken grandkids and their friends. They think it's incredible that you can bring your own popcorn, drinks, lawn chairs, coolers and watch movies outside.

There were 2 drive-ins within walking distance of my house where I grew up. My dad was an LEO in town so I would have to double check his weekend schedule to make sure I didn't end up at the wrong theatre ! Big Grin

Sure do miss those days.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Car and truck windows you had to manually roll up or down.

The headlight dimmer switch on the left side floor.

Wadcutter .38 reloads for $34 per thousand.

Able Team and Phoenix Force.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
San Francisco Gun Exchange (A massive gun store in the middle of downtown SF? How can that be?)

That place was awesome. I used to go in there to look at the wall-to-wall ARs before I was even interested in guns. And 2 blocks from Market Street!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Female pubic hair

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Flushing enzymes for the septic

You mean like Rid-X? Still a monthly ritual.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Watching bull bats and chimney sweeps outside at night , around dusk.

I don't know the correct name for bull bats, but they were large black birds about the size of a seagull, with long thin wings.

Chimney sweeps were swallows, small black birds, that chased insects in the evenings. I seldom see these anymore, been decades since I've seen a bull bat.

No catbirds around anymore.

Nighthawks, and I think you mean “Chimney swift.”

Sorry you don’t get to see, and hear them anymore. They add a lot to my enjoyment of summer.

They were fun to watch while sitting outside in the evening. We always called "Chimney Swifts" , Chimney Sweeps" guess just my families and areas description.

Just sad to me, that so many birds I used to see growiing up aren't around here anymore. I do see the "Chimney Swifts" in a local small town sometimes late in the evenings, I guess there aren't enough open chimneys in my rural area anymore to support them. They caught a heckuva lot of mosquitos and bugs.

Which brings up another thing in my youth your never see anymore.

Sitting outside in the evenings. I live in a really rural area, and growing up, we sat outside in the evenings a lot in the summer. Many times local friends would see our family sitting outside while driving by and stop and talk, maybe share a Coke. After it got dark, is when we went inside to watch tv. And we got up early to work on the farm.

I still love to sit outside in the evenings in the summer, most of the times however, its either just me and my cat or me and one of my dogs.

A fading pastime. I never see people sitting outside just enjoying the evening in the summer anymore.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Nickel cokes and candy bars.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
OK - Here you go....

Milk delivery boxes on the front stoop, with glass half-gal bottles

Honest news reporters

Grit newspaper (I sold and delivered it)

Playing cards clothes-pined to our spokes

Banana seats

Hand operated grass clippers (I hated that chore)

Pioneer SuperTuner car 8-Track players

Facing backwards in the fold up seat in the back of the family station wagon

Saturday morning cartoons

Mr. Greenjeans and Bunny Rabbit

Boots, Chuckas, Dress Shoes, and Shower Flip-Flops in Basic Training.... Not a tennis shoe around

Running around in a plain white t-shirt, playing during the summertime

More later....

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Hot ladies WITHOUT tattoos.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Pee Wee Herman

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Sitting outside in the evenings. I live in a really rural area, and growing up, we sat outside in the evenings a lot in the summer. Many times local friends would see our family sitting outside while driving by and stop and talk, maybe share a Coke. After it got dark, is when we went inside to watch tv. And we got up early to work on the farm.

I have similar memories. I remember laying in the warm grass with my cousins on the farm and looking into the sky for satellites. We saw quite a few. Far more than the shooting stars we saw.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Conventional Mobile phones (before cell phones)
Hi-Fi Stereo
Walkman
TV's with tubes
Tube testers in hardware stores
Montgomery Wards
Water Beds
Bias Ply Tires
Studded snow tires
Swatch
Trapper Keepers
PDA
Police carrying night sticks and saps
Police using revolvers as their primary weapon
Party lines (phone)
Hand written memos
Mechanical & electric type writers
Drafting boards (mechanical drafting machines or T-squares & triangles)
Calculator watches
Large GI Joe action figures, costumes, equipment
Atari Game systems
TI-99 computers
Printer paper with index strips
Northwest Airlines
Carbon Copy paper
Ditto copies in school
Blue print machines
My High School (torn down and replaced)
Pop and candy machines in schools
Bumper jacks in cars
Beep only and voice pagers in common use
Break Dancing
Tail boards on fire apparatus that you could ride
Open jump seats on fire apparatus
Jet-Axe
New Coke
Bicycles with banana seats
Dictaphone machines
Hand written accounting ledgers

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37960 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
curb feelers
$.25 hamburgers
not having to listen to other peoples phone conversations
full fat meat
beef tallow cooked mcdonald's frech fries

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:

Originally posted by kkina:
That place was awesome. I used to go in there to look at the wall-to-wall ARs before I was even interested in guns. And 2 blocks from Market Street!

That was the first place I ever saw pistols and revolvers from the Smith & Wesson Performance Center. I thought those were completely badass.

At least the San Francisco Gun Exchange is immortalized on film, as it's right next door to the liquor store that Dirty Harry drives his car into in 1976's The Enforcer.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Metal toothpaste tubes with winding key.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post