SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where is the Rye bread/
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where is the Rye bread/ Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I can't speak for most of what's been suggested, but I've gotten hooked on Dave's Bread. The thin sliced Good Seed is my go to because of the good ingredients, relatively low cal and fat. Dave's offers a rye although it's a bit harder to find and I haven't tried it but would if I saw it on the shelf. Check them out.
I also enjoy Daves's killer bread, but at $6+ a loaf locally to me, I don't get it often.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I also enjoy Daves's killer bread, but at $6+ a loaf locally to me, I don't get it often.[/QUOTE]

We're paying about $5 to $5.50 which is way up since the Biden inflation debacle. I recall less than $5. Still, worth it to me because it's relatively health, makes a good sandwich (subjective) and a loaf last several weeks. My wife just picked up a loaf of Dave's "WHITE BREAD DONE RIGHT" and although I'm not a big white bread fan, this makes some good toast and grilled cheese.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I order from Dimpflmeier a couple times a year. Very good.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I also enjoy Daves's killer bread....and a loaf last several weeks.

I must be storing it wrong.. I never get it to last more than 5 days, always gets moldy.
Storing in cool dry dark pantry.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
quote:

I also enjoy Daves's killer bread....and a loaf last several weeks.

I must be storing it wrong.. I never get it to last more than 5 days, always gets moldy.
Storing in cool dry dark pantry.

Freezer

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I too really like Dave's Killer Bread.

I just ordered the big pack of the Mestemacher Westphalian Pumpernickel that the OP recommended, should be here tomorrow.

I have purchased other varieties of the Mestemacher breads from Amazon, like them quite well and love the shelf life. Excellent to keep on hand. I'll probably stick a few of the Pumpernickel in the freezer to see how longer term works out.

Growing up and eating basic white bread for years and years, well that just got old, and it's been fun trying other kinds of bread.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used these recipes for different rye breads and like the results.

https://www.thebreadshebakes.c...-pumpernickel-bread/

https://www.thebreadshebakes.c...re-rye-bread-recipe/

Posts: 588 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fresh from the oven

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The only bread that I regularly keep on hand is Mestemacher Westphalian Pumpernickel (Germany). It contains almost nothing except coarsely ground whole grain rye and water. Available on Amazon:

Mestemacher Bread, Westphalian Pumpernickel, 8.8-Ounce Packages (Pack of 11)
https://a.co/d/c1n13JT

Each 8.8oz packet has six slices. Unopened packets keep good at room temperature for months.

Also, my local Whole Foods store sells a Mestemacher rye bread made with mostly rye flour. It’s more bread-like than the pumpernickel.

An egg & Muenster cheese sandwich made with the pumpernickel. I ate the trimmed-off egg crescents separately:

That bread is also really good with tinned herring in mustard sauce.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I bake it myself, but of all the breads, RYE is the most difficult, for me.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mestemacher Westphalian Pumpernickel

Several Mestemacher breads, including the Pumpernickel, are now on the shelf at the local Publix. The breads are in the European foods section.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
Fresh from the oven

I still have not cracked open this book but I just want to point out that I paid $14 ish in '21 for the kindle version on Amazon. It's now showing $3.99 before any credits (kindle) in case anyone has been on the fence.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried this company, very good items. Comes frozen partially baked. https://thebrotbox.com/

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post