SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where is the Rye bread/
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where is the Rye bread/ Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
I read that of all the breads one can eat, White, whole

wheat, etc. that Rye was the most wholesome. Anybody found

some lately? I found that if you read the ingredients they

include "Wheat flower, yeast, etc. and Rye flavoring!

Even H E B. grocery! What happened? Next will they be making

Rye Whiskey out of wheat grain?

Help please.[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO][FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO][FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: George43,

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Good on you for reading labels. That's awesome.

I've come to the realization that the quality of food eaten results in less health issues and better health. Garbage in, garbage out. Costs a little more but worth it. Read the label, see dozens and dozens of weird ingredients that you can't pronounce or know what they are, PASS!

The regular grocers don't carry much, if any, of that sort of thing. Every square foot of retail shelf space is constantly monitored and analyzed for sale and profit margin. Everybody wants their groceries to be cheap.

There are several small independently owned and operated bakeries around here and they all make an excellent product. That's probably your option to source locally. Whole Foods bakery department deserves a look at. You probably live close to a Central Market grocery, I'd check there.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make my own sourdough rye and sourdough Jewish rye.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:

I make my own sourdough rye and sourdough Jewish rye.
Will you share the recipes?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Well that certainly explains why I can get good results making regular wheat bread but rye while certainly edible is nothing like commercial.

I’ll leave out that rye flour portion of the recipe, perhaps substitute wheat flour. Roll Eyes

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local HEB doesn’t even carry the Rye you mentioned. South Texas.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I don't ever recall seeing a rye bread recipe that does not include a high percentage of wheat flour. Apparently, the little yeasties are particular about their diet, and the dough will not rise without it. An all-rye-flour loaf will be (very) dense and (very) chewy, almost inedible. You will probably have to bake your own. I'm sure there are yeasts in the world that will exploit rye flour, maybe even generate the gas that provides leavening, but you're not going to find these yeasts in the grocery store.

Posts: 6464 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nearly every bakery in Chicago has it. I suppose some have mail order, I know some of the delicatessins do. Also have pumpernickel which was a favorite as a kid.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look for an Eastern European Market. Aleksey's Market in Nashville has several Lithuanian rye's & semibaked frozen German rye's & whole wheat breads from Atlanta.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Almost all rye bread has 40% or more wheat flour. As I understand it, rye has no to little gluten - the protein that links together in baked goods, giving it a lot of the texture we want. Without gluten, an all rye loaf is very dense and heavy. The crumb is small. Most of us wouldn't like it as we are so used to wheat breads. Most recipes have a fair amount of wheat flour so it is more like the bread we are used to in texture.

I don't think it is the yeast as much, although maybe different strains can do better with rye. That exceeds my knowledge of baking and yeasts.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had my sourdough starter for about 1.5 years. Makes great biscuits as well as breads.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
[Will you share the recipes?

Sourdough Rye

For my birthday last month, my oldest daughter gave me a grain mill attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer, 5 lbs hard red winter wheat berries and 5 lbs hard white winter wheat berries.

I split the bread flour in half for the recipe below and ground some red winter wheat and used the flour for half of the bread flour.

Sourdough Jewish Rye

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for most of what's been suggested, but I've gotten hooked on Dave's Bread. The thin sliced Good Seed is my go to because of the good ingredients, relatively low cal and fat. Dave's offers a rye although it's a bit harder to find and I haven't tried it but would if I saw it on the shelf. Check them out.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We bought a breadmaker about a year ago. The only use has been making rye bread. Time to make another loaf.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The only bread that I regularly keep on hand is Mestemacher Westphalian Pumpernickel (Germany). It contains almost nothing except coarsely ground whole grain rye and water. Available on Amazon:

Mestemacher Bread, Westphalian Pumpernickel, 8.8-Ounce Packages (Pack of 11)
https://a.co/d/c1n13JT

Each 8.8oz packet has six slices. Unopened packets keep good at room temperature for months.

Also, my local Whole Foods store sells a Mestemacher rye bread made with mostly rye flour. It’s more bread-like than the pumpernickel.

An egg & Muenster cheese sandwich made with the pumpernickel. I ate the trimmed-off egg crescents separately:

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I just made some yesterday with fresh milled rye berries and wheat berries. As jhe posted, rye has little gluten potential so it's needs wheat to become bread we're accostumed to.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I made a loaf of Rye last week and loaf of a Rye/Wheat/sharp Cheddar cheese for this week.
Ever since we bought a bread machine a few years ago I average one loaf of some sort of bread a week.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You can’t make rye bread without wheat flour, it would be a rock.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The only bread that I regularly keep on hand is Mestemacher Westphalian Pumpernickel (Germany). It contains almost nothing except coarsely ground whole grain rye and water.
I had some of this years ago, courtesy of a German coworker. It's nothing like our bread and yes, it's delicious.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read your post yesterday and thought I had seen rye bread in our local Walmart but wasn't certain. I went shopping there later in the day and checked in the bakery department and they had it. This is in a small rural town of 8000 30 miles north of St Louis in Illinois.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post