SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I've got a question concerning car/tractor hauling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've got a question concerning car/tractor hauling Login/Join 
posted
I recently bought a new Kubota tractor. I hauled it home from Marquette Mi. to my home in Grayling, Mi. While talking to the salesman I mentioned that I might be available to deliver things for his company. He left a message for me tonight. I believe I saw that a couple of members here do that kind of work. If you could help me with rates, insurance, etc. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance,

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may be getting involved in a situation that opens up a can of worms. I would check and see if you need a CDL and all the requirements that go along with that.

Also your regular vehicle insurance might be invalid if your vehicle is involved in a business, and the insurance company is unaware of this prior to a claim. Check with your insurance company.

Insurance on the freight you are hauling? You have a wreck and the tractor is destroyed. Who is liable?

Posts: 12657 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Commercial insurance, DOT number, and chances are likely a class A CDL. If you did it full time you'd probably make out OK. No way you'll make any money if doing it on the side as a hobby.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
He may just need a human to drive their gear to deliver stuff. Give him a call and find out. No way would I use my truck for delivery. But if it was driving their stuff I’d be ok with that.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Hauling for personal VS commercial use

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regi...-i-need-usdot-number

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
My CDL is only a Class C. It was a PIA.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've already got a CDL, as well as a DOT number and some insurance protection. I am interested in rates. It seems like there was a conversation involving this in the past but I could not find it. Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
For the last couple of months I have been paying $1 a mile going anywhere, I got away with .64 once, only because it was three vans on the same load. Fuel prices are the culprit

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on the size of the load and the rig you’re operating. For larger items (25000 pounds) I’ve paid $2.50 per mile recently but have heard there is some increase due to fuel costs. Smaller loads will naturally be less. I’m thinking $1-1.50 per mile depending on the load and the rig you’re operating.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Must have been a good deal. Ginop in Hillman is a lot closer than Marquette.

I’d put pencil to paper, figure out your variable costs, factor in depreciation on your truck and trailer, and then add in what your time is worth. As an example, at $3.30 a gallon, towing my empty boat trailer costs $.30 per mile. With the boat, about 9,000lbs with the trailer, it goes up to $.35 per mile. Tires, DEF, and oil changes add another $.05 a mile. A $60,000 truck figuring 200,000 miles adds $.30 a mile to the costs. Then there’s the trailer to figure out.

Marquette is 250 miles from Grayling. Figuring you time at $20 an hour, your looking at $250 just to show up at their door including the bridge toll.

Posts: 10909 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
BTW, I use a site called Central Dispatch, for dealers transporting vehicles. You can sign up on there and find loads or find return loads so you're not going home empty