SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Feeling old and worn out.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeling old and worn out. Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Yes, go get evaluated. Something similar happened to my father. He had slow bleeding inside the skull. He could have died.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
MY nephew's wife's mother had a slip and fall in the bathroom and hit her head. She said she was fine and more embarrassed than anything else and said she didn't want to go get checked out.

A few hours later she had horrible head pain and by that time, the damage was done. Pressure relief surgery didn't help because she was losing function.

Prior to going into a vegetative state she could only communicate with blinks and taps of her finger. Once in a persistent state, the family honored her wishes and took her off life support.

Go get checked out.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
goose5, with the after-effects you describe I think it would be wise for you to seek medical attention. Sooner, rather than later.

There was a guy, think it might've been right here on SF, that knew somebody--possibly a relative, that stepped on a rake, got smacked in the head hard enough to knock him down, and died several days later from, IIRC, subdural hematoma.

It's nothing to fool around with.

I went over backwards in our own driveway, several years ago, so fast my legs literally went up in the air. Luckily, I was at the top of my form at the time. I instinctively crunched, hard, so my shoulders would take the brunt of it. And, luckily, I was wearing a very large-brimmed felt cowboy hat. Even then the fall rang my bell hard enough I learned what it meant to see stars.

Had a brief, very mild headache. (For which I purposely did not take aspirin.) No visual, auditory, speech, balance, disorientation, coordination, drowsiness, etc. issues at all. So I was fairly confident I was ok. Still: I paid very close attention to myself for the next seventy-two hours--and had my wife do the same.

But, boy, did I hurt for a couple days. My abs, pecs, and my upper back hurt like hell from doing that crunch and my upper-back taking most of the hit.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
As it turns out my primary can see me in three weeks. Going over it again in my mind what was going on in my mind I understood. I knew where my car was, and I think the guy was speaking Spanish. We get a lot of that around here, but whoever you were thanks a bunch. My head hasn't hurt since Monday. I'm back at work, but a whole host of other things are starting to hurt. Left side and back in the rib area. No pain when I breathe in deeply so nothing broke just sore. My left hip has started hurting in certain circumstances, and my neck big time, but up the front just to the right of my windpipe. Hurts to just touch. It seems most of my core is a bit tender. I've crashed bikes with less.

Edit to add. I tried the online thing first. Just called and I'm being seen tomorrow morning.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Thank you for heeding the advice here.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shovelhead:
Nope. EMS did everything in their power to transport him. He said he never lost consciousness and signed a treatment refusal form. He told me at the station he did not want to pay any medical bills. What was the oddest thing about it was the crash was pretty minor. He was riding too close to a concrete lane divider in a construction area and snagged the bikes handlebar which dumped him. His leather jacket protected him from road rash, even. He was not helmeted at the time. My best guess is he was sliding in the jacket and it caught suddenly, causing him to bang his head. This was actually the second time something like this happened with something I investigated. The other one was a drunk pedestrian who made it across a 6-lane interstate highway before getting run over on the entrance ramp. This guy was transported, treated for minor injuries and signed himself out of the ER AMA. Died the following day. Before I could pinch him for causing the crash!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Shovelhead:
Nope. EMS did everything in their power to transport him. He said he never lost consciousness and signed a treatment refusal form. He told me at the station he did not want to pay any medical bills. What was the oddest thing about it was the crash was pretty minor. He was riding too close to a concrete lane divider in a construction area and snagged the bikes handlebar which dumped him. His leather jacket protected him from road rash, even. He was not helmeted at the time. My best guess is he was sliding in the jacket and it caught suddenly, causing him to bang his head. This was actually the second time something like this happened with something I investigated. The other one was a drunk pedestrian who made it across a 6-lane interstate highway before getting run over on the entrance ramp. This guy was transported, treated for minor injuries and signed himself out of the ER AMA. Died the following day. Before I could pinch him for causing the crash!

State guidelines backed me where I was at. I was out of my response area, at work. Truck driver delivering new cars slipped off the top may have hit his head on the way down but definitely when he lands on the ground. Had one of my countermen call the local fire rescue, they were across the street.

They arrived, all three of their personnel were basic first aid certified, under state law I could only hand him off to another EMT, a Paramedic or Doctor, nobody with lesser training.
Quick assessment, he’s refusing care or transport from local ambulance to the hospital despite a large bleeding head wound.

Well, as he gets off the ground and getting ready to sign the release from the FD, he starts wobbling, head goes back and he goes down. This time he was caught. Get him on he ground, not breathing. Did the head tilt and getting ready to do the three breaths (circa 1985) and he comes to. At this point I told him that once he loses consciousness witnessed by be even though he comes to he’s no longer able to refuse transport and treatment under state rules. One way or the other he was going to the hospital either willingly or under arrest, his choice at this time.

Only one other time had a similar situation, drugs and alcohol. Down for the count, town Marshall was in the process of placing her under arrest when we arrived at the scene, same scenario, she didn’t want to go. Well until she passed out anyways. We transported her thirty miles to the hospital, she had a nice nap all the way there. Well,she did until they Narcan’ed her at the hospital.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the help. Just came back from the doctor. Didn't even meet the criteria to have any xrays done. Told what to watch out for in the future. Gave me the once over twice and told me to get back to work you big baby.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Glad you got checked out and you're OK.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’ve only got two eyes, two lungs, one heart, and one brain. Take care of them!
I’ve taken several falls on ice and snow. The oh, shit”, it’s so quick, I never get past “oh”.
I now have several pair of ice cleats

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1130 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post