SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk me out of a 2023 Toyota Tacoma: Suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of a 2023 Toyota Tacoma: Suggestions? Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I discovered the Taco back in college when I was delivering pizza for Dominos. Our Company truck was a Tacoma. We beat the hell out of it. We used to stop it by throwing it into park. We had a lot of dirt roads and literally used to jump that thing.

After college I finally need a small truck to haul mountain bikes, camping gear and me to my favorite off road fly fishing destinations.

I beat the the hell out of that truck. My Taco has 150000 miles and I have never done anything to it other than batteries, tires and oil changes.

I am 6'06" 220 pounds and It fits me well. It will always be my favorite vehicle.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a 2017 Taco TRD Off Road for a year. I really liked the truck except that terrible transmission shift schedule. It was the worst vehicle I’ve ever driven as far as constantly lugging the engine which had little low end torque. I traded for a 4Runner which is a bit more old school.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 333 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three people I know have them , all of them said they will purchase another in the future.
One has 178,000 miles
Another has 210,000

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54661 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
My 07 has 217,000 mikes and is still going strong. You won't get that with a Ford or Chevrolet. Honda is a unibody frame with no low range.

This is so tired, and demonstrably untrue, but gets repeated like some kind of Gregorian chant.

My 02 Silverado had 285,000 on the clock when I sold it. Original motor and transmission.
My 13 F150 ecoboost had 162,000 when I sold it, nothing but oil changes and tires. Never even had a check engine light.

But I don’t blame consumers for rationalizing their choices. If I paid 40k+ for a mini-truck that gets less mpg than a full size, I’d probably tell myself some stories too.

The Tacoma is a solid choice, but it’s far from the only good option.

^^^
We are talking compacts NOT full size trucks. A Ford Ranger/Chev Colorado are nowhere near as good as Tacoma for long term reliability. It's why they dominate the market and why Ford and Chevrolet got out but are trying to get back in.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cave man opinion follows:

Toyota makes good small truck, makes good manual transmission, auto on toyota small truck not so good. IF you want a small truck get toyota. If not want toyota, get other small truck. If not want small truck get bigger truck. If not want truck get car. Any newer vehicle will likely do job. Decide, get vehicle go back to clubbing things on head and eating meat.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Modern vehicles are very reliable. Toyota has no special advantage over the other manufacturers. I would buy on price and features. I have owned a Tacoma and I sold it with over 300,000 miles on it! However, it wasn't half the truck of the current Dakota I'm driving...which has 280,000 miles.

Posts: 1972 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's why they dominate the market and why Ford and Chevrolet got out

Ford and Chevy got out because they couldn't convince their customers to pay 38 for a mini truck when the full size had more power, more towing, the same mpg, and was only 2 grand more.

The only reason they're getting back in is because full size trucks are priced in the stratosphere and there's enough wiggle room that they can finally push the small truck idea again.

My FIL has a Colorado with less than 20,000 on it. He bought it because it was easier for him to get in. And he'll tell you that. It's the same high-ass priced insurance, it's the same shitty mpg, and it's the same high-dollar tires and batteries and oil changes as the Silverado 1500 it replaced. The only difference is it doesn't have the motor, trans, frame, or brakes to pull the hat off a democrat.

But at least he's honest about it. He bought it because it would still do some truck things, and it was easy for him to get in and out of.

Like I said, Tacoma is a solid choice. Buy whatever you want, but don't try to rationalize it by pushing the idea that American trucks won't go 200k. It's just not true.

Posts: 10759 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I bought my Tacoma new 10 years ago. It's a great truck and I will probably keep it for another 10 years. It's had two recalls, one for catalytic converter replacement and one for corrosion protection of the frame. Other than that (which cost me nothing) it's been routine maintenance, a set of tires, and a battery. It is a 4x4 with the 2.7L 4 cyl & 4 speed automatic trans. That's been a fine combination for my modest needs. I have driven a V-6 Taco and must admit I really liked the extra power & acceleration. To boot, the mileage is about the same for both engines.

It's a third generation. When I bought it, all the "experts" were bemoaning the 3rd generation Tacos. Apparently they liked the 2nd generation better. This is my first Taco so I don't know. It just seems like you always hear "the older ones were better." All I know is that this is a great truck, well worth what it cost me.

If I suddenly needed another truck, I would buy another Taco unless the Tundra looks like a better deal. Probably would go with the V-6 and the automatic trans.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Might wait for the 2024 model that will be out soon. If you're dead set on a Taco, that is. By all accounts I've read the new generation will be a better truck. Still has the weird seating position though, which is why I won't have one. If not for that I'd be interested. I am interested in the upcoming 2024 Ranger though, but mostly because it's an easy 12k less than an F150.

Posts: 1732 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
I drove a Taco and a Tundra and it was no contest. The Taco is the #1 selling light truck in the country, and priced that way. Noooo dealing on it. Nervous handling, weird seat position, and expensive. Looks good, though.

Tundra: competes with the F-150, the #1 selling domestic vehicle in the country. Better deals to be had. Ride is waaaaayyy better, and full-size. I bought the Tundra. When this one dies, I’ll buy another one.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8799 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I owned a '82 Toyota Hilux, a '91 4Runner and a '98 4Runner, so take that bias into account.

Pre-2015 Tacomas are great, especially with a manual transmission. This is why they have an absolute cult following. They have their issues (frame rust and early V6 head gaskets), but they are generally solid great vehicles. The early 2010's Tacos to me and just about the perfect medium size truck (which is why they hold their value and folks charge a premium for them).

The post-2015 Tacos with the fiberglass bed and 3.5L V6 are very "meh" to me. I have a couple buddies with them and I feel like they went the wrong direction (and I'm not alone).

We will see what the 4th Gen (2024+) Tacos are like. I'd wait for one of those.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
My 2008 Access cab, 5 lug 2WD 4 Cal has 150k I love it. Buy it

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7904 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will see what the 4th Gen (2024+) Tacos are like. I'd wait for one of those.

Link spy shots 2024 Tacoma TRD OffRoad

Link 2024 GMC Canyon AT4X

2024 Chevy ZR2

Posts: 23495 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Wife and I were recently shopping vehicles for both of us. We test drove an Escape, Acadia, Explorer, Tahoe, Silverado, Sierra, 4 Runner, Pathfinder, Ram 1500, and GX460.

The 4 runner was her favorite on looks and specs going in, but after test driving all of them it was our least favorite of the group. All vehicles are a compromise, the problem is that it didn't really stand out anywhere. The 3.5 engine is incredibly underwhelming, the creature comforts were worse than everything else we tried, and it actually rode worse than my 1996 Jeep XJ. We both looked at each other during the test drive and just said no. We didn't drive a Tacoma, but it's pretty similar to the 4-runner and after driving that I'm firmly convinced that the only reason it leads it's segment is that it's been alone in it's segment for so long.

I ended up getting a GX460 which while still underwhelming in the engine department is a step up in literally every direction. She liked the Pathfinder the best and we're going to look at getting one of those in a year or so, but we'll see what all the 2024 models have to offer before pulling the trigger. It looks like they're making a whole lot of improvements to the Tacoma for '24, so maybe it will be back on the table as well but the current model doesn't interest me at all.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two Tacomas, and currently drive a 2022 model. Mine doesn't drip, seems to have sufficient power for my needs, and gets between 22 and 24 MPG depending on how I drive (more on long trips). Regardless of what others say, the door plate on my Taco says it was built in Austin, Texas. They may employ some Mexicans there, I don't know. If you decide on one, PM me and I will refer you to a dealer who charges just MSRP, no extras.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would probably wait since you’re not in a desperate need. Th next gen is due in a year and it will be a huge jump sinc the current one has been around along time.

Posts: 3926 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I discovered the Taco back in college when I was delivering pizza for Dominos. Our Company truck was a Tacoma. We beat the hell out of it. We used to stop it by throwing it into park. We had a lot of dirt roads and literally used to jump that thing.

After college I finally need a small truck to haul mountain bikes, camping gear and me to my favorite off road fly fishing destinations.

I beat the the hell out of that truck. My Taco has 150000 miles and I have never done anything to it other than batteries, tires and oil changes.

I am 6'06" 220 pounds and It fits me well. It will always be my favorite vehicle.

That's a great story. Cool

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24138 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I went through the same thing in 2019 and bought a Ridgeline. Previously owned a 4X4 Tundra and the first gen Ridgeline. I drove everything on the market at the time, including the Raptor, many Diesels, everything. Ridgeline handled pavement the best, and had the best drivetrain for all weather capability. I prefer AWD over a 4X4 because if I’m going off reading I’ll be in a SXS or MX bike, not a 40k or more truck. Ridgeline tows what I need, my pwc on a trailer, will tow the boat I have planned for the future and it’s main duty pulls my motorcycles to the track. 5000 lb towing capacity is more than enough for my needs and it handles pavement better than any truck on the market because it’s not BOF. Love the thing. It’s paid off now, and will be owned for 20+ years. As a tall man the Taco seating position has always been awkward. But if I had need for 4X4 it would be the truck of choice. I’m just happy I got mine when I did. 6 months before the pandemic. RTL AWD and I paid 33.5k + TTL for a brand new one. Felt like I was stealing getting all the truck capability I needed for that dollar amount, new. Immediately modded it to RTL-E levels with the heated steering wheel, full aftermarket audio system, app/phone based alarm, tonneau, new wheels and tires. It’s been great. I love that fucking thing.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12644 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post