SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had health and wealth, what period of time would you want to experience?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had health and wealth, what period of time would you want to experience? Login/Join 
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted
Many years age, in a cabin in northern Minnesota, my father and and I played this game. We both agreed that the mid/late 1930's would be the time. World travel was evolving, the world didn't completely hate everybody else and there were still things to discover. Blame it on Raiders of the lost Ark if you want, but that is when I would want to experience.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Same thing, that era has always intrigued me. Music, cars, houses, clothing.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8138 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I would like to live during the time that the pyramids are being built or when the Greek empire is is thriving

Posts: 53232 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, mid '20's to late '30's, when Broadway Musicals were at their best.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Late 50's to early 70's. The musclecar era and the golden age of drag racing. Plus I could have bought new Pythons for about 125 bucks apiece.

Posts: 418 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The 30's. As in AD 30 - 36 in the middle east.
It would be fascinating and answer a lot of questions.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the U.S., probably 1890-1900 or so (the Gilded age). Anywhere else in the world, 1920s continental Europe, maybe up until 1932 or so. Couln't abide or tolerate proto-Nazis getting in power and systmetized anti-Semiticism being planned/starting.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose I'm different, I grew up in the late 50's and to me that was the Golden Age. Hot cars and a wonderful time. 70's muscle cars came next and I was in my realm!

Had a 70 Dodge Challenger that I had a hell of a summer in when I was 18!!

Still look back with fond memories!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I suppose I'm different, I grew up in the late 50's and to me that was the Golden Age. Hot cars and a wonderful time. 70's muscle cars came next and I was in my realm!

Had a 70 Dodge Challenger that I had a hell of a summer in when I was 18!!

Still look back with fond memories!!

Ignoring for the moment Viet Nam and the draft, I'd like to relive about 1964 to 1970 as a young adult with the means to enjoy the cars of that era.

As it was, I was 14 in 1964 and couldn't muster up two nickels to rub together if my life depended on it.

From a purely historical standpoint, 1900 to about 1940 would have been fascinating. Technology really got a jump start in that time frame.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Anything before the time when phones got smart and the people got stupid.

Waxing nostalgic about times gone bye is simple enough. Would love to be a blacksmith in the golden age of steam. Looking at the technology that was developing in the '30s seems more impressive than developments existing today. To think what was designed with patience and a slide rule? Yeah. Settling the western frontier would be fun, except for the rattlesnakes, brutal wilderness, and dysentery.

The most rewarding of all would be:

quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
The 30's. As in AD 30 - 36 in the middle east.
It would be fascinating and answer a lot of questions.

Posts: 9169 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I would like to be 18 in 1938.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The 1970's, post pill and pre-AIDS. I lived through it once, and it was a magical time.

Posts: 6510 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:

the mid/late 1930's would be the time.
The time when Hitler was coming into power?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I would like to live during the time that the pyramids are being built or when the Greek empire is is thriving

Same here. Consider: when the great pyramids at Giza were built was more distant in time to Cleopatra than she is to us, and she died not too long after the height of the Greek world. An awe-inspiring few thousand years in human history.

I think it would be amazing to see what life was like during some of the highlights of antiquity in the various high cultures around the Mediterranean. What was Athens like just prior to the Pelopponesian war? Egypt under the rule of any one of a couple dozen different pharaohs? Rome at the end of Vespasian’s life, or under Marcus Aurelius? So hard to pick. There’s nearly three thousand years of history in those areas that I would love to see and experience first-hand, if it were somehow possible.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The year 2121, just to see how things progress from here.

I guess I'm more interested in the future than the past since we know how the past turns out Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If this is one of those time travel things, I just want to go back to 1980 and live that again.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1880 to 1900. I want to experience the Old West.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16123 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is this go and come back? Or have health and wealth and just be living in a select time period? Not time travel back but just exist at that time but healthy and wealthy?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12758 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
If this is one of those time travel things, I just want to go back to 1980 and live that again.

I hate to spoil it for you, but USA won in Hockey, and USSR lost in Afghanastan. Wink

Me? Well, Mr Peabody, I'd set the way-back machine to 1774, 1775 or so... I'd like to really see the how's and why's of the Revolution. I'd really like to hang out with Hamilton, Franklin, Washington, King and their pals in the 1780's, see what was going on with them.

Number Two would be the mid to late 1800's or so. Checking out that "cowboy" thing out west.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
1950's and 60's. I'd love to see my grandparents in their prime and I would've loved to have hunted mule deer in Utah during that time period.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post