SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had health and wealth, what period of time would you want to experience?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had health and wealth, what period of time would you want to experience? Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
November 5, 1955.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12650 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Is this go and come back? Or have health and wealth and just be living in a select time period? Not time travel back but just exist at that time but healthy and wealthy?

That's what I want to know too. If I'm stuck there for good, I'll pick the 1990s.

Posts: 5588 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
If this is one of those time travel things, I just want to go back to 1980 and live that again.

I’m caught between wanting to relive the 80s and the rise of the muscle cars in the 50s-60s.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I think about this all the time, and for me, right now at least, I would choose colonial America around 1760, and the golden age of aviation in the 1930's - I really want to fly across the Pacific on a Pan Am Boeing 314 Clipper.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I’ll take the Reagan era 80’s again.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I was born in 1948, and I'm not at the end of my road yet, but when I get there I'll be able to look back & say, "Boy! That was a hell of a ride!"

I lived through some interesting times. I'd probably change a few questionable decisions that I made, but otherwise, I'm happy to have seen the stuff I have.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine having lived most of my life in a better time. So nowhere but where I have.

Ok, maybe if I'd been born, say, 10-15 years earlier I could have missed much of the current slide into insane leftism. So, say, 1935-1940?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:

the mid/late 1930's would be the time.
The time when Hitler was coming into power?

Not particular events or people per se, but the technology, the travel, the art and architecture.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I would like to have been around when Alexander the Great was, just to observe one of the greatest military commanders of all time. The entire period from 350 BC to 250 BC would have been fascinating. Imagine the travelling that he did and how many different peoples he met. It was because of him that the Roman Empire was ever a thing (which of course led to other issues that we're still faced with today). I think seeing that much history being made would melt my brain.

Aristotle
Ptolemy I Soter = Cleopatra VII distant relative...actually not really because of inbreeding Eek and so many other rulers and Generals, vassals and whatnot.

All the natural beauty of all the lands he travelled while it was still unspoiled and undeveloped.

Only concession I'd like is a lifetime supply of Charmin and baby wipes Big Grin

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If this is a time travel thing: perhaps it might be interesting to go back to the ice age for some skiing. Or pre-historic periods to see what dinosaurs were really like and chill on pristine beaches.

If this is to select a time to live where I would be healthy and wealthy, then assuming I could live anywhere w/o concern, I'd pick 2 years ago. Live was I want, modern conveniences and when Trump was in office. Good times.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Sometime after cold fusion and faster than light travel are trivial.

I want to claim my own planetary system.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Traveling America’s backroads & rivers, carrying Mark Twain’s bags Wink

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Mid 1940’s to mid 1950’s.

Posts: 1697 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give me the 90s. Other time periods might be interesting but to live in the 90s with health, wealth and a nice balance of technology and human interaction with no PC/wokeness is ideal for me.

Posts: 829 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will take the mid 50s to the mid 60s. A great time to be alive, and people were different(better) then.

Posts: 6630 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m a millennial who has always felt disconnected from my moronic generation. I would like to have lived through and participated in the muscle car and two stroke motorcycle era in America in the 1960’s and 1970’s. Yeah it was a turbulent time but the cars and bikes from that era are the best. As a bonus it would allow me to live through the 1980’s again which would be pretty cool.

I would like to have gotten to see Barry Sheene race in person.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Central Europe 40,000 BCE

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I will take the mid 50s to the mid 60s. A great time to be alive, and people were different(better) then.

A great time indeed. Our only worry was the Soviets.

Of course, they worried about us.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Great question. Despite how shitty the current year(s) is(are), I'd still only want to continue to live in the present.

For an extended visit to observe and study, one of these:

- Sometime, somewhere in the paleolithic period. I'd love to see an unspoiled world with maybe a million people spread throughout the whole globe. It would be especially interesting to see humans interacting with other homo species. Imagine not being the only "humans" on the planet, but sharing and interacting with at least two other species! That would really put all our modern issues in perspective.

- The Pontic-Caspian steppe in the middle or early Neolithic (say 8000-6000 years ago) to observe whomever the "Proto Indo-Europeans" were. The people who are the ancestors of so many languages and cultures, the people who may well have been the first to domesticate horses for riding and likely invented the wheel (at least one instance of inventing the wheel...cuz apparently we did need to reinvent it).

- More modestly, Augustan Rome would be an amazing place to spend a year or two. I'd schmooze with Ovid, peruse the library in the Temple of Apollo and Pollio's library and check out better copies of texts than we have today and see all the things we've lost.

- Tag along with Lewis and Clark. Adventure in an unspoiled continent that we know so well but not really at all. 'Nuff said.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The problem with living in any “Golden Age” is that you cannot see it when you’re in it. Sixties and Seventies muscle cars? I’d wager that the true Golden Age of muscle cars was the 2000s-2018. You lived right trough it but didn’t notice, or more likely, couldn’t afford to participate in it.

1990s? Living through the AWB sucked. 1980s? The minute you realize you cannot Google every question, or that you cannot get Amazon delivery in 24 hours, you’ll pine for the 2020s.

This illustrates the paradox. You’d have to go back to your desired time with no memory of the current time, which would cause you to not realize you are in your selected ideal time.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post