SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Magazine storage ideas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine storage ideas Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
As I was packing for the trip yesterday and rummaging through my gun safe looking for magazines for the various handguns I took, it occurred to me that there MUST be a better way to store mags, separated by caliber and make.

I have multiple mags for 9mm (SIG and Glock) .22lr (Glock and Browning) .380 (Walther)and .45 (SIG and Kimber)

I'd like to store them in one place in a manner that is compact yet makes it easy to identify which is which.

Ideas/Examples/Sources?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15472 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Rubbermade/Sterilite drawered storage bins for me.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39185 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I use smallish clear stackable boxes that are labeled on the front.

Posts: 3677 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You'll need to label the bins or drawers, as a lot of magazines are similar in appearance and easy to confuse at a casual glance. You can buy a commercial label maker, or just write on masking tape with a marker. Razz Also, if you shot or otherwise took out more than one gun or magazine at a time, pay attention when putting the mags back in.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.containerstore.com...d?productId=11015610

I use these in various colors with Avery mailing labels. Sharpie the contents on the label, it makes finding mags far simpler than when I had them all in drawers.

Posts: 679 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
OHhhhh... I was thinking of something else.

Posts: 3458 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Rubbermade/Sterilite drawered storage bins for me.

Same, two different kinds, each labeled with tape and and a sharpie pen. Most are stacked on upper shelves in my walk-in bedroom closet, and others in a cabinet in my garage.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Small , single stack magazines in a clear fishing/tackle box container-marked with Sharpie.
Larger double stack magazines in a larger shoe box size clear plastic container.

Posts: 2366 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
What I do is expensive, but extremely organized and rugged. I use 50 cal ammo cans and Case Club's foam inserts. Case Club's most functional and practical is their 50 cal insert that holds 11 mags and a pistol. I have label on the latch (e.g. P229 40), and on my way out the door to the range I can quickly grab it and the corresponding gun (it's stored in the safe not the ammo can). When I get to the range, I have 11 loaded mags (i.e. 132 rounds for P229 40) and a gun.

I already owned the ammo cans but were underutilized. These foam inserts made them more useful.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Backstrap-side up in golf ball boxes, with Dymo labels on the backstrap showing make/caliber/ capacity. Very easy to fit in the boxes and identify at a glance.

Posts: 4556 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Dump them all in a big box with ziplock bags? lol Because organized seems to to cause me more trouble that it's worth. I have a few of the soft mag sleeves, but invariably I seem to end up with a full one, and one or two loose mags. Or one full one, and one with one mag in it.

I did the ammo box insert thing and ended up with the same issue, some in, some out.

The latest thing for me is these Allen neoprene pouches, nicer than ziplock bags. Big Grin

Generally though chaos and disorder in my method, that and having enough magazines (when possible) that it doesn't matter that I don't know where they all are.

I also always leave a magazine in the gun when stored, something I never used to do. At the bare minimum, it eliminates getting to the range and realizing you have 35 mags at home and none with you.

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sterlite shoe boxes for me.

Posts: 762 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Not to belabor the choice oddball and I use, but having drawers eliminates having to remove lids and moving boxes if they're stacked. Pretty easy access.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39185 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Of the suggestions posted so far, 6guns Sterilite drawer boxes seems the cheapest and most convenient.

I use several already for modeling supplies. The next time I swing by ChinaMart I'll pick up a couple more.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15472 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I also use plastic tubs and plastic ammo cans for magazine storage. Mags are sorted by type, with the containers labeled with masking tape.

For example, these MTM .30 cal ammo cans are great for handgun magazine storage, and this particular package comes with a 4 can tray/carrier for ease of transport and organization. The cans are stackable on themselves, and the trays are stackable too.

$40 for 4x .30 cal cans and the tray.
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-AC4...4-Can/dp/B01MU6ZAPG/

Or if you have smaller quantities of mags for certain handguns, there are mini ammo cans that come with 5 cans and a tray for $40:
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-AC5...Crate/dp/B07NDH9D93/

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ag111ga
posted Hide Post
A few possibilities here:

https://www.doublealpha.biz/magazine-storage

I personally prefer the open type:

Available in black and FDE, easy to see the content and velcro backed, can be attached directly to some cases/backpacks and/or safe doors.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Posts: 246 | Location: Denmark | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many are you talking about ?
12 ?
18 ?
40 ?
75 ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a cheap tool cabinet from Lowes. The skinny drawers hold and organize magazines and the deep drawers hold holsters. only downside is it takes up quite a bit of space.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
As others have mentioned, I've always used the small Sterilite stacked drawers and they've worked perfectly...

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1329 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the magnet strips I get free with a coupon from Harnor Freight. I stick them to the door or under side of a shelf and stick the spine of a mag to the strip. Even loaded they stay in place but if I get nervous, I just use two magnet strips. It’s a great way to double the useable area of a shelf.

Posts: 1149 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post