SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Magazine storage ideas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine storage ideas Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying a mechanics toolbox on wheels for magazines and accessories. Plenty of drawers for different model magazines. It also locks which is a nice feature.

Posts: 37 | Location: ST. CLAIR SHORES, MI, USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Midway USA and other similar nylon magazine pouches is what I use.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I keep all of mine in a 50cal ammo can on top of the safe.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11486 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Depends how many magazines of each type. If you’re dealing with 6 doublestack magazines or 12 single stack magazines, iShot used to make some nice pouches in different colors. They were similar to those shown in case’s first picture. They stopped selling to the consumer market though, so last time I needed some more I got similar pouches from Competitive Edge Dynamics. At that time, your choices with CED were black, black, or black. Smile

If a multiple of 6 isn’t what you’re looking for, this choice might be less than optimal for you.

Posts: 7106 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started using the little storage boxes like would hang on a slat wall setup from Akro-Mills. Open top and front, stackable and will fit multiple magazines from shield to Colt pattern SMG depending on size. I also have 50 cal cans and the above mentioned Midway pouches from my precious attempts to organize. I use MTM crates for AR mags and just saw they make a 10/22 mag case as well I'm thinking of trying out.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2787 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
If your situation permits, a piece of 12 gauge on your safe door instead of the Sheetrock, then add magnets. Would hold 250+ mags easily, works best for pistol mags, but metal rifle mags would also work.

If that doesn’t do it Mr. Paul, I can 3D print you some stand up mags holders also.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6643 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First why are we in a safe for magazines? Second I use fish tubs (which is in line with your location). Hold about a hundred each. Easy to mark.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11197 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I also use plastic tubs and plastic ammo cans for magazine storage. Mags are sorted by type, with the containers labeled with masking tape.

For example, these MTM .30 cal ammo cans are great for handgun magazine storage, and this particular package comes with a 4 can tray/carrier for ease of transport and organization. The cans are stackable on themselves, and the trays are stackable too.

$40 for 4x .30 cal cans and the tray.
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-AC4...4-Can/dp/B01MU6ZAPG/

Or if you have smaller quantities of mags for certain handguns, there are mini ammo cans that come with 5 cans and a tray for $40:
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-AC5...Crate/dp/B07NDH9D93/

^^^^
I use the smaller mini ammo cans for magazines not in a hard plastic sleeve like most HK and Glock magazines. For others or AR mags, I use these cans. I of course label and have a master chart with number, capacity, and type. For example Mec-gar, SIG, MDM, Beretta, etc.

I also do not mix different calibers and models. For example P228 mags aren't mixed with a .40 S&W P229.

Posts: 12594 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the safe would be one option, but any flat space would do for that sheet-metal / magnet plan. It might not fit in with the living-room decor, but would be fine in your home-office, and very convenient.

You could group the magazines by firearm/caliber, etc.

I guess it goes back to just how many magazines you need to store. For me, it would be way overkill. But if you had, say, 100 plus, it would be great.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2108 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Some excellent solutions here, however I should provide some clarification:

1. I'm only talking about a dozen or so mags in various calibers and makes.

2. Most of them are not kept in the safe, they're in a metal cabinet on top of the safe.

3. I'd much prefer they be out of sight, hence in the upper cabinet or the safe. Due to space and aesthetics, another container (toolbox or whatever) is a no-go.

4. @ OttoSig - I've thought about 3D printing some and I may yet, but on my printer that would be measured in hours, if not days.

So far, the Sterilite drawers are still the best solution for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15539 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Problem solved.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15539 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
I use the magnet strips I get free with a coupon from Harnor Freight. I stick them to the door or under side of a shelf and stick the spine of a mag to the strip. Even loaded they stay in place but if I get nervous, I just use two magnet strips. It’s a great way to double the useable area of a shelf.

This is what I do as well. But I also don't own Glocks anymore...when I did this didn't work so well.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I like the solutions posted by PHPaul (plastic drawers) and BlackTalonJHP (nylon/velcro foldover pouches). I also like the Plano 3700 Stowaway (Walmart link) boxes.

They're about six bucks apiece, capable of holding about 15-16 P229 mags, plenty durable, and with the good latches (not just a cheesy molded flap). I've got a bunch of them... for magazines, small tools, fishing gear, whatever else.

God bless America.

Posts: 13935 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post