SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USPS Priority Mail Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS Priority Mail Question Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
I sent my Glock slide back to Smyrna, GA for night sight replacement under warranty. I sent it this Thursday via USPS Priority Mail. Originally, the website stated delivery in Tuesday.

Early this morning, I received an email from USPS stating they attempted deliver today (Saturday), but "could not access the delivery location. We will redeliver on the next business day".

Then an hour go, I received another email from USPS stating this "Your package is ready for pickup at your designated post office. Your item arrived at the SMYRNA, GA 30080 post office at 5:42 pm on May 23, 2020 and is ready for pickup" . WTF? I thought there are supposed to attempt another delivery?

I don't think GLOCK staff will go to the Post Office and pick up my package. It was sent Regular Priority Mail, No Signature Confirmation requested. So how would they even know they have something to pick up?

Is there a way for me to contact USPS and have them re-deliver? I don't want my slide to sit in the USPS facility forever. I doubt they will send it back to the SENDER after few days of not being picked up.

This is so F'ed Up!

Posts: 1887 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
Don't freak out. The carrier scanned it as "business closed" and will redeliver on Tuesday with all the other packages for Glock. You can't always trust the tracking messages that get sent when something gets scanned.

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The USPS tracking system is a fiasco. I have been told the equipment is outdated when compared to FedEx and UPS. The money should have been spent on something worthwhile.

Posts: 17257 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received one of those "could not access" notifications. BS because we get our USPS stuff at a cluster box. The package showed up the next day.

So yeah, don't panic just yet. My attempts to contact USPS over the phone have been futile anyway.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My carrier tends to use "delivery location not accessible" as a stand-in for "I forgot to deliver this box".

I'll have a box that shows out for delivery. They'll drive up, stick the mail in the mailbox, then drive off. Come 4:30ish, the tracking will switch to "delivery location not accessible". As in, they got to the end of their route, saw they still had a box left over, and said "Fuck it, I'm not driving all the way back over there... I'll just do it tomorrow".

So a couple key presses on the computer, and *poof* it's magically "not accessible", and then they get to punch out on time. Roll Eyes

I've even had them do that when they deliver some, but not all, of my boxes. So you're telling me that the delivery location was accessible for 2 of the boxes, but not the 3rd?

Posts: 32536 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
They may regularly pick everything up at the PO. It would avoid firearms being transported in a periodically-unattended vehicle (the USPS truck, as the carrier walked into buildings, stopped for a taco, or visited Mrs Jones).

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
USPS is thoroughly screwed-up atm. I had a package sent from only two states away take five days to get here. A more recent pair of packages got from NY to here in one day, languished in "in transit" limbo for for three days for the last 25 miles, then suddenly showed up "out for delivery" on day five.

All three packages that had trouble had been sent Priority Mail.

I had two other packages shipped Priority Express and they both arrived more-or-less on-time. (One was one day late.)

My suspicion is that if it's not sent Priority Express, tracking and delivery will be undependable--at best.

My local route carriers, OTOH, have been great.

UPS has been dependable.

Can't speak to FedEx, but there was a news story on one of the local channels, yesterday evening, that one of the local FedEx Ground hubs has let packages sit in limbo for up to over a month!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
OK. I guess I will have to wait and see until Tuesday. I’m glad this is something that happens occasionally with USPS.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fear not - we are all experiencing the fiasco of USPS. I have a package that was "in transit to destination" three days ago from 30 miles away. It now shows "delayed, but in transit to destination". Unless that truck is broken down on the interstate, my package is likely "in another state, but now retracing it's previous travel fubar!"

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have been sending stuff I sell via Priority Mail for about five years. During that time I have had zero get lost and have sent a couple of thousand items using that method. A few have been returned due to the buyer giving a wrong or old address. The tracking isn't perfect but not that bad either.
During that time, I've sent some other stuff FedEx or UPS and had occasional problems and the same level of weird tracking descriptions. I now put duplicate labels (marked as such) on opposite sides of the boxes due to their machines damaging labels.

Posts: 9530 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Rebel:
I have a package that was "in transit to destination" three days ago from 30 miles away. It now shows "delayed, but in transit to destination". Unless that truck is broken down on the interstate, my package is likely "in another state, but now retracing it's previous travel fubar!"

More likely:

• It's sitting there where it was last scanned, staged to go on a truck, or
  • On a truck that hasn't left, or
  • The truck has arrived at the next stop but has yet to be unloaded, or
  • It's been unloaded but the stuff hasn't been scanned-in yet

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
USPS has screwed me many many times, but the following has got to be their best (i.e., worst) SNAFU of all time.

Dropped a Priority package off at the PO that was going out to AZ. Next day, tracking said it has been delivered at mailbox. Wow, I was shocked. That was lightning quick. Looked again, and it was delivered in my mailbox! Sure enough, it was in my mailbox. Mad Mad

Q

Posts: 26436 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Unless you are a firearms dealer, you are not allowed by Postal Service regulations to mail a handgun. You will be lucky if you get away with it.

My apologies. Reading comprehension is apparently not my strong suit today. I see you mailed your slide in not the whole pistol. My mistake. Sorry.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
"I don't think GLOCK staff will go to the Post Office and pick up my package. It was sent Regular Priority Mail, No Signature Confirmation requested. So how would they even know they have something to pick up?"

They would have received a notice of attempted delivery. I'm sure they have to go to the Post Office on a regular basis. They will most likely pick it up on Monday.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
They would have received a notice of attempted delivery. I'm sure they have to go to the Post Office on a regular basis. They will most likely pick it up on Monday.

Will not.

Q

Posts: 26436 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notarex:
Don't freak out. The carrier scanned it as "business closed" and will redeliver on Tuesday with all the other packages for Glock. You can't always trust the tracking messages that get sent when something gets scanned.

This^ Tracking messages/updates are notoriously misleading and inaccurate. It happens with me all the time. I would simply check with the addressee on Wednesday and take it from there. Most likely, everything is ok and on track.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:

Will not.

Ah yes, you are most certainly correct!

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
My carrier

Should be fired, and charged with delaying first class mail.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4620 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Here's one for the books. Placed an order Sunday. Got the shipping notification on Tuesday, with an estimated delivery of Friday.

It's out for delivery today.

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
It's out for delivery today.

Did it arrive?

Posts: 9057 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post