SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Dealers BEGGING For HELP From Manufacturers
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Dealers BEGGING For HELP From Manufacturers Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I recently went shopping for a Jeep Wrangler, and the dealerships tried to shit me every way I turned. Finally found one I liked for a price I could live with, then the real shit show started.

They were asking a decent price, but add $1500 if I didn't finance through them. Oh, add another $1000 because I wasn't trading my truck in but was selling it as a private seller.

Fuck. That. I found another Wrangler I liked at a small car lot that I dealt with in the past. No doc fees and gave me what I was asking for my truck as a private sale and a decent price on the Wrangler. SOLD!

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I have an 03 Tundra and an 05 Colorado that I plan to drive until they die. I would never pay 70k for a new pickup even if I could afford to.

My '13 Tundra just rolled over 69K miles. My '20 RAV4 has ~29K miles. I'm 73. I see no reason those two vehicles won't last me the rest of my driving life.

The only possibility I can imagine is if the government arbitrarily outlaws ICE vehicles, and I really don't see that happening.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15283 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
1997 Toyotta Corolla - 196,000+ miles
2011 Toyota Venza - 76,600 miles

Don’t see buying another vehicle, let alone a new, overpriced, government-regulated vehicle in the time I have left on this blue marble. 25 years, give or take…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Occasionally, I watch the YouTube channel Ray and Zach or their other channel CarEdge. They recently shared the top 10 and worst 10 vehicles for dealership inventory which became a Sigforum thread
  • Comparing the Top 10 and Bottom 10, price was the major factor and as a result the dealerships had less than 31 days of inventory of the low priced cars. The high priced cars/trucks aren't selling and the dealership inventory was many, many months (3 were beyond a year).
  • Stellantis (i.e. new name for Chrysler) has 7 of 10 worst selling vehicles.

They also did a video recently on price increases in 5 years. Stellantis was worst with 48.61% versus GM's 26.99% and Ford's 41.92%. It's showing in days of inventory on dealerships lots with Stellantis being worst at 160 days versus GM being 67 days and Ford being 84 days.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23348 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Husband, Father, Aggie,
    all around good guy!
    Picture of HK Ag
    posted Hide Post
    In 2010 at Christmas I screwed up and rear ended a car while out Christmas shopping. My 2000 Nissan Frontier was totaled as a result, so I had to buy a new truck.
    Well I got a F150 for the size, 2 kids growing into big kids and just wanted to be able to carry more stuff. So I got a 2011 XLT trim F150, I wanted to reward Ford for not taking the Obama bailout.

With 7yr extended warranty I left the lot just at $30K.

Now that trim is pushing $55-65K! What changed in 10 years to double the price, my salary didnt double. I guess the UAW salaries doubled.

Yeah a correction is sorely needed.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    safe & sound
    Picture of a1abdj
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Yeah a correction is sorely needed.

Perhaps a correction is what's already going on. If they make vehicles too expensive to own, then you'll just have to have a subscription, use as a ride share, or just not travel as much. Might have something to do with owning nothing and being happy.........

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15737 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    Prices high now, wait till the cost of the union deals kick in.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Political Cynic
    Picture of nhtagmember
    posted Hide Post
    I have a 2016 Tacoma and it runs just fine at 70k miles.

I toyed with the idea of upgrading to the latest Tundra. Don’t really need it, not towing anything

Anyhow I saw one in the showroom floor and I thought to myself that it was a great vehicle.

Looked at the sticker and it was $86k.

Nope. Not in this lifetime.

Give me a standard shift truck with manual door locks and wind up/down windows, no gps or cameras, no computers.

Make one of those and I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

Posts: 53246 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I remember not too long ago, during my adult car buying life and I’m not even 50 that if you told me you bought a $100k+ car I’d assume it was a European sports car. German or Italian you pick.

Even around here you can get close to buying a condo for 100k.

Saw a video recently that’s top of the line raptor which is an amazing truck. With an MSRP of about 100k. Had a dealer market adjustment of 100k. With other BS add ons the asking was 230k. Lol.

These dealers are high as a kite I want some of what they’re smoking asking these prices. And heading into higher rates and a worsening economy?

And the big 3 are signing UAW contracts for insane hourly wages. oh ok bro. F them

I’ll buy another Toyota when one of mine dies if I ever buy brand new again.

Posts: 4787 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Quit staring at my wife's Butt
    Picture of XLT
    posted Hide Post
    Boats are just as bad I purchased mine before all this craziness started and It's the first boat I could actually make money on too bad I enjoy it so much.

Posts: 5610 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sourdough44
    posted Hide Post
    I just did a rear brake job on my 2017 Silverado, 138k miles. The other day.

Today I did a front brake job on the sister’s 2006 car, 238k miles.

I’ve been paying more attention to preventative maintenance, belts, hoses, plugs, fluids, etc.

Tomorrow I plan new plugs in Mom’s 2006 Camry. I recently fixed up a 2010 Ford Focus, everyone seems to like it. I think it will go to Mom for a while.

I don’t feel like buying new right now.

Posts: 6197 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    186,000 miles per second.
    It's the law.

posted Hide Post
    The trend has reversed, and manufacturers and dealers better adjust fast.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/ec...payments-record-pace

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Leemur:
    There has to be a market correction or no one will be able to afford anything.

I think that is inevitable at this point

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mcrimm
    posted Hide Post
    Over the past 5 years I sold two vehicles privately. The first was a 2018 F-150 Platinum that sold for within a $1,000 of what I paid for it. The second was a 2019 Honda Passport Elite that sold for about $1,500 less than I paid for it. Cheap miles!

What could I get for my 2021 Toyota Highlander Platinum Hybrid today?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
    When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Lt CHEG
    posted Hide Post
    I’m convinced that part of the extreme price increase in new vehicles, and increase that’s more than double that of inflation, is because manufacturers have to subsidize the cost of electric vehicles. The manufacturers can’t sell electric cars for anywhere near what they cost to produce and government subsidies only cover so much. With the switchover to electric vehicles, partly of their own virtue signaling, ESG stupidity, and partly because of government fiat, these companies need capital to make the switchover happen. Sure inflation is real, but it’s nowhere near the 48% increase in cost of Stellantis vehicles in 4 years. The fact that Stellantis has increased their prices the most, and we’re at the same time the least prepared for electrification is no coincidence. I really applaud Toyota for having the guts to say what we all know to be true with respect to fully electric vehicles and them carving their own way without pledging full electrification before some absurd pipe dream of a date. Again it’s not a coincidence that Toyota’s price increases are among the more reasonable of automobile manufacturers all things considered.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I used to have a 2002 Chevy Silverado Quadrasteer. I loved that truck. Now I've got a 2015 Silverado 1500. I saw that Hummer was making a new vehicle that had quadrasteer. Problem is it's all electric. NO THANKS! Went past the local Chevy dealer a couple of days ago and damned if they didn't have one on the lot. I have to admit it was a nice looking truck. So I looked it up. List Price is $120,000 Eek

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lawyers, Guns
    and Money
    Picture of chellim1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
    I’m convinced that part of the extreme price increase in new vehicles, and increase that’s more than double that of inflation, is because manufacturers have to subsidize the cost of electric vehicles. The manufacturers can’t sell electric cars for anywhere near what they cost to produce and government subsidies only cover so much. With the switchover to electric vehicles, partly of their own virtue signaling, ESG stupidity, and partly because of government fiat, these companies need capital to make the switchover happen. Sure inflation is real, but it’s nowhere near the 48% increase in cost of Stellantis vehicles in 4 years. The fact that Stellantis has increased their prices the most, and we’re at the same time the least prepared for electrification is no coincidence. I really applaud Toyota for having the guts to say what we all know to be true with respect to fully electric vehicles and them carving their own way without pledging full electrification before some absurd pipe dream of a date. Again it’s not a coincidence that Toyota’s price increases are among the more reasonable of automobile manufacturers all things considered.

Bingo!

Yet another reason I don't want an electric vehicle.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
    -- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
    -rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    We all like NEW but with being force fed EV's and all of the invasive controls of technology ~ I don't want a new car.
    I love my 2004 TITAN but some of effects of old age is getting to it with creaks and bumps and some obvious cosmetic wear but overall it does everything I want.
    I still question myself to buy new or just keep it up.
    Drives great with a nice sound system that covers up the noise.
    So as long as these cars are prices out of sight with so much unnecessary shit, I may just keep on truckin'.

Posts: 22958 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    probably a good thing
    I don't have a cut
    posted Hide Post
    Government mandated gas milage requirements with penalties for every V8 pickup that doesn't meet them is part of the problem isn't it?

Posts: 3392 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I was reading the new high trim Tundra and Sequoia are $85k.

I recognize I've moved into grumpy-old-man mode, and can't understand how much houses, property, cars, milk, whatever are these days. However accounting for inflation that's about $50K 20 years ago. Or $39K in 1993 when I bought a Suburban for $30K.

Yeah that's some more, but the technology, options, power and life expectancy are dramatically different.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12458 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post