SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Son picking up a trike today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son picking up a trike today Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That's probably the best looking Can Am I've seen. I notice a fair number of them on the road. What's the difference between a Spyder and Ryker?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Spyder is a dresser / cruiser and Ryker is more adventure / sport.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The Ryker is also somewhat smaller.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
OK thanks.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been on two wheels for 4 decades. Right at 400,000 miles on two wheels. Got sick and now I’m afraid of the weight of the motorcycles. I’m wanting the Spyder RT. Goy some nice older BMWs that are going up for sale.

Posts: 93 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
A good alternative for someone who loves being in the open air but no longer can ride a motorcycle is the CanAm in the thread, or they also make the Slingshot,

Slingshot is pretty cool, larger, more room, like a convertible but three wheels, 4 cyl engine

Slingshot

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
A good alternative for someone who loves being in the open air but no longer can ride a motorcycle is the CanAm in the thread, or they also make the Slingshot,

Slingshot is pretty cool, larger, more room, like a convertible but three wheels, 4 cyl engine

Slingshot

My father on law tested one not long after they came out.
Said it was too easy to spin the rear wheel.
It's also as wide as a Z06 Corvette Eek

For what they cost, I'd buy a ND Miata

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15339 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My son has been a motorcyclist for decades. But at this stage in his life wanted something a tad more visible and safer.
He test drove the Polaris Slingshot, Can-Am Spyder, HD Trike, and Honda Gold Wing 3-wheel conversions along with the 82hp 8k rpm 3-cylinder Ryker 900 Sport he bought. The later was best for stability and the fun factor. Granted it comes with an automatic tranny only but still.
As an aside he's also driven my "4-wheel motorcycle," 2003 Honda S2000 AP1 9k rpm fun machine.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
S2k FTW! Especially with the F20 with the higher [9k] redline.

Posts: 15339 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A couple of quick snapshots of my son returning home this afternoon aboard his 2022 Ryker 900 Sport.

And yes he's wearing a backpack. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Looks good, the sport model he got has a mean front face!

No thanks on a Miata, tiny, cramped I have to wear goggles to keep the wind out of my eyes since I look over the windshield or scrunch down in it which isn't comfortable for me...

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
He's 6' and shoehorns himself into my S2000 when he drives it. Big Grin

Drove it to work despite the cold weather today. Co-worker's wife has a Stryker. He sat on the Ryker and commented about how much more comfortable the seating is, much closer to the ground, and of course smaller than his wife's model.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My cousin and her husband have a 2019 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited. Much BIGGER than my son's Ryker. That said they are very happy with it having moved from a Harley 2 wheeler due to his bad back.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Is he extra long legged or long torso-ed?
I'm 6' and never had any issue in any Miata/S2k/Midget/Spitfire etc.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Is he extra long legged or long torso-ed?
I'm 6' and never had any issue in any Miata/S2k/Midget/Spitfire etc.

34" inseam

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Same here :shrug:
Sorry for the drift. Hope the Ryker serves him well!

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Among the bikes he's had in the past was a '49 Panhead. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nothing that old for me.
Had 2 bikes in the garage at one point
2001 Indian Scout [essentially a Harley Softail underneath]
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S [cruiser body, sportbike heart, Ninja 650 p-twin]

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’d like to get a Boss Hoss trike, used preferably since the cost is much less. I’ve seen some used ones that were reasonably priced. I like the idea of the stability and being able to roast the tires at will.

Glad he enjoys his.
Boss Hoss

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Nothing that old for me.
Had 2 bikes in the garage at one point
2001 Indian Scout [essentially a Harley Softail underneath]
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S [cruiser body, sportbike heart, Ninja 650 p-twin]

I started with a Suzuki X6 Hustler and quickly moved to a Norton. Had several Nortons over the years (750 and 850cc) including a sidecar rig and a Dunstall-Norton cafe racer. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
I’d like to get a Boss Hoss trike

A V8 powered trike was never under consideration by him.

Seen plenty of the dual rear trike jobs at Sturgis and them trying to navigate the great scenic roads in the Black Hills...pass. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192