SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    General noob advice for someone looking to buy their first motorcycle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

General noob advice for someone looking to buy their first motorcycle Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
'Nother noob question:

What do you do for winter storage? I don't have a garage. Cars are parked on a gravel driveway, which already strikes me as an unfavorable situation for a kickstand.

For the off season, would it be best to put the bike up on a swing arm stand and cover? If things continue as they have the last few years, there'd be at least one snow that dumps over 8".

Landlord might be paving the driveway, but for the moment, it's gravel.
Some folks have been known to park their bikes inside the house during the winter--like in the guest bedroom (floor covering to protect against drips). I knew one Harley rider who parked his in the living room.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
gravel driveway

I would think a piece of 3/4" plywood, about a foot square, under the kickstand would be sufficient to keep it from sinking. Or a full sheet so you can put the bike up on its center stand. This would be more stable and greatly simplifies rear wheel and chain service.

Posts: 28029 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't be intimidated by CC's, you can buy a 1200 CC bike that's only generating 100 HP or less so there's no reason to purchase a low displacement bike like a 500 and then quickly grow out of it and end up buying another bike. My advice don't buy a bike with to much HP/torque, don't by a bike that's to heavy like a top of the line HD, don't buy a brand new bike just something a few years old with low miles, take the motorcycle safety course and buy good riding gear. Good riding gear will help mitigate but not eliminate injuries. My first bike was a BMW R1150R, 1150 CC but low HP, 85, it was a great bike to learn to ride because it wasn't to heavy, wasn't to fast and wasn't to slow so it was a really good bike to learn how to ride.

Posts: 1634 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
gravel driveway

I would think a piece of 3/4" plywood, about a foot square, under the kickstand would be sufficient to keep it from sinking. Or a full sheet so you can put the bike up on its center stand. This would be more stable and greatly simplifies rear wheel and chain service.
When you're at Revzilla, take a look at their kickstand pad. I keep one in my tank bag just in case I need to park or pull off some place with gravel.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23354 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
One time bike owner here. Too many dogs and dangerous little old ladies for me back then.

Some great advice from folks here, wishing you good luck in your choice and riding future.

At my age, If I were to buy a bike, this is what I would buy. I've always liked these Honda's.

https://motocrossactionmag.com...coming-back-in-2021/

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post