SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    General noob advice for someone looking to buy their first motorcycle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

General noob advice for someone looking to buy their first motorcycle Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I'm strongly considering getting into a motorcycle next summer. Midlife crisis? Maybe, but something I've been looking to get into for years now, so I'm going to make it happen.

Never had the luxury of growing up with dirt bikes or 4 wheelers, so riding experience is very low.

Had a friend of my wife's bring his bike over last summer and rode it around a parking lot for maybe an hour. I am fine with the basic operation and drive stick, so it's not an entirely new idea.

I'll obviously be doing a motorcycle safety course in the spring and starting to get gear before I buy a bike.

My intention is to get a bike no bigger than a 650 to go to work a few days a week or tool around. Commute is like 20 min on back roads. My area is suburban/rural with some nice twisty country roads and/or all the red lights on the main drag. I'm interested primarily in a naked bike, neo-cafe or similar. Think Honda CB650R, which has me jonesing.

So my question is this: tell me anything and everything since I'm a rank beginner. Any piece of advice you think could be helpful, from purchasing tips, to riding tips, to gear tips.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Research safety gear. Quality Kevlar gear is what you want.
This company has some of the best safety wise and it's also very comfortable. Some good articles too.

https://www.motoport.com/category/articles/

Posts: 9564 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Get a dirt bike and spend the first year learning bike control off-road. Then go play in traffic.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
After a career in emergency services I know too well and have seen absolute devastating results of motorcycle mishaps.....all too often NOT the bikers fault...and there is no way in hell I would get one. But that’s just me, I don’t fault anyone that wants to roll the dice.
Having said that, my advice is to get a quality helmet, don’t be cheap.....and be VERY careful....you won’t be seen by most drivers.

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider something smaller in displacement, maybe in the 500 / 550 range.

Make sure that BOTH of your feet can touch the ground when still.

Get a newer bike as it will have better braking than an older bike.

Check any ego you may have at the door and absorb all of the good advice that you can.

Leather jacket and gloves.

No shoes or sneaks with laces as they can get hung up on the foot-pegs at the worst time.

Get a quality helmet.

Wear earplugs on long trips (they GREATLY reduce fatigue).

Drive very defensively. Pretend that EVERYONE driving a car or truck is a distracted driver that wants to kill you.

BEWARE the left-hand turner in front you.

Keep in 1st gear at stop lights and keep an eye on the rear view mirrors for someone not slowing down.

Always have an ‘out’ or escape route in mind.

Learn how to counter-steer, both gently and agressively.

You MUST train yourself to NOT target fixate. In other words, look at where you want to go, NOT at the ‘thing’ you want to avoid hitting or running over, etc., because you will hit it.

Lots more to learn.

Have fun!!

Posts: 3500 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1st bike? Used 250 Ninja. You can sell it next year for what you paid for it and move up to a larger displacement (if you think you're ready).

Posts: 7575 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I would say 650cc is about the biggest you should consider. My first m/c was a 350 twin (Honda) and it was peppy enough for most purposes (I wasn't a lightweight guy, either). I graduated from it to a 650 vertical twin (Yamaha) and it did a fine job. I finished with a 1000cc HD Sportster--loved the sound. Bad accident in 1989 grounded me for good.

Don't get a bike that encourages you to ride beyond your experience and ability. Wear good gear and watch everyone on the road. The M/C safety course is essential. Don't be thinking that back roads are safer than major ones--those back roads often have cows or horses roaming on them (or deer).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your decision to ride! IMO a 4 cyl 650 is the "largest (if not too large)" bike I'd recommend to start on. I'd probably look for a used CB300 or used CB250.
While commuting on a motorcycle is "ok" I guess better than commuting in a cage, be sure to ride whatever MC you end up with out of town to ride small rural roads.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7125 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
That is a very individual question. Not everyone needs to start out on a ninja or a 650 cruiser.

Take the motorcycle safety class as soon as possible, and immediately schedule the advanced rider course as soon as you purchase a bike.

Insurance rates will somewhat influence the CC decision.

Buy once, cry once when it comes to gear. Different gear for different styles. Different bikes and gear for different missions.

What kind of bike do YOU want to get? What kind of riding do you think you want to do?

Racing bikes, and heavy large bikes are not great for newbies, but everyone is different.

Who do you think you'll ride with? Tell us what you think you like and we can start helping you narrow down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
What sunburn said. Start with a used dirt/dual purpose bike.
Better to drop it in the dirt than on pavement.

Think of it like getting a 22 caliber pistol. Master the basics, achieve the confidence then go for the bigger calibers.

Posts: 2309 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
A Honda Shadow 750 is a great option, very easy to ride, reliable, inexpensive, and easy to find. They are a great starter bike or more and not too big or heavy or powerful enough to get you in trouble. I started with one late in life, after lessons, rode it for a year and a half, then traded up to a Road King. Depends on what type of riding you want to do, but I like a more upright comfortable riding position, so a cruiser works for me. Consider comfort for longer rides. Take lessons, then start in neighborhoods, then find good backroads without traffic, then gradually do more. But always assume they don’t see you. Good luck and ride safe!

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you've put some thought into it already, so good on ya for doing your due diligence.

I haven't ridden a bike in years and, honestly, while I do miss it, I realize that things happen fast on them and that it is a very physical activity that requires mental sharpness and (sometimes) fast reflexes... and I question whether I'm up to the challenge now. But there is a part of me that would love to get back into it, both for the exhilaration and just to see if I could hack it. Wink

The first piece of advice I got before I started riding my first street bike (VF 400), was "to ride for the crash."

At the time I was a cocky kid, and knew that it would never happen to me, because I was going to be good, and I was going to be smart, and I was going to be cautious.

But, I did heed that advice... and it served me well as I wiped out on 3 different occasions. 1 inattentive driver trying to jump out in traffic, 1 my fault taking a sharp turn too fast and ended up in a ditch, and 1 a deer that popped me on a rural back country road 5 minutes from work...and I had numerous other close calls and missed disaster by a split second.

No matter how long or short a ride, no matter how hot or cold it is, ride for the crash. Get on the bike expecting a mishap; someone cuts you off, a driver doesn't see you and pulls out in front of you in traffic and you have a split second to react, expect a herd of deer to suddenly out of nowhere run in front of you or the traffic immediately around you and you've got furry bowling balls rolling into your line, expect drunk/ stoned/ distracted drivers to miss seeing you. Each and every time as you fire up the bike and get ready for a ride, remind yourself that this is the ride where it could happen, check yourself mentally and physically, make sure you're up for it, and wear your helmet and FULL protective gear, each and every time you ride. No Exceptions.

Beyond that advice, I'd say don't ride to your bike's performance, ride to your abilities, for that ride. You can get yourself into trouble in the blink of an eye, on a bike. Avoid distractions; enjoy the ride but keep your head on a swivel and stay focused.

As you become a more experienced rider, things will slow down just a tad, and you'll be able to take in more.

I'm not trying, in any way to scare you, riding is an absolute blast, and I've got thousands of miles of fun rides to think back on. Lots of good memories... but ride with respect each and every time you climb onboard.

Have a blast, and let us know what bike you settle on! Cool

I'm guessing most of today's bikes have fuel gauges, but most of the bikes when I was riding, did not. I had a friend with a newish bike back then that did have a crude digital LCD fuel gauge; marked F 3/4 1/2 1/4 and then in place of an "E" it had a little digital stick figure dude pushing his bike. It was funny to watch, but also a good reminder that you didn't want to be that guy. Wink

... ohh, and never ride a bike heavier than you can pick up off the ground.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
Go on YouTube and watch Ride Like A Pro videos. He’s a great teacher.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Sit on a wide variety of bikes. Some will feel better to you than others. A bike needs to fit you if you’re going to be comfortable on it.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5692 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Long story short: I highly recommend doing what I did Spring 2019. Start off in a MSF course and the afternoon of the 2nd day ask your instructor for a recommendation for a first bike.
quote:
Originally posted by SJS:
A Honda Shadow 750 is a great option, very easy to ride, reliable, inexpensive, and easy to find. They are a great starter bike or more and not too big or heavy or powerful enough to get you in trouble. I started with one late in life, after lessons, rode it for a year and a half, then traded up to a Road King. Depends on what type of riding you want to do, but I like a more upright comfortable riding position, so a cruiser works for me. Consider comfort for longer rides. Take lessons, then start in neighborhoods, then find good backroads without traffic, then gradually do more. But always assume they don’t see you. Good luck and ride safe!
This was my first motorcycle.

Long version:
I had a moped as a teen, but I had never ridden a motorcycle on-road or off-road. I was enduring a stressful period in my life where I needed a stress reliever, and decided I wanted to try motorcycling. I followed Sigforum's advice and signed up for MSF course. The instructor was a retired California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer and he was an excellent instructor. First time ever riding a motorcycle was in that parking lot. During the afternoon break on the 2nd day (i.e. he had seen me ride for 1-3/4 days at this point), I approached the instructor and asked for his suggestion on a first bike. I had been looking at Rebel 500s, but was surprised when he recommended the Honda Shadow 750. It's low center of gravity, steers easy, the 750 will get up to Texas highway speeds but nothing crazy, and I was muscular enough to handle that size bike as my first bike. He was a Harley guy (rode a HD Ultra Limited which is their nicest dresser), but he recommended against first bikes with high cg such as the HD Sportster.

The day after my MSF course, I began buy motorcycle safety gear online (helmet, gloves, motorcycle jacket with CE spine protection, gloves with kevlar knuckles, motorcycle boots, and kevlar jeans). The weekend after graduating from the MSF class, I went to my local Honda dealer and purchased a 3 year old Honda Shadow Phantom with 1100 miles on it. In under 2 years, I put nearly 5000 miles on it and I only rode fall, winter and spring (summer is too damn hot to ride full gear). I really enjoyed that bike and it was a great foundation for upgrading to a mid-sized cruiser (i.e. Indian Scout ABS).

I wanted to start out riding in my neighborhood and had no interest in riding home from the dealership on one of the craziest highways in Houston (I45 past Woodlands mall is an idiot convention). I drove it across the dealership parking lot (had to be the first one to ride it) and then my neighbor drove it to my house. I live in a huge planned community and didn't leave the neighborhood for 2 or 3 weeks. Finally, started expanding my range more and more as I gained confidence and proficiency. For the longest time, I started every ride by driving to the nearby school with empty parking lot and doing a few drills I learned in class before I headed out for my ride.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23354 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started out with Mini Bikes as a kid, then a Hodaka Ace 100, then Yamaha Enduro's before I went into the Marines at age 18. I finally sold my Harley at age 65. I've debated on getting another motorcycle but stayed off.

For what its worth, you will:
*Drop the bike while in the garage, at a stop sign while placing your foot down on leaves or road gravel etc. sometimes with Traffic behind you honking at you while your bike is on its side. This will happen a few times.
*You'll crank the throttle too much and lose control at least once.
*You'll take a turn too fast and almost kill yourself.
*You'll get into at least one accident either making a left turn at an intersection or, rear ending a car even at slow speed.
You'll run out of gas at least once on a trip.

Many more but all I can think of now. Is it worth it, yup. At least have medical and life insurance arranged. Also, having a health care power of attorney is helpful.

Posts: 1456 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Get something that you can easily flatfoot both sides at a stop.

Posts: 9982 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto what everyone else has said. I will even go so far as to recommend a great beginner bike:
Suzuki 650 V-Strom.
Very capable, reliable and has good performance. Ride it a couple years and then you can make an informed judgement as to where you want to go in the future.
My only other suggestion is to look at bike with fuel injection systems. MC carburetors are a PITA.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16149 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your'e going to get a hundred different opinions on bikes, but here's my advice. Buy some good gear, take the basic MSF training course, get your license, buy a relatively cheap, light and not too powerful used bike, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, take a more advance training course, and then reevaluate your bike choice after you have at least a few thousand street miles.

Posts: 2494 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said it's a very personal choice. Given your intended use I'd go dual sport oriented with some hard side bags.

Posts: 1977 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post