SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Civil Air Patrol youth programs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Civil Air Patrol youth programs Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
My 13 year old is interested. I haven’t had any experience. He’s not in scouts or anything else, really.

Worthwhile program? I’m sure it’s unit-specific, like a lot of things. This would be in Charlotte, NC, so I’d expect it to be pretty strong.

He’s beginning to have an interest in the military. Two of my brothers are military (Coast Guard and Army). He’s planning to attend a high school in two years that has a JROTC program. He’s really looking around trying to find his way...I’m quite proud.

I did scouting and Air Force JROTC when I was a teenager. But no experience with the CAP.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Senior member of Civil Air Patrol here.

Think like scouting, but with an aviation/military program.

The top award for a young person is the Spaatz. Obtaining that award is recognized as a way to get an appointment to the Air Force Academy. Getting part way through the program to the Mitchell award can get someone in at E-3 to start after basic training if he/she goes in as enlisted.

Here is the Mitchell information:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.c...ll_C5EC2C05E822A.pdf

Here is the front page link:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/

There are composite (both senior and cadet) squadrons in Charlotte and Gastonia. I recommend arranging visits with both a few times to get an idea of how they perform.

Email me if you have questions.

Posts: 2776 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a CAP cadet as a kid, for six years. How and who is administering the program locally will make all the difference. Someone who is serious about it and cares about making it a good experience for the kids, will produce an excellent program. If not, then it sucks.

When I was a cadet, we had very little support, and ended banding together to make things happen. It was less than ideal. I did solo, and eventually became a mission pilot and cadet pilot while still a cadet. Cadets can't do that any more. They do have a number of programs available that cadets can get into, from survival and search and rescue, to rocketry, radio and communications, etc.

Cadets are often used at local air shows, on the flight line to help encourage people to not cross the rope and run into a propeller or jet engine. There are various encampments at military bases, large airshows and gatherings like Sun and Fun and Oshkosh, and other national programs such as solo encampments in gliders, and other activities that range from a weekend to two weeks. Cadets who enlist in the military and who have completed their "Mitchel" award will have a boost to E-3. For those who are interested, cadet experience also looks good on an application to one of the Academies.

Opportunities to get an introduction to flying are there, with orientation flights available in some locations.

I introduced my kids to CAP. The unit locally was terrible, took their money and never sent it to National. They strung the cadets along for some time, with no progress, and the kids finally bailed. They ended up going to Navy Jr. ROTC when they got to high school, and loved that. My oldest son became the cadet commander, and after that joined the USMC.

When I was a cadet, everyone ended up joining one branch or another after high school, enlisted, or a commissioned route, and I had several friends who went on to graduate from each of the academies.

My boys did scouts too; one became an eagle scout, but the others were less than enthusiastic; the scout program is similiar in that it really comes down to who is administering the program locally. A good leader makes all the difference.

I spent a number of years as a senior member in CAP, as well as a cadet. My personal observation is that it's top-heavy with military wannabe's, and those who want to wear a uniform and be important. The military grade assigned in CAP has no military weight, and those wearing it no real authority, but there are a lot of individuals who seem to think otherwise. CAP is a USAF auxilliary, and is a corporation. I got any enthusiasm for playing the game out of my system very early on, and developed a fairly low tolerance for the cardboard soldiers that infected the ranks. Again, however, it really comes down to the local leadership and culture; some places that kind of buffoonery is tolerated or encouraged, others it's just the opposite.

In Charlotte, I think you'll probably find good support and a well run program.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I was a CAP cadet for a couple years in the early 80’s. I really enjoyed it at the time. Learned a lot and got to visit/experience some cool places/ things. We met on base at DMAFB so that was really immersive. Also it was a large squadron that was well established. My path took a different direction so I didn’t stick with it. Very worthwhile in my opinion.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a good time with it. I went on several encampments on military bases. I went to a 2wk long search and rescue school. I went to a 2 week long Air Force survival school. We got rides in several different military aircraft.
The difference was our seniors, the adult staff, they made it good for us.
I was a active duty commisioned officer but did not apply to any service academy, so no comment there.

Make it count

Posts: 1415 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The oldest Son was in, 4 years plus. I think it did him a lot of good.

Yes, units vary. I think it’s even better with one thinking about the military.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
My daughter was in for 5yr or so and my wife got involved as a leader. She enjoyed it and was involved in many activities. She earned her Billy Mitchell Award and participated in a fly in Wisconsin. She got her Blue Beret. She was also head of their color guard unit.
It's good disipline and team building

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Senior member here. I’ve been a member for 15 years. Although I am not in a composite squadron the cadets that I have encountered are mostly very motivated and very sharp. They are sponges for information and want the challenge of the tasks.

Yes there is a wide variation in ‘quality’ of squadrons so if possible I would shop around.

Over the past 6 or 7 years the focus of CAP has changed - we are getting a lot of really interesting missions and are doing a lot of joint projects with the Air Force and unmanned vehicles.

It is what you make of it.

Posts: 53221 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Can't think of a better program for a kid interested in aviation and public service.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3765 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully they have some stuff going on despite covid. Either way we are going to give it a shot!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
My son, who is now a Marine, was a cadet for 4 years. That earned him one rank up when he enlisted in the Marines and graduated from boot.

I think of CAP as a sort of JROTC program, better run, and with a high quality cadet. My son's was at Langley AFB, Virginia. A couple to times a week, IIRC. He loved it. And I thought the young men and women cadets I met were very good young men and women, indeed. Lots of leadership skills taught, among other things. It all culminates in the "Encampment" each cadet is encouraged to attend at least once while he or she is a cadet. It's multi-week long summer camp for cadet where they put into practice what they've learned. My son's encampment was at Fort Pickett, Virginia. After Encampment, he was qualified to start going on various CAP flights. He loved every second of them.

Highly recommended program. If your son wants to join, I think he will get more out of it than any high school JROTC program.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.c...ce_778814ECFD05B.pdf

My son in the middle front (with the grim look on his face) at his Encampment graduation.

After his first CAP flight ride along.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid, my family was dirt poor, no chance of getting into aviation. I was the dorky kid that swiped straws from the lunch room in grade school and used them to make little hang glider parts, and spent his breaks throwing paper airplanes.

In CAP, the deputy commander of cadets (think scoutmaster) was a delta airlines pilot, who made the offer: you guys pay for the airplane, I'll donate my time, to get you solo'd. I worked all summer doing two full time jobs, and over the course of a year, was able to afford to solo. Another year to get to private pilot. That chance wouldn't have happened without the offer of the delta pilot.

The program had six orientation flights available; each a half hour long, and were typically awarded with each initial rank advancement. We'd get a chit, or slip of paper that we'd present to the pilot, and each cadet got to spend that half hour in the pilot seat, operating the airplane under the watch of an instructor. Then he'd ride int he back seat for the next two cadets. A number of the cadets didn't want to sit in the pilot seat and some didn't want to do their flights, so I traded and bargained and ended up with extra flights. The first hours of instruction in my logbook are in CAP airplanes when I was fourteen and fifteen years old.

I went on to be an observer, riding along on search exercises or actual searches, and finally as the pilot on the CAP missions, and then as a cadet orientation pilot and instructor, giving the orientation flights to other cadets.

While very few cadets went on to have a career in aviation, I did, and given our level of poverty as a kid, it wouldn't have been possible without CAP.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
^^^
Great story!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I was in Civil Air Patrol for about 15 years (late 70's thru the early 90's...the Golden Years of C.A.P.). I spent the first six years as a Cadet and the remaining years as a retired Cadet (Senior Member).

As many have already mentioned, the quality of the program varies with each local squadron. Some are focused and have a great program, some, are nothing more than glorified flying clubs.

My last few years as a cadet were the best because the Senior Members took a 'hands-off' approach to the Cadet side of things (this was a composite squadron) and let the cadets run things. We made up the meeting schedule, planned activities, training, etc. I learned a lot during those years and it carried over to my adult life. I was talking to my mom and I told her that I would not be where I am today if it were not for being a cadet in C.A.P.

As previously stated, most Cadets never go on to a career in aviation, or join the military. However, the leadership, discipline, and other skills acquired help them no matter where their life takes them.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
My son, who is now a Marine, was a cadet for 4 years. That earned him one rank up when he enlisted in the Marines and graduated from boot.

I think of CAP as a sort of JROTC program, better run, and with a high quality cadet. My son's was at Langley AFB, Virginia. A couple to times a week, IIRC. He loved it. And I thought the young men and women cadets I met were very good young men and women, indeed. Lots of leadership skills taught, among other things. It all culminates in the "Encampment" each cadet is encouraged to attend at least once while he or she is a cadet. It's multi-week long summer camp for cadet where they put into practice what they've learned. My son's encampment was at Fort Pickett, Virginia. After Encampment, he was qualified to start going on various CAP flights. He loved every second of them.

Highly recommended program. If your son wants to join, I think he will get more out of it than any high school JROTC program.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.c...ce_778814ECFD05B.pdf

My son in the middle front (with the grim look on his face) at his Encampment graduation.

After his first CAP flight ride along.

I was looking for my kid in that photo. My daughter loved it and was promoted a few times, the change in her self esteem was profound and cannot be understated. CAP and encampment were awesome. Getting to work the local airshow was also awesome. She loved her time in CAP.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
We heard back and they are unfortunately not accepting new members right now due to the limitations on activity. We will be following up as things improve though.

-JALLEN

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
All I ever wanted to learn about lugging dead burned bodies off the side of a mountain in the rain I learned in the CAP.

I later came to understand that our chapter was a bit unique. In the mid to late 70's in the Chattanooga TN area we "deployed", "reacted", I'm not sure what the term used was on multiple small plane search and rescue operations. Chattanooga is surrounded by mountains and is prone to a log of foggy conditions. We deployed more times than I can remember and one rainy foggy night we were the group that discovered the accident scene.

At regional and national events we found out that most chapters never went on a search and rescue mission. Rescue being a polite word. Never any survivors.

We had 8-9 adult pilots in our chapter and we got a lot of seat time in the air. Something else that was apparently a bit unique about our chapter. We spoke to cadets who never got to fly.

I got to do a lot of cool things and I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
CAP in NC is currently locked down more or less. I'm in the Gastonia squadron. There is a Charlotte squadron, Union County squadron, and Rock Hill. Each squadron has it's own personality. We have transfers from Charlotte and Rock Hill in our squadron (not because their home moved).

I'll send you some stuff tomorrow when I'm home. Its a great program for the youth. Sucks right now being locked down for almost a year doing nothing and some older cadets who are aging out will never make up what they missed. Every Friday CAP is assisting with the Gaston County covid vaccine effort, and in other counties. Forget Spatz top honor, 1/2 of one percent earn that.

Gastonia is accepting members year round. Union County accepts in groups, a couple times a year. Not sure about Charlotte or Rock Hill.

Our squadron commander is the one who found Maddox Rich at Rankin Lake, and cadets participated in the search.

I'll email your profile tomorrow.

Posts: 4013 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
CAP has been locked down for meetings and activities but it varies from state to state. They have a risk assessment schedule and some states can open up while others can’t.

One of the big problems right now is that kids are virtual learning and then have a virtual CAP meeting or activity. I think they’re over saturated with covid crap and it sound to surprise me at all to see a major reduction in cadet members. I know we are also facing retention issues with some senior members.

Hang in there. It will get better but take the time to investigate the squadrons in your area - they should be happy to give you the contact info on squadron commanders.

Posts: 53221 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Chongo - I don't see an email address in your profile so if you want me to send you some info please email me at tinscale@gmail.com

Posts: 4013 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post