SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air down tires for snow?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air down tires for snow? Login/Join 
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Konata, it's a good thing to have a healthy respect for driving in snow and ice but it looks to me like you are getting a little carried away with trying to accomodate every contingency.

I don't know what type of roads you will be traveling on, but you can navigate most winter road conditions with just proper snow tires and sensible driving, if you will be dealing with mountain passes then tire chains are recommended.

Driving across the interstate, like here in South Dakota, for instance, you can run into icey roads, blowing and drifting snow and proper snow tires and sensible speed will get you through most of it. The noise from tires chains on the interstate will drive you nuts in short order, particularily if you break a link and it starts beating the shit out of your wheel well. You won't be able to go any faster than you would by taking it slow and easy with just snow tires. Having winter emergency gear in your car is a given.

Driving in snowy, icey, blizzard conditions can be stressful as hell so try and avoid it if at all possible.

Regarding your question on cleats for your shoes, cleats are always handy to have particularily if you have to walk on glare or thick ice or hard packed snow. Also, a good, solid winter boot will handle most of your situations too.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Yes, I'm probably overly paranoid and over thinking.... My wife will be with me and I probably tend to exercise more caution than if I travel alone.

Okay - since I can't figure out which wheels to install them on (the car manual is conflicting) and not sure what to buy or where, I'll go without. I'll just assume per R2 that if 2wd w/ chains are okay, I'll be okay with AWD and K02 as long as I go slow and easy. Highways to/from ski resorts should be relatively maintained and plowed (big biz) I guess.

I'll pick up some cleats for shoes. We just have normal hiking boots.

Obviously, we don't go to snow regions much so don't want to buy a bunch of gear. But $25 cleats I can handle Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13086 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. Yes, I'm probably overly paranoid and over thinking.... My wife will be with me and I probably tend to exercise more caution than if I travel alone.

Aside from the equipment on your cars, I have a military sleeping bag in each vehicle during the winter. Even in a populated area we have had situations where cars are stuck on the highway overnight.

Although I rarely use them, I also have a set of Yaktrax which I can slip over my boots for ice traction when walking. Pro tip that I learned quickly. Take them back off once you're off the ice because they are very slick on smooth concrete or tile.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
No, you don't need to air down tires. Tire pressure will decrease anyway because of temperature, don't do anything to lower it further.

I'm assuming you have auto 4 wheel drive. Leave it in auto when conditions are good. If things start to get consistently slick, lock it up into 4 hi. If things get real bad and you're stuck 4 lo may come in handy for getting unstuck.

BFG All-Terrains are a good all around tire. Most are severe winter rated with the snowflake and mountain symbol on the sidewall. They work well in most conditions. They do kind of suck when it's wet. Packed snow they are awesome! On ice, they're ok but they aren't a dedicated winter tire like Blizzaks or studded snows.

I've got BFG's on my truck and drove across the interior of Alaska and the Yukon Territory to go to Haines last month. No complaints at all on the tires. Driving conditions sucked! Lots of snow almost everywhere and black ice on the Haines Road.

This was the Tok Cutoff on the way back to Anchorage.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11884 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Surely somebody said it in these 4 pages, but just in case, please -- leave a lot of room between you and everyone you can. Especially downhill. Sliding is not a wreck until you hit somethin'!

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
four pages ! ? Big Grin

I totally agree with 25% of the previous posts

I disagree with 25% of the previous posts and
I don't understand the other 50%

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Made it to the snow and back. Thanks for all the advice above. Took it slow and smooth; didn't have any issues but it wasn't a very comfortable experience.

It'll be awhile before I replace tires but I'd definitely be open to something that is still sturdy and capable off-road while also providing better capabilities in ski country.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13086 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
because I am waiting for someone to get out of a store or doctors appt. and have nothing to do ,

I notice peoples tires in the parking lot ,
on occasion.

I am amazed that people are so ! busy that they can not take the time to have their tires rotated.

two thirds/ three quarters worn on the front and pert near brand new on the rear Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post