SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help valuing / finding homes for WWII art, propaganda posters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help valuing / finding homes for WWII art, propaganda posters Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
So short back story, my dad passed this last February from you guessed it. He had an impressive collection of WWII memorabilia…mostly very nicely framed, some original, war time posters. He was also an aviation nut, several are prints of famous WWII aircraft as well as some current military planes. More than a couple of these are autographed by pilots, etc. An example is a beautifully framed print of the Enola Gay signed by the flight crew. I took quick cell phone pics of most of them, there’s too many to post here but I’ll put a couple up for examples. The dilemma is that we need to find homes for these. Some are bound to be quite valuable and while we’re not necessarily looking to profit here, we don’t want to just give them away either. One of the last things dad told me he wanted done was to evaluate this collection and find new owners. I’m at a loss, I’ve made a few calls to local people but have no real solid leads. I don’t know how framed artwork could be shipped and stay intact, based on that it seems local buyers would be best…? What are y’all’s thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dry-fly,

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was on vacation in I believe it was Kauai or Maui there was a store that specialized in selling all kinds of old military posters and similar memorabilia I’ll try to find the name of it. It was a really cool store. Very cool pictures btw

Posts: 418 | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you^^.

BTW, if anyone has advice on how to successfully ship this kind of stuff let me know. I’m not against shipping, just not convinced it can be done safely.

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.aproposter.com/lis...pean-posters-hawaii/

This is the store. Not sure if they’d be able to help, but worth a shot.

Posts: 418 | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyledavidzim:
https://www.aproposter.com/lis...pean-posters-hawaii/

This is the store. Not sure if they’d be able to help, but worth a shot.

Thank you for that! I’ll check into them.

posted Hide Post
I would suggest contacting a high end auction house like maybe Southeby's or similar. They can offer great advise and sometimes have local appraisers depending on your location. I hope this goes well for you.

Posts: 520 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Heritage Auctions in your neck of the woods. They are biggest in coins & currency but also do all kinds of other things. The link takes you directly to their Americana Historical Department. When I was into numismatics, I bought and sold through them. Incredible operations they have. They are the Sotheby's and Stack's of the South.

Q

Posts: 26456 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Awesome guys, thanks so much.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
for actual art, (as in prints of paintings) there is a website called Art Expediter,

http://artexpediter.com/

it's Trade only, and you may have a gallery nearby that subscribes,
(We used to ,, but dropped it years ago)
it's basically a blue book for Art on the secondary market,

we moved our prints for sale to Ebay,

you may want to do a search there (completed auctions, click the sold box) to give you an idea of what going rates are, if you can find something similar,

as Q mentioned, Heritage is pretty well known, and from little I have heard, trusted,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10433 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would contact the World War II museum in NOLA, once things dry out. I am sure they have quite the number of contacts.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very good leads guys. Thank you