SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coin Collectors, Is This Worth Anything?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coin Collectors, Is This Worth Anything? Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
I never look at coins. I just toss change in a coffee mug, and sort it out by denomination into coffee cans and every few years I buy a toy with the money. It adds up. For some reason, I looked at the coins the other day before I tossed them in the coffee mug and found this. It may or may not be valuable, but oddly enough, 1964 is the year I graduated from high school.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.01$ Big Grin

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I'm far from a numismatist, but I think I can answer your question. No.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It might be worth slightly more than a single penny due to its copper content.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Not a surprise. Probably worth 2 cents to somebody. I’m old, but didn’t think I was that old. Big Grin

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
One cent to twelve dollars (for Mint condition.)

There were 3.8 billon of them produced.

See here:

http://cointrackers.com/coins/...964-d-lincoln-penny/

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
There are some 1964 error coins (mis-strike, double-strike, over-strike) that might be worth a little bit. Most pennies are common and worth nothing unless they are found in a mint state or proof condition, or have some other rarity.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That is real copper. Depending on market value it could be worth more by weight than $0.01

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
That is real copper. Depending on market value it could be worth more by weight than $0.01

Probably don't want to do that. The chances of getting caught are slim, but the consequences are hefty, silly as it seems:

quote:
Notice as of December 2006 it is illegal to melt down US Minted Pennies and Nickels, and there is a $10,000 fine to help enforce the law. It is legal however to melt down silver dollars, half dollars, dimes, quarters for their content.

From this page: http://cointrackers.com/buffalo-indian-nickel/

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I'll give you 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a BITcoin for it if you pay the fees and S&H. I can have my lawyer, Prince Tubathune Ironokeyo of Dahomey draw up the papers, if you advance me $239.27.

I keep coins like that in a small box in my dresser. It's a parting gift for my child who will find it and wonder why the Hell Dad kept them.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Unless it is Mint State 64 or above, it's worth just a penny. Your penny is not Mint State. Probably AU 55 at best.

Q

Posts: 26351 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
One cent to twelve dollars (for Mint condition.)

There were 3.8 billon of them produced.

See here:

http://cointrackers.com/coins/...964-d-lincoln-penny/

Thanks for the link. I really didn’t think the coin would be worth anything, but I was surprised to find something that old in my pocket and the year I graduated from high school. The edge of the coin is worn flat, or maybe there were no ridges on the edge?

---------------
Gary

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I'll give you 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a BITcoin for it if you pay the fees and S&H. I can have my lawyer, Prince Tubathune Ironokeyo of Dahomey draw up the papers, if you advance me $239.27.

I keep coins like that in a small box in my dresser. It's a parting gift for my child who will find it and wonder why the Hell Dad kept them.

ROFL! Cool

I’ll probably put it someplace safe just because it was the year I graduated from high school, but most likely will forget I have it.

---------------
Gary

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
My father had a shoe box that was rather heavy. In the box is a bunch of silver dollars. I have not had the box out for years nor did I ever give them more than a cursory glance. Might be interesting to look at them a little closer. Also in the box is a Hamilton pocket watch that I found to be worth $1k about 5 or more years ago.

---------------
Gary

posted Hide Post
It's pre- 1982 so the copper is worth 1.8511 cents

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might be good to keep for you grandkids someday.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post