SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Airbrush feedback and recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airbrush feedback and recommendations? Login/Join 
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted
After following a SIGForum thread on air compressors last year, I purchased a very quiet California Air Tools compressor that was similar to one recommended in that discussion. Now, after wanting one for years, I’d like to add an airbrush for painting models, model railroad equipment and scenery, carvings and moldings, and 28mm miniatures, as well as possibly experimenting with painting some miscellaneous art (I’ve looked through the old airbrush threads from a few years ago). I already have a combination regulator and moisture trap, a cleaning pot, and the hose and disconnect to the regulator with a ¼ NPT female outlet.

As a new airbrush user on a budget ($100 max before tax, meaning I can’t afford the preferred Iwata Eclipse HP-CS—kit plus add-ons, about $200), I’ve looked at a lot of potential options and narrowed down to four semifinalists, all double-action, gravity feed, that meet my budget now that might also compliment the Eclipse a year or two down the road (after adding quick connectors):

1. Paasche Talon TG-3AS (formerly TG-3F) Airbrush kit, with 0.25mm, 0.38mm, and 0.66mm needles/nozzles and fan aircap, and 6’ Paasche hose. Made in USA. Complete kit = $108 (a Home Depot gift certificate can cover part of this, hence exceeding stated budget).

2. Badger Model 105-1 Patriot Fine Airbrush (with 0.5mm needle/nozzle), plus 10’ Paasche hose, plus Badger to Paasche adapter. Airbrush made in the USA. Total = $100. This one also has a Super Detail conversion kit (0.3mm needle/nozzle assembly) available for about $23 more to allow the set to grow in the future as my skill grows.

3. Neo CN for Iwata Airbrush with 0.35mm needle/nozzle, plus 10’ Master hose, plus NPT-BST adapter. Made in China for Iwata. Total = $80.

4. Master G233 Pro Set kit, with 0.2, 0.3, and 0.5mm needle/nozzle sets, 6’hose, plus NPT-BST adapter. A semi-clone of the Japanese-made Iwata Eclipse, this is made in China. Total = $50.

Can any SIGForum airbrush users having experience with any of these airbrushes provide their insights and recommendations? Thanks!

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2108 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I started off with the above mentioned Paasche brush. Brush is ok, but the trigger is not as nice as the Iwata you mentioned or a Harder and Steenbeck, for example. I also found that, despite having the extra needles, I rarely ever used anything except the mid-sized needle.

I'd probably get the Badger or the Iwata, were it my money.

FWIW, my normal "workhorse" brush is an Iwata Eclipse and I use either a Bader Sotar or a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution for more detailed stuff.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will gladly Karma a couple to you, haven't used them in years, but they were good to go at that time. Email me your addy and I'll send them out.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Wow - this is a generous place. Nice, wreckdiver!

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4235 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks, wreckdiver! E-mail inbound!

Oat, thanks, too, for the reply and info. What is your hobby focus?

Any other feedback on the models listed would still be helpful, too! Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StarTraveler,

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2108 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me know how those units work out for you. Glad I could be of assistance!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post