Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Member |
Both are hybrids. Both priced about the same (w/in 5%?) given similar feature set (say, camry se awd and prius xle awd). Dimensions are pretty close but camry has more space and more power. Is toyota trying to shift demand from prius to camry? Or why would anyone buy a prius now? I'm basically ruling out prius but think I might be missing something.This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88, "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book | ||
|
Member![]() |
To me, the Prius looks a fair bit smaller than the Camry. The Prius also gets a bit better MPG better on average, comparing similar trims. These are using a MY2026 as a basis. Camry AWD XSE: 43/43 city/hwy Camry AWD XLE: 46/46 city hwy Prius AWD XLE: 49/50 city/hwy Base to base comparison is closer but the Prius still wins Camry FWD LE: 52/49 city/hwy Prius Base: 57/56 city/hwy The Enemy's gate is down. | |||
|
| Member |
I look at the MPG and consider it comparable - not enough to influence purchase decision; fair that it may be a stronger consideration for others but for me, it's basically the same. 5000 miles annually = 16 gal delta = $100 per year difference; I'm not sure that's influential to the purchase decision. Range per tank is about 560 miles each. Essentially same. Camry vs Prius Length: 193 vs 181 Wheelbase: 111 vs 108 Height: 57 vs 56 Width: 72 vs 70 Passenger volume: 100 vs 91 Storage volume: 15 vs 24 HP/Torque per pound: 232 / 3700 = 0.063 vs 194 / 3200 = 0.061 Specs are about the same to be mostly indifferent. Except the prius has a bit more storage room (hatchback vs trunk?) but also has reduced rear legroom (38 vs 34"; which doesn't matter for me since I rarely have passengers). So, I guess if one needs more storage space or if one needs more rear legroom, this may be a purchase consideration. But otherwise, it seems that the specs are fairly close now, including price. So, it still seems to me that generally you get more w/ the Camry (just a little bit more for most specs but largely indifferent). I'm missing something other than perhaps Prius (made in Japan?) is for the domestic market and Camry (made in US?) is more targeted for the US market? Any differences that may have existed in prior models years have shrunk to indifference? If prius is made in Japan still, perhaps that would be influential to me.... "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book | |||
|
| What is the soup du jour? |
Alex on Autos discusses the Camry vs Rav4 and the Camry vs Prius in his 2026 Camry video he posted recently. The Rav4 comparison is discussed in the comfortability/size portion, while he compares against the Prius in the value portion more towards the end. Might want to watch on 1.5x | |||
|
| Member |
Thanks. Interesting. I think one thing I should do is ride a prius (have done in japan several years back so just to get a feel of current model). If the ride is good, it may come down to made in Japan vs US.... All other specs are mostly comparable to me... "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book | |||
|
| Thank you Very little ![]() |
Camry is built in central Kentucky, lots of jobs there from the plant to companies that supply the plant parts. Plus with a Camry you are part NASCAR supporting, which means 'Merica! Prius means you love weed, hemp shirts, skinny jeans, listen to the Grateful Dead and watch Jimmy Kimmell.... | |||
|
| Hop head |
my limited experience, test drove a prius years ago 2013 I think rode well comphy, did not handle well (subjective, I was coming out of a Cooper) on offramps, but would fly down the highway had a rental camry, LR. 2015 not hybrid, rode like a sofa, but a firm sofa, handled well quick for a 4 banger you could put 2-3 dead bodies in the trunk https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/ | |||
|
For real?![]() |
Test drove a Prius, Camry and Corolla with my son. He ended up with the Corolla and said it's like a blend of the two. He's happy with it. He shipped it to Italy when he got deployed there and says he's happy he didn't get the bigger Camry. But if you're wondering about MPGs, go watch an old Top Gear video of the Prius vs. BMW M3 with regards to gas mileage. lol Not minority enough! | |||
|
Member![]() |
The Enemy's gate is down. | |||
|
| Thank you Very little ![]() |
Ask and ye shall receive.... | |||
|
| Partial dichotomy |
You've gotta decide which look you like better. It basically comes down to that. | |||
|
| Casuistic Thinker and Daoist |
Interesting choices as the Camry is considered a full sized car (really) and the Prius is a compact. There really is a pretty large different since the Prius is 10" shorter than the Camry. I used to hate the Prius, but it is now in it's 5th generation and looks much better, besides being more refined. For me the Camry defines "boring". both in the way it drives and what it requires from the driver. Granted the Prius isn't a much more exciting driver, but I don't think that is what you are looking for. I'd go with the Prius just for the additional cargo space No, Daoism isn't a religion | |||
|
| E tan e epi tas |
Well we own two Camrys at this time so........ Honestly the Camry, today, is the smarter choice. Its more of a "normal car" so to speak. More room, easier to live with etc. I actually like the Prius. Love the way they look (never thought I would here those words come out of my mouth but here we are. After 2000 miles my Camry XSE (The heaviest/big tire'd one) is averaging 47.3 MPG by the computer and my calculations bear that out to be pretty spot on. My daughters same XSE trim etc. is averaging 45.9 and she is a new teen driver and certainly not "gaming" the MPG like I am. Normal trunk, normal back seat, giant center console storage, normal dash etc. etc. Other than it being a car (I am traditionally a truck/SUV guy unless its a toy car) there are no downsides, no weirdness, no compromises. Thats just my take. Take Care, Shoot Safe, Chris | |||
|
| Member |
We have one camry - current gen but early year. It drives really well. It only has 4 cyl but it has enough power to get around town (coming off a 3L V6 you could feel the difference but the gearing somewhat compensates). I like the way it drives and handles - very firm compared to camry's of old. This gen camry is definitly not boring, at least not the SE trim. Both the prius and camry would fit my needs (this will be my car; the camry is my wife's although we may switch such that she drives whatever we buy and I use the "old" camry). The size difference isn't relevant for me. It's just me and I'm not a big guy (relatively). I don't have passengers and don't carry a lot unless we go on trips. That's when I debate camry trunk vs prius hatchback. The primary debate is US vs Japan manufacture. Over the decades, all of my toyota's have been made in japan; exception is only the latest camry which has been really good so far. I'm still leaning toward the Camry unless I consider made in japan more heavily. This thread: I'm just surprised how similar the camry and the prius are in specs and price. To the point where I'm almost indifferent. Not sure why they need both models.... "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book | |||
|
| Member |
I would go with the Camry. Have you looked at the trade in value between the two? | |||
|
Member![]() |
My wife had a current generation Prius for a lease. It looks a lot better than the old ones and is pretty fun to drive. It's hard to get in and out of for some people due to the angle of the windows and low seats. On the higher trims, they use an odd tire size that's a pain to find. The Prius also doesn't have a spare tire. I think the Camry still does unless that changed recently. 十人十色 | |||
|
Member![]() |
We recently bought a 2026 Camry SE AWD and just love it. We did not even consider the Prius as it obviously was a smaller car. The MPG between both are so close IMO it does not make a significant difference in savings unless you drive like a million miles a year. Either is a great choice for the one that suits you best. | |||
|
Member![]() |
Plus means you like to drive in the left lane at exactly the speed limit. | |||
|
| Member |
I am really shock at the fuel consumption on these sedan. We rented a car to travel for a wedding. It was a drive there. Stay a few days and drive back. We got an Altima. I must have gotten 40 plus mpg. Set cruise at 75... Frankly, between the Camry and the Prius, with the mpg so close, I'd get the camry for the comfort. | |||
|
| Member |
Question for the folks who have a Toyota (or similar?) car with electronic AWD. I just found out that the AWD in the Camry is electronic only, no drive shaft (like in my truck). It's mostly FWD unless the car senses a situation where AWD is indicated and then provides torque to the rear wheels electronically via battery operated motor (sounds like up to 40HP). Is the Camry AWD actually useful? Or is it just a gimmick? Is the potential increase cost of maintenance and failure worth the benefit? I'm not one who has a budget to just pay for it regardless. But willing to pay if it actually provides a benefit in rain / light snow. Safety is king. BTW, I heard that prior model years of Toyota AWD had issues with some connector under the car which corroded (road salt, etc). I assume that's addressed in current model years - $5K to fix? "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata | Page 1 2 |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

