SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Foods you have forgotten about, or didn't know about that you like.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foods you have forgotten about, or didn't know about that you like. Login/Join 
posted
Well, over the Christmas festivities and like I was Re acquainted with a food that I had often as a kid. I was at a little Christmas Eve get together before Christmas Eve Mass.

It was semi formal, with finger foods and light refreshments. I usually don't do this type of thing, but I was dressed up in my kilt, jacket and waistcoat so I figured what the hell.

Anyways, the food that I was reacquainted with was Benedictine. They had finger sandwiches with it. I haven't had any Benedictine for years.

Anyways, a week before Christmas a friend and I were talking about Christmas traditions and I mentioned Minced meat pie. As a kid, mom would make it and her awesome fruit cake. I couldn't believe it when my friend said that not only have she never had mincemeat pie, but never heard of it!

So, as I was going to her house for Christmas dinner, I made one. She loved it.

ARman

Posts: 3213 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Decades went by where I had forgotten about tiramisu. Had some recently and oh how delicious.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year, there was a thread about braunschweiger. To my recollection, I had not eaten braunschweiger since I was kid (oddly enough it was the English side of the family who liked it not the German side of the family). I've eaten braunschweiger a handful of times since then.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23646 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Homemade Perogis, stuffed cabbage and stuffed peppers. My great grandmother, my great aunt Francis and my mother made great ones. Francis also made a fantastic pepper steak.

One thing my mother used to make was a relish we had on pork chops. She used to home can it also. It was a sweet and spicy relish. I asked her if she remembered the recipe but that was after her stroke, she could remember it but not how she made it nor find the recipe.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8378 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Oh, wow. I forgot about Minced meat Pie!!

My Mom introduced me to it when I was a kid.
But being the ultimate Mom, Minced meat Pie sort of disappeared from our house after I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 24.
That was almost 35 years ago. And Mom's been gone for more than a few years now.
Thanks for reminding me of happy times!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Trix. My grand daughter loves a bowl in the morning. I had forgotten all about them so I had a bowl with her and I liked it!

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Trix. My grand daughter loves a bowl in the morning. I had forgotten all about them so I had a bowl with her and I liked it!

But... Trix are for kids. Big Grin

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The interesting thing about mincemeat is that there’s no meat. Frown

www.allrecipes.com/recipe/260314/mincemeat/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to find a restaurant down here that serves Shrimp Creole.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
Oh, wow. I forgot about Minced meat Pie!!

My Mom introduced me to it when I was a kid.
But being the ultimate Mom, Minced meat Pie sort of disappeared from our house after I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 24.
That was almost 35 years ago. And Mom's been gone for more than a few years now.
Thanks for reminding me of happy times!!

Wow! I have not even thought about Minced meat pie, what memories that brings back. I really miss it, however I only seem to think about it at Christmas time, odd.

Posts: 3865 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Mincemeat is a mixture of chopped dried fruit, distilled spirits and spices, and sometimes beef suet, beef, or venison. Originally, mincemeat always contained meat. Many modern recipes contain beef suet, though vegetable shortening is sometimes used in its place.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki
Mincemeat - Wikipedia

My grand mother, German, used to make mincemeat similar to what Wiki is noting back in the 40's and early 50's. Like many things in life tastes change over time.

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:

My mom baked mincemeat pies when I was a child (my dad liked them), but I don't think she ever put any meat into them. I did not care for them. (My favorite is chocolate meringue, a pie she also made very well.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
there's some great versions of 'minced meat' made with green tomatoes....a little labor intensive but we can up a few jars now & then.

Well worth the effort.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My mother has made Waldorf Salad all my life; apples, celery, walnuts, mayo...couldn't STAND it! Then one holiday about 10 years ago, I was at her house and of course, "IT" was there. I decided to eat some out of sheer courtesy and OMG...it was DELICIOUS!!! I don't know what in the world was different about it, but I couldn't get enough!

The only thing I can pin-point is that growing up, mother would make it the night before and then serve it the next day...maybe the ingredients got "soggy" overnight. So it might be the day it was awesome was due to the fact it was recently made and tasted crisp and fresh. Who knows...now I can't get enough of it when mother makes it. Weird...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastitsio

Grandmother came from Greece in the 1940's and made this dish. She passed in 2007 and the recipe with her.
A few relatives have tried and it's been ok but nothing topped hers.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

The interesting thing about mincemeat is that there’s no meat.
Is there any mince?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31378 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Lazy Woman’s Bread

Deep-fried two inch globs of bread dough. My mother used to make it. Delicious – the deep-frying process made it much different than any other bread. Hadn’t thought of it for years and years until this thread jostled my memory.

www.cooks.com/recipe/in8ox5fl/lazy-womans-bread.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

The interesting thing about mincemeat is that there’s no meat.
Is there any mince?

I figure it’s a verb. Smile

www.dictionary.com/browse/mince

Serious about crackers

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
My father likes mincemeat pie, his mother made it. I buy the canned filling but it is almost too sweet for me. His birthday is Saturday so I will make a pie for him. Many thanks for the post. Another rarity is Henny Penny casserole; chicken, mayo, celery, slivered almonds, cheese, potato chips...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5995 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up eating mince meat pie at the holidays. There WAS meat in the mined meat pies that my grandmother(German), and my mother made. Just a few days ago I was in Basha's Grocery Store(Az stores), and there on the shelf were jars of mince meat filling and the label stated that it contained meat.

I have not had any in many years now, as I don't bake, but I do really like it!!

Posts: 6709 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post