SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Health scare Tues. 3/12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Health scare Tues. 3/12 Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
Don't worry, I am OK and feeling completely normal now.

I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack, aka "mini stroke.") While at work, I lost all feeling and strength in my right arm and leg which made me collapse in a heap, and tried to speak but only garbled mumbles came out. During the ~20-minute ambulance ride from Elizabethton to Johnson City Medical Center I started to come out of it. I got a CT and later a MRI scan, some blood drawn (no problems found), vital signs checked frequently, fed "cardiac/"heart-healthy" food, prescribed some medications (baby aspirin and generic versions of Plavix and Crestor, but somewhat surprisingly not blood pressure) and released. My car had to be left at my workplace. I drove it home myself.

I "semi-retired" in late February, working just 3 days a week but on full duty, and had hoped to continue this through March and April so I can build up my savings some more, but I don't think I will now. Certainly not for the next week or two.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Holy cow. Take it easy, bro.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Damn, glad you're ok.

Posts: 3456 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Glad everything turned out ok.

quote:
prescribed some medications (baby aspirin and generic versions of Plavix and Crestor, but somewhat surprisingly not blood pressure)

If it wasn't indicated, there is no reason to prescribe. Was your BP ever high? You don't have to have hypertension to have a stroke. Even if you have very high BP when having a stroke, they want to lower it but still still keeping it above normal. Too low is also dangerous.

Q

Posts: 26398 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Very glad to hear you are okay.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeriel
posted Hide Post
Take it easy egregore and be safe.

Posts: 1462 | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Glad things turned out OK, you take care of yourself.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Very anecdotal, but the few people I know that have dealt with this were fine. Don't think about extra money now. Wait six months then pick up a few shifts or do some shade tree work.

Get well soon.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Glad they caught it. They missed mine. Turns out I had a partially torn carotid artery that had flung a small clot into the left side of my brain.

You should follow up with your PCP and ask for an ultrasound of you neck arteries to rule that out.

Good luck

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re okay.

Posts: 958 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Glad you're feeling better, but after an event like this a full battery of tests and scans would be in order to make sure what happened was truly transient and see if some hidden damage occurred that might not show up right away on routine followup.

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re okay. Take good care.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

If it wasn't indicated, there is no reason to prescribe. Was your BP ever high?
Apparently not. I do have a family history. My father and brother took/take, respectively, pills for it. Also (this was 15 years ago so may be outdated), a systolic of 160 or more will prevent you from getting a commercial driver's license. Mine was pretty consistently within a couple of points of 160.

FWIW, I remained conscious, lucid and aware of my surroundings during the incident.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:

Glad you're feeling better, but after an event like this a full battery of tests and scans would be in order …

I would hope the CT, MRI and the ultrasound I forgot to mention would cover that. Also, they kept very close tabs on me, checking at least 5 times for hand/eye coordination, following objects with my eyes, grip strength, etc.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Mine was pretty consistently within a couple of points of 160.

Your BP is pretty consistently within a couple points of 160 systolic on a regular basis?! Eek

Then that's definitely high blood pressure. You really need to consult with your primary care doc about that.

120 or less is considered normal.

Around 130ish is "borderline high blood pressure".

140+ is full-blown "high blood pressure".

180+ is an emergency.

So 158 or so is well into the high blood pressure range (and getting towards the really seriously high BP range)... That needs to be addressed.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post