SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I got burned on GB
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got burned on GB Login/Join 
posted
So....I purchased a "rare" box of ammo I needed to complete a collection on GB for $99. Shipper didnt ship for a week. Then he said a "friend" shipped it out. Tracking # revealed he sent it to the wrong address AND wrong apt #. I tried to fix it with UPS but I wasn't the sender....neither was the seller since it was sent by a "friend". I thought I had it fixed with UPS but has since been "lost". Fast forward I waited the required 30 days set by GB to file a claim known as "Buyer Protection Plan (or program)". Ironically the first $100 is on the poor sap who is filing the claim. Ex. $500 item is purchased and GB will refund $400 if they side with you. Needless to say since my purchase was $99 so I get bent over and its a total loss. Nice business model GB has in place. I did go against my better judgement and use PP to pay. Ammo is obviously against their terms so I wont even attempt to go that route to get my money back. First time I got burned so I guess I'm "lucky".

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Did the seller have feedback? Most will make it right if they're legit sellers

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cajunmuscle:
Ironically the first $100 is on the poor sap who is filing the claim. Ex. $500 item is purchased and GB will refund $400 if they side with you.

WTH kind of "buyer protection" is that?!?!

I've purchased a couple small-time items via GB. From some of the recent stuff I've read here on SF, I don't think I'll use them, going forward.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Did the seller have feedback? Most will make it right if they're legit sellers

He had mostly good feedback, but a few people who complained. I took a chance since it was a smaller purchase. I left him bad feedback obviously. Hopefully his days on GB are over.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I doubt he will leave, he can just open another GB account, GB does not care about all the problems, they are the big kid on the block and nobody has been able to take away their business so they really do not care. GB only cares about getting their money.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
GB only cares about getting their money.

GB is merely a "facilitator". They are neither the buyer nor the seller... they only arrange the meeting.
Buyer beware.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you used paypal I'd use it to get your money back and play dumb about the policies. Added bonus the seller might get their PP account locked for violating their terms of service.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Did you pay with a credit card? Tell them about it, if so.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GB will do nothing as they made their money with the sale already. I also think their "buyer protection" is crap. I had to use it once and it was a pain in the posterior. It took a few months for reconciliation and it did not leave me whole. Now, no matter how good the deal is, I only buy from sellers with positive feedback, which could be to my dismay but recalling my prior issues, it's not worth the hassles with GB. Sorry to hear about your situation as I have been there.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
GB is merely a "facilitator". They are neither the buyer nor the seller... they only arrange the meeting.

So is eBay, but eBay will make you whole. I know: They've done it for me. GunBroker sounds like "Too bad. So sad. Deal with it."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Buyer beware.

My first instinct would then to be a run around and contact the seller/buyer outside of Gunbroker after first contact. Can that be done? Why? Because Gunbroker only arranges the meeting.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
File with PayPal say it was collector ammo not for shooting

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

So is eBay, but eBay will make you whole. I know: They've done it for me. GunBroker sounds like "Too bad. So sad. Deal with it."

eBay does not always “make things right”. Sometimes they side with the seller even if the seller does not come through or cheats the buyer. I have experienced it. I have also experienced eBay deleting negative feedback that was warranted just because the high volume seller complained. eBay is all about protecting the high volume sellers that provide them high volume commissions.

Posts: 22 | Location: North GA | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Buyer beware.

And they get money all the way around. On FFL only forums I have heard numerous stories about nefarious buyers and sellers and for the most part, GB does not care. They get their money and that is their main concern.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
GB sucks. I wont use them again for a sale. I had a buyer back out of the deal, GB still charged me the fees as well as the bs sales tax. No help from them, email requests go unanswered. Scumbags, they are!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

ebay sides with the buyer,

and says FU to the seller,

I've been burnt by crappy buyers on ebay more times that I care to think about

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee40215:

I guess it's worth a shot....the will tell me to get bent, but I'll give it a whirl.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cajunmuscle:
quote:
Originally posted by lee40215:

I guess it's worth a shot....they will tell me to get bent, but I'll give it a whirl.

posted Hide Post
I'd do a claim with paypal, and call it an antique.......not ammunition. Paypal will rip the money back right away.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Sure sounds to me like the seller screwed you and is responsible... just because Gun Broker or Pay Pal are the big guys and have lots of money does not mean they owe you. But I think GB could at least slap the seller with a wet noodle or something. Seems to me like the seller should take responsibility for their 'friends' mistake.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post