SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tenants responsibility for safety equipment.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tenants responsibility for safety equipment. Login/Join 
posted
I received a call from my college age daughter, her apartments combined smoke/co detector is beeping.
It is an AC/Battery unit. I told her to change the battery and it still beeping.
She cannot see a manufacture date on the unit. She has high ceilings and no way to blow out the unit for dust.
She called maintenance, and they blew her off.

I told her to call non emergency fire to have someone check it out. Am I over reacting?

Posts: 1044 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
I received a call from my college age daughter, her apartments combined smoke/co detector is beeping.
It is an AC/Battery unit. I told her to change the battery and it still beeping.
She cannot see a manufacture date on the unit. She has high ceilings and no way to blow out the unit for dust.
She called maintenance, and they blew her off.

I told her to call non emergency fire to have someone check it out. Am I over reacting?

Nope, not over reacting, I'd do the exact same thing.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I would recommend she call the person responsible for collecting the rent instead of maintenance people. Explain the situation to them and see if it doesn’t get things moving.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Around here the renter would be responsible for battery replacement, but not responsible for replacing a faulty device. If she replaced the batteries and it's still not working property she needs to contact the landlord.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Smoke detectors are good for 8-10 years. After that they need to be replace.
Yearly maintenance is replacing the battery and vacuuming the unit. Monthly test are advised.

Given the location, I suspect the smoke detector has old batteries and is at the end of its life span.

This January I bought new detectors at COSTCO. No battery replacement and 10 year warranty.

Then there are those CO2 detectors.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
her apartments combined smoke/co detector - She has high ceilings and no way to blow out the unit for dust.

A high mounted CO detector is useless.
Good for smoke, lousy for CO.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I think I would just replace it and be done with it.

After all it's MY ass that would be saved by it.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
I think I would just replace it and be done with it.

After all it's MY ass that would be saved by it.

Bob

This. $20 isn't worth dying for.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
her apartments combined smoke/co detector - She has high ceilings and no way to blow out the unit for dust.

A high mounted CO detector is useless.
Good for smoke, lousy for CO.

Not if the HVAC is circulating the air.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I suggest she read the lease and see who is responsible for the unit.

It is NOT the fire department.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A majority of the detectors today have a built in lifespan, after the pre-programed life is reached they will start beeping and the only solution is a new detector.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5660 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Follow up.

Daughter made a second call to maintenance.
This time saying she would be calling FD for assistance if nothing was done.
Maintenance replaced the detector a few hours later.

So I'm guessing detector reached its end of life.

Posts: 1044 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Glad things got taken of. Those constantly beeping detectors make you want to take a broom and knock them down............. drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I was a landlord for 7 years, smoke detectors were 100% my responsibility. I’d have to get an inspection done every two years by the borough the rental unit was in and the very first things they’d look at were the fire extinguisher and the smoke detectors.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post